1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zeki Fryers

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by green_day, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Where on earth do the Fail get their info from:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Fryers-feels-disrespected-Alex-Ferguson.html

"Fryers is said to have no sympathy for Ferguson, having felt undervalued by United after being offered £1,500 a week, despite having a £6m price tag. He is now on £20,000 a week."

£20,000 a week!?!? There's no bloody chance we'd offer an unproven (yet highly rated) player that much. I doubt the likes of Carroll/ Livermore/ Naughton earn that much (though if anyone knows, please correct me if wrong).

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Fryers better be good after all this hassle.

I keep hearing people say he could be the next Ashley Cole? I don't know if that's good or bad <yikes>

3. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Both probably,hope not,the last thing i want to see is his underpants plastered eveywhere <laugh>

4. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

The new Ashley Cole...he must be looking forward to having a go on Cheryl then!

5. rockspur

rockspur Member

I agree it's unlikely he's on that much with us. But one of the strange things about this whole saga is that it sounds as if Fergie wanted a transfer fee that was completely out of line with the salary the player had been offered to stay at OT.

6. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I seem to remember hearing(possibly from SC) that Caulker was on £20k a week before he joined Swansea on loan for the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we are paying him around that figure, we seem to be upping our wages in the past few years, offering more to Sigurdsson and Holtby than others were prepared to. The key seems to be the shedding of a lot of high earners who weren't wanted and getting these plays at cheap prices but there's still a danger of spending much more on wages and not seeing an increase in quality, realistically the chances are we've already signed a dud or two on high wages that we will struggle to shift. Lets hope Levy knows what he's doing.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

In a way I can understand Caulker being on that, seeing as he's an academy graduate and the club knows already how much potential he has. Plus coming through our ranks I think players should be rewarded with decent contracts.

Fryers on the other hand, he may well become a top player but at £20k a week, I'd be expecting him in the first team now and performing!!! <laugh> Though I trust Levy 100%.

Like you I'd be concerned though that we're signing overhyped duds, though I think Holtby (judging by reports and clips) could be an inspired signing. Sig on the other could be an expensive flop, think we paid £8m and he's probably on £50k/£60k a week and he's already looking like a player that may not have much of a future here, he's already behind Dempsey and no doubt Holtby's signing will push him down a bit further in the pecking order too.

8. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Think in terms of around £12k per week for Fryers and I doubt you'd be too far wrong <ok>.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Thanks Spurcat <ok>

£12k seems reasonable enough for youngster with promise.

I know Ryan Mason was definitely on £4k a week a few years back (may still be the case?) and with football's constant price hikes, £12k a week would probably be the norm for a youngster on the fringes of first team nowadays.

10. No Kane No Gain

I've got mixed feelings about it. I don't think Sigurdsson will be a flop but I don't expect him either to progress well enough to ever warrant more than what he's on now(around £50k allegedly) and I feel similarly with other signings, I think we're probably not getting many good deals in terms of players arriving on cheap wages. It's possibly a symptom of our improvement as a club over the years that players expect us to pay more but in general we're not paying as much on transfer fees meaning that there is the money to pay these players more without over burdening ourselves. My problem with this is that we're still buying quite a lot of players which I do think is workable in a squad looking to compete across the board but it also means that after all the investment in our training facilities we're still not looking to our own youngsters often enough and if the transfer of Moutinho or a similar player is on the cards then Carroll isn't going to get a look in and Townsend and Falque will probably find their chances disappear as Sigurdsson and Dempsey are increasingly seen as the cover for the wings.

11. notsosmartspur

Of those names mentioned I don't know enough of the foreign lad, but the first two, I can't see them getting a look in due to not being quite good enough for a top4 side, unless some quick improvement is on the horizon, they just seem a little short of something to me...apart from height! I don't think there's anything special there, so their inclusion is a weak link for opponents to exploit, so its Demps and Sig over them allday long for me.

12. O.Spurcat

I think (and hope) the club will persevere with Tom Carroll, at least for the next year or so. Townsend has been tearing teams apart in the under 21 league and his performance on Saturday against Coventry probably sums him up - he's a good impact player but is he capabale of doing it at this level for 90 minutes on a regular basis ?? As for Falque, there's several championship clubs looking at him for a loan deal and it will be interesting to see how he benefits from hopefully getting regular football, particuarly as his previous loan spell was a bit of a disaster for him.

13. O.Spurcat

Zeki Fryers played his first game today for us in a game against Charlton Athletic at the training ground. We won 4-0.

14. notsosmartspur

Hi SC

I do think both are good players, but whether they're steady PL players or top players remains to be seen, I think they fall into the Danny Rose category which is purely my assessment on what I've seen, which I know is far less than you, but there's not much I can do about that (other than shut up! <laugh>). What I mean my DR category is that he's another that would only be on the fringes here, but will do very well in a Sunderland type side. As I said, I think it really is up to the two lads to push on a bit, they are still young, but like you say the next 12 months will give a clearer picture.

On the subject of promising younguns, any news for Luongo seeing as his Ipswich time went pear shaped thanks to McCarthy?

<ok>

15. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What was the rest of the side like, SC?
    Is Millwall one of the sides that's eyeing Falque? They need a forward and/or a winger according to the people that I know that support them and it seems to be somewhere our youngsters thrive, bar Mason.

16. No Kane No Gain

Whilst it's hard to disagree with what you're saying about them being a weak link if they got games, it's the same attitude that has seen us only produce one academy graduate that has gone on to feature regularly in our squad since King.

I've doubted Falque and Townsend's ability to make it with us and am now starting to doubt Carroll, however they've impressed in their limited opportunities this season and not giving them the opportunities to build on that is only going to reduce their chances of making it at the club. There is an argument that they could be given loans but again, if they do well then there aren't going to be any extra places appear in our squad unless someone like Bale goes.

17. O.Spurcat

Miles, Fredericks, Fryers, Veljkovic, Hall, Mason, Carroll, Livermore, Obika, Townsend, Falque.

Goals from Obika (2), Livermore and Coulibaly who had replaced Obika.

The clubs I was told were interested in Falque are Leicester and Brighton.

<ok>.

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Looks like a strong side, in which I assume Fryers played left-back?
    I think that Carroll and Livermore could form quite an effective partnership, if they were given enough time together in someone's first team.

Two good footballing sides, from what I've seen.
    He might get the opportunity to link up with your old mate Gus... <whistle>

Cheers for the update, SC. <ok>

19. No Kane No Gain

Do you think avoiding being cup tied for a potential loan move might be why he wasn left out of our squad for the FA Cup match? I must admit I was disappointed he didn't get a chance, although we didn't really need another winger/attacking mid on the bench.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The OS and Charlton's site have the 4th goal down as a Townsend effort. I've been mislead! <wah>