1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread a step closer

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

with Gillingham just one place above us and with the prospect of facing 3rd place Barnsley in the following game, over the last five games Gillingham have won one , drawn 2 and lost two. whilst town have won two, drawn one and lost two. in the form table that covers six games Gillingham are 12th and town are 16th .

if we are to keep our destiny in our own hands then the minimum is a point at least then we continue with some momentum,personally after dropping points last week and then having Barnsley in the following game we could do with a win.

with a number of players unwell we may face some changes in the defence and some players whilst recovered may run out of steam after 60 to 70 minutes.
    i would expect rickets to go with one player up front and if that is the case i hope Campbell starts, if he goes for a more attacking line up then have ferjiri with him.
    with laurent ill i dont know if norburn is fit from the Achilles injury?
    let us hope town start well silence the home crowd and score first, we seem to struggle when we go behind.

2. Zenfootball2

listening to the game on the radio , town seem to be on the front foot in an open game, we were fortunate that Gillingham hit the post, we sound as if we are having a lot of possession, Campbell and whalley come close .
    the commentators have mentioned a few times that town need to exploit the space in the midfield more, Whalley was a real handful in the first half hour and seemed to be at the heart of a lot of moves ,whilst Docherty runs seem to have unsettled them. just a pity all that dominance was not rewarded by a goal.however a very encouraging performance by town let us hope they can replicate it in the second half.
    with some players recovering from illness can town sustained that performance for 90 minutes or will we need some subs after 65 /70 minutes.

3. Zenfootball2

town are in 13th place in the tables and a bit closer to safety, after a dominant performance were town pressed high up the park , i always worry a bit after a good first half and no goals but town make the best possible start early in the second half and controlled this game, also pleased to see town continue to press after the second goal with Gillingham looking surprisingly rather poor.
    i have been critical of Beckles but he had a good game today and made a vital block late in the half.town manged to keep Eaves fairly quiet so a good defensive performance by town, Bolton went off injured so i hope it is not serious.

back to back wins for town as we hit 50 points.
    results go towns way as out of the bottom six teams only Wimbledon draw as the rest all lose.

4. Zenfootball2

Whilst not mathematically safe and we know how quickly the wheels can fall off, the combination of towns win and the results of the bottom six all help.
    not expecting anything from the next game but we will do well to get a point against Barnsley

5. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A fantastic result on the road that puts us tentatively at the edge of safety. It looks like consistency is starting to happen and results are going our way.
    Statistically we are at a very low percentage for relegation now.
    please log in to view this image

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  6. Matster

Forum Moderator

Check out @salopcast’s Tweet:

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  7. Zenfootball2

i am a pessimist Matster so i will be relived when we are mathematically safe,
    however Ricketts seems to have stopped the rotation , the players are mainly playing in there best position, we have had a few games with the ball on the ground more and less of the( long ball route one style(which i hate) the defence are still weak with crosses but we have been making less silly errors. so whilst i have been a critic of Ricketts, he the coaching staff and the players deserve some credit . were not long ago it looked as if we were going down and playing some dire football.

8. Zenfootball2

thanks for that

9. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Remember that as virtually the whole bottom half of the table is in a relegation fight that means roughly half the games left for those teams will be relegation six-pointers so 50 points and a good goal difference compared to almost all the others will almost certainly be enough for safety. Cant see us getting a result at Barnsley (a draw at best) but we should be able to seal the deal against Oxford. I am sure the Barnsley boss is hoping that Ricketts is more of a gentleman than Barton. The jury is still out on our manager - I was very worried when our form took a dip after he was appointed but he does seem to be learning fast. With the ability to bring in some players and a full pre-season we will see what he is made of next year.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  10. Zenfootball2

whilst we are improving (slowly) this team struggles if it goes behind so let us hope we have a bit more fighting spirit as we play our last few games.we have played three very poor teams and got 7 points, which is an improvement as we have struggled to beat teams around us and we do have an away back to back wins.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You WILL be staying up so have nothing left to fear. Too many points gap to the relegation spots and so many still to play each other. I said 48 points a while back and I have seen nothing to change that prediction. Trust me if ever there was a team to feck things up it's Argyle so I'm not breathing easy just yet.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  12. Zenfootball2

we have a habit of falling on a banana skin of our own making, whilst in the main town have had a dire season with the odd bit of relief , Argyle seem to have had a strange season ,they looked dead and buried ,then seem to get it sorted and were going up the table and are now struggling for points.if Argyle are your team i hope they stay up.

a number of teams below us are playing each other next so a lot of draws would be good news.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What you need is for the team farthest away from you points wise to lose and not draw. That way the points tally to them is maintained whatever you do. You are defo safe though. My Team is Argyle for better or worse and it is always a roller coaster ride. They make hard work of a good season and if they can blow a promotion they will generally do it. On the other hand if a relegation looks like it could happen they more often than not oblige. If there are 4 teams for one relegation spot on the last day and we are one of them I almost guarantee we will balls it up at the death no matter how many we have to lose by for the goal difference. I'm almost used to it now..

Matster and Zenfootball2 like this.
  14. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Think you should be OK Greeny - surely you can manage one more win from the last four games. I have never known a season with so many mediocre teams in it as this one but I reckon Bradford, Walsall, Southend and Scunthorpe will go down this year - Bradford are too far back and the other three have been in free fall recently. I will certainly be glad to see the back of this season.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think a lot of fans will be glad when it's all over greenhouse. I think money is pretty much what league one has been about this season. If you have some then you are fine but if you haven't, and there are a lot who haven't, then it's pot luck. It will be interesting to see which one of the "money" clubs manage to live up to spending because a couple of them won't.

16. Zenfootball2

it sounds like an essential attribute for both sets of fans is pragmatic stoicism .you are playing three teams who are below or near you so they will be down to who wont's it most.then you have Barnsley hope your team can turn it around.

17. Matster

Forum Moderator

Shame we missed out on at least a point on Friday. At least Walsall didn't win!

18. Zenfootball2

whilst we deserved at least a draw and with the chances we had we should have one but the difference was, there keeper made three one on one saves and they were more clinical in front of goal. another tough game next against a team in form and on a winning run.

19. Zenfootball2

a poor first half from town against Coventry ,they concede a soft goal and really did not get going for the first 30 minutes. Campbell sole shot the only save after 45 minutes of football.

20. Zenfootball2

Ferjiri scores as he come on from the bench, Docherty a real dynamo four points clear and we can relax for the last game of the season.