1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Get a Load of Rodgers, His Dossier Won Celtic the Scottish Prem Title

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by wishiwasinliverpool, Apr 2, 2017.

1. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

You forget he got Swansea promoter and solid foundation in the Prem. He got us to within a whisker of winning the league. To say he's a championship manager is doing him
    massibe disservice.

2. astro

astro Well-Known Member

So is most of the PL

3. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I think not. Rodgers had a trump card: Luis Suarez, not even his signing. He's the one who got us in the whisker of winning the title and yet 'twas still a whisker. I credit BR for getting Suarez playing that season. Apart from the Coutinho and Sturridge signings that's all he got right. The defence let us down as it always does.

When Suarez went it all went tits up, and don't try and convince me most of the Liverpool fans didn't have a hand in him going because they fkn did. One does not bite in the British Empire and all that ****e. Suarez was punished; and there was the Evra fiasco. FFS. He was done for both, but could we get over that? No.

Now the same mob who hounded him out want him back I mean WTF!

My point being that season was all about the partnership between Suarez and Sturridge it had **** all to do with Rodgers

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    jenners04 and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  4. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

In same way Barca was all about Messi and Pep had no influence over their domination? Rubbish, managers tactics got the best out of that team, changing its shape playing Sterling in 10 role and going wth a diamond and 2 up top. Suarez was the standout but to say it was all him and no rodgers is riduclous. But that standard when we did **** t was all the players and none of managers fault then. Can't blame him for the bad times and not praise him for the good.

mighty_stevie_g, Nozzer and Diego like this.
  5. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

West Ham just outside top six <laugh>
    Know what u mean but West Ham <laugh>

6. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Team with potential to be pushing.

7. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

Fair do's, but at the end of the day Rodgers is nowhere near in the same league and first chance he got Sterling did one and so did Suarez.

We came 2nd that season. Everyone says come top 4 and you'll get the big name players. Did they come? No. We spent £32.5 mil on Benteke who turned out to be a lemon. Even now Klopp is forced to do the best he can with Rodgers' buys. He's just about managing.

6-1 defeat against Stoke I mean come on! The guy should have been sacked after that!

jenners04 likes this.
  8. saintKlopp

Lots of people didn't like his personality and were judging him on that.
    I think he's a decent middling manager, not really top 4 material in the PL but then not many are, and I really can't go along with this attitude that because someone isn't at the top then they're ****e.
    Good luck to him - boring bastard though he is, there's a lot worse around.

luvgonzo likes this.
  9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think he could be a really top level manager if he adds quality to his bsckroom staff to challenge him.

He's had a bunch of yes men and low level people around him. If he wants to succeed at a top club, he needs to understand that the DOF structure is the norm and he has to be willing to work in that. He won't get the level of power he wants.

Re. 13/14 - he definitely deserves some credit for an astounding season, mainly for setting up the team around Luis Suarez.

But BR was fortunate that he had a world class player in LS, a fully fit Sturridge and a rising Sterling. Not to mention Coutinho! Arguably one of the best attacks in Europe that year.

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  10. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Yep if it's so easy how come Pep with Sterling, Aguero, De Bruyne and Silva hasn't even remotely challenged for the title this season?

11. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Rodgers has beaten what's in front of him with that side and that's all he can do. We all know it's a weak one-team league. Fair play to him

He's far from a brilliant manager but to be fair to the guy he's gone to that league, which is a massive step down from the sharp end of the PL and he knows it ego-wise, albeit to the best club in it, and got them playing with a decent style

What wound me up most about Rodgers was his ****ing interviews and Rodgers-speak, alright some of his totally clueless 'tactics' and selections in that last season with us too. He's won the league with Celtic as plenty of other 'decent' managers have who wouldn't get the sort of (maybe understandable) **** he's getting from us lot and who would be getting credit instead

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

You're referring to Pep's first season in the league? And also City won the league when we were closest ...

