1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ linked with Villa

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedorDead, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

You're probably right BRR. I've said it before, but I wasn't happy with the appointment of LJ, primarily because of his inexperience. I now think however, that he's doing a pretty decent job and comes across as being a "thinker" within the game as opposed to a "blood-and-guts" kind of guy.

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

a straight forward look at horse racing you could say .........
    Flat racing is the premiership of horse racing .... Jump racing is the championship and point to point the lower divisions

But unbelievably a direct comparison on those taking part, the horses is not clear cut
    Junior or little Lee or LEE never as a combatant achieved much was in reality in the flat racing lower leagues .. bit like a selling plater .... that in its career might have won a race of low prestige ..but some of the major jump racing horses have a pedigree comparable to LEE, and when you look at some of the above average managers today they never commanded massive fee's or were the pin ups of the teams they played for ... Lee could be one of these, HE HAS CERTAINLY qualified to manage at div 1/ champs level will he train on to be a derby winner? time always tells the tale ....

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I made no secret of the fact that I thought LJ as a player was ok (not brilliant - just ok) and always gave 100% when wearing the shirt, which is more than some idiots have done over the years, but he received (and still does from some quarters) a disgracefully disproportionate amount of stick - and occasional abuse - because of his parentage.
    Having said that, I too was underwhelmed by his original appointment because for me he hadn't really had the time to grow into the role at any of his previous clubs.

Since he took over we have done well - I would have bitten anybody's hand off to be sat 5th in the Championship before a ball was kicked this season, and Lee must take a lot of the credit for this. I say 'a lot' rather than 'all', because we mustn't ignore the contribution John Pemberton, Steve Lansdown and Mike Ashton have made during this exciting time.

I have been particularly impressed with Lee's reaction to events unfolding during a game - his shrewd use of subs - he certainly understands what arsenal he has at his disposal and uses it wisely. I am slightly frustrated however as to why we can't always get it right from the start, rather than reacting (albeit sensibly and successfully) to being on the back foot - but that's just me nitpicking. He's doing a good job - with a good management team backing him up.

If he decides to go to Villa he will be leaving yet another project which was unfolding rather successfully, unfinished, so from that perspective I think he would be foolish to leave. However, Villa are a big club with a lot of money - he may be tempted by that, but he will be also stepping into an arena where expectations are MUCH higher than with us. He would be under the threat of the sack from day 1 at Villa, where with us he will be given time, money and wriggle-room to build and develop his side.

I hope he stays - I like him and he's (again) part of a strong 'team' which is battling at the right end of the table and we could do without the disruption of recruiting a new manager - but if we are forced into that position I agree with Redprintt that we should appoint Pemberton again - although I seem to remember that he (Pemberton) ruled HIMSELF out of the running during the last recruitment drive (??)
    We are starting to gain respect from the fans of other teams and long may it continue.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    manxrobin likes this.
  4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

5 of our next 7 games are away- We need LJ in charge!

5. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

Never thought I'd hear that phrase uttered!!

gdknac likes this.
  6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

3 OF OUR NEXT 4 AND ALL BOTTOM HALF TEAMS !

7. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

And I will say it a thousand more times I'm sure that I will never ever understand this stupid debate of "people hate lee because of who his dad is..." it's such nonsense and every time someone says it, they are yet to explain or back up how it makes any sense!!

I loved his dad and am thankful he gave us some great GREAT times, so where is the sense I'd hate his son? It's moronic!

I didn't like him as a player as he was one of our highest earners with the smallest amount of talent in the squad. Everyone of us would give 100% if handed the shirt for one game especially on the wages he was on, so there's no logic in that either to me.

As a manager he is leaps and bounds above what he was a player, but some of you are treating him as a god just because we are 5th, after he has spent more than any other manager before him. My original point was if Villa are daft enough to offer a relatively inexperienced manager in LJ the job, then he should certainly take it as he will never get an opportunity this big again, as like his dad, our club is likely the biggest he will ever manage in my opinion. I'd like him to stay though, even though I think he's not the prize asset at the club.

8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I'm not treating him as a god that's for sure, just respect that some on here have problems with.
    I personally thought he was a decent player, most skillful? no, header of a ball? no but nine times out of ten I could see how he tried to create chances for others, bit of a football brain, just didn't have the weight or height to go that one step further. By the way, there were many players who didn't give 100% under GJ, had they have, who knows..
    The hate and I mean hate came from his Dad putting him on the team sheet (boring)!
    Aren't you going over the top by saying he's leaps and bounds above what he was as a player?, this is only his first full season and anything can happen!
    Yes he's had money to spend (or whom ever has) but what I like is that he's using his football brain as a player and transferring it to his manager status and seems to be doing the right things..

At this moment in time, there are not many managers out there that are available that I feel would do a much better job......The haters will have their time as soon as we have a dip in form!!

9. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Although we are all assuming of course that there WILL be a dip in form.
    I'm not completely convinced about that.

In another universe, The City could win the title and romp into the Premiership in the same fashion as Reading or QPR under Clopout

Just hoping they can do it in THIS universe

10. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

But as you said onefor the haters will be there waiting to pounce on any managers poor form no matter who it is. LJ or Mourinho. And as you said for you "personally" he was a decent player, whereas for me personally there is no stat nor stand out performance that proves that, as he created as little as he scored in the way of assists or build up to goals, and if it wasn't what seemed like easily 75% sideways/backwards passing to Bradley Orr his pass completion rate would have been dire. So as a manager,he is by far better, and some of the best in the world have been able to manage but not necessarily play.

11. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

So true
    And as a manager he is highly regarded in football circles, so we had best make sure he realises that he is highly regarded here also.
    Otherwise when the day comes, he will look just a bit harder at the offer

12. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

There is little or no loyalty in the game, we all know that.

Players and Managers alike all have aspirations to play or manage with a top club and that wont stop.

13. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

So now we need to be a top club and a destination of choice for all things football.

14. bcfcredandwhite

So was Delboy.....

.... just saying ;)

15. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Next season we could be millionaires and in the Prem.

16. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yep we all see football differently, quite often Barcelona play the passing game.side ways and back!!
    I have no problem that some felt he was a waste of space and others like me felt he did try to play football..not just lump it as a lot of our players were guilty of that, even if our striker was only 4ft 9" lol.
    Don't worry, as I've said before in a previous post, if we start dropping down the table because of LJ's tactics, team selections, formations or crap subs then I will also be waiting to pounce like I have with any manager we've had!!

17. bcfcredandwhite

let's hope Steve Bruce gets the job

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I think he will be the next England manager.

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Just an opinon...

I think LJ would leave for Villa if asked, even though I think he would be crazy to do so. He has a very good thing going on with you lot and the Villa job at the moment is something like a poison chalice.

But I dont think he will be offered the job though. I think the Villa owner will want a big name, something like a Benitez name. I also dont think the Villa fans would be happy with LJ being their next manager as I think they will also want a bigger name than LJ. They may feel very underwhelmed by it.

The most sensible thing for LJ to do is to publically announce he has no interest in the Villa job. That will make his stock grow at City too.

<ok>

20. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

The Gashead speaks some sense. I'd certainly like Lee to reaffirm hos loyalty to City.....and to mean it!

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.