And you don't think SAS Sterling Coutinho is a better attack than?

13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

They were better, because of the work Rodgers did making them better

No one had heard of Sterling, and Sturridge and Coutinho had been written off at their previous clubs. Suarez didn't make us challenge for the PL before Rodgers came along.

Pep's won 6 top leagues, 2 CLs, inherited some of the best players on the planet, and was given a £165m net spend, and the result is **** all

Isn't this Conte's first season in the league? What about Ranieri's?

14. moreinjuredthanowen

judge not by scotland. judge by CL.

they were miserable in it but did give city a few problems.. maybe the fact is he's rubbihs but so are city :)

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  15. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Unfair to call him "poor", he's just not good enough for us. A midtable Premier league side could do worse.

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

Yep agree with MITO - his record in all European competitions is atrocious. Again, he needs to surround himself with quality to help make that jump up.

But credit to him - winning the league in that league is easy but winning in such an emphatic way is not.

BobbyD likes this.
  17. moreinjuredthanowen

If rogers has not at this point gone out to european clubs and really learned his trade and understood about real coaching class he never will.

The reality about him is hes gone and done the same again with his coaches in celtic. He's appointed a mate as his assistant Davies was at lfc with him and he knew the guy form this reading days.

the guy at least has the badges.

Trust me... he's never going to surround himself with quality form elsewhere.

however the point is well made, winning in a far more dominant way than ronnie the dork did shows that he's improved celtic.. that or scotland just got even worse.

The issue is this:

1. was it lukc of genius that bought moussa dembele for 500k... I don't know. celtic did buy him. was it rogers or what

2. i presume scott sinclair was rogers ask and he did very well up there for a guy who blew his career chasing the oil money at city.

3. It is very clear these two players have had a massive impact on celtic's season. they are top and second top scorers.

4. the other players signed has no real impact. so 9 of the first 11 are old celtic hands with 5 league titles.

So for me..... two transfers improved celtic and rogers is riding that wave. His next test is IF someone buys dembele out of there what does he bring in next to repeat the trick.

celtic have lots and lots of players cos they have far more money that those ****ty other clubs... it a period of dominance for celtic. 6 years in to a potential 9 or 10 year one.

If rogers actually fails to deliver 10 league titles in a row there... well... the record is 9 by classic celtic and the souncess/smith rangers

IMO a club like rangers will only catch them by spending big and i'm not sure they are ready to do it.

so..... if celetic actually fail to win another 3/4 titles i would be surprised.

18. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Lennon wins 2 ... passes the baton to Deila, wins 3 .... passes the baton to Rodgers ..... It would be more remarkable if he didn't win it!!

Poor old Moyes eh, if he hadn't been hanging round Everton waiting for a recall, it would have been him <laugh>

19. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Celtic don't win 10, 15 or more titles in a row.
    Fact is they've dropped 4 point all season, which is ridiculous. Even other leagues with dominant teams don't see the likes, even Bayern lose some games over a season.
    Celtic are so far ahead of the rest of the competition its going to take them years to catch up, if they ever do. It'll take a huge amount of money for any of the other clubs to be on the level of Celtic and that money just isn't there in Scottish football, you'd have to get an Abromvich or Oil Baron to make a difference now.
    It'll be 32 years since anyone other than Celtic and Rangers won the SPL, 32years and none of the other clubs have even got close to catching Celtic (or preRangers). Its not going to change any time soon.

The Turkey's really did vote for Christmas when they got rid of Rangers from the SPL, the only competition in the league was wiped away as was any interest or serious money, which will impact Celtic as well when they struggle in Europe every season.

20. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Celtic's income will dwindle down if there is no competition and people get bored/don't watch. As Celtic fail to have finances to sign good talent, they will get less attention and lose more money.

It may take a decade or more but Celtic will gradually sink until the league becomes competitive again.

A completely uncompetitive league isn't good for anyone. Even the top team.