1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zamora for Crouch?

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by oldnslow, Jul 31, 2011.

1. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

...............particularly if we could move Crouch straight on, we might get Kevin Doyle for £ 10.5m :)

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It would be a big gamble from Jol if he let Zamora go for Crouch. He'd lose a lot of fans backing him, cause I don't think Crouch is the same class as Zamora.

I don't believe the story that we are prepared to swap, but I can see Harry putting out a feeler to test our strength.

And don't forget Crouch refused to sign for us after Harry came in and nicked him for less money than we were prepared to pay Portsmouth for him. Remember off the top of my head that MAF was going to take the FA to court over some sort of interference?

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

All the legal shenanigans was nothing to do with Crouch. I think 'refused to sign' is a bit strong , too. He was interested in a move, then when Spurs came in - a much bigger club and at the time a better prospect for European football, with a manager who he had worked well with before - Crouch decided that he preferred that option. Nothing to blame the player for in that.

But I agree, the only way we should sell Zamora is if Bobby really wants the move and starts pushing for it. There's no point in keeping an unhappy player, as long as we get a good price for him and we can replace him. I hope none of that applies, though, and that Bobby stays right where he is.

4. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

If the offer is £10m + Crouch, I would take Crouch and buy Bendnter with the money... That would give us good strength up front. Otherwise a swap of Crouch for Zamora is non-sense and if Jol is reading these posts he knows our opinion. Actually Crouch coming in and Zamora leaving will be weaking the side significantly. And Defoe is no too.

5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

From what I remember of it

Portsmouth and us had agreed the fee,
    Crouch had the medical, sorted out the contract with him, ready to sign
    Harry came on Sky said Crouch...Great Player, Great Player, lovely guy, lovely guy, can't afford, can't afford him, way outside our price range.
    Week later Crouch signs for Spurs.:grin:

Reason Portsmouth gave was Spurs were prepared to give money up front, they had agreed we would pay by instalments, so their dodgy owners took £3m less for him and took the money and ran.

I still think Crouch is more of a Neusense than a good player.

Still remember the song we had for him when he play against us for QPR
    To the tune of Who Let the Dogs Out
    Changed to Who Let the Freak Out<monster>
    Poor Crouch was all over the place....couldn't kick, couldn't head or pass straight.

6. Captain Morgan

But Peter Crouch now is a very different player to the one who played for QPR.

I feel as if it is increasingly sounding like I want us to sign him - I don't - but he is a much better player, both in terms of technical ability and effectiveness on the pitch, than he is given credit for. He's got a decent goalscoring record at club and international level, and there was a time when we would have been happy to take him. That's all.

I think there's something quintessentially Fulhamish about him, too. My favourite Crouch story is the time he was doing one of those inane footballer question and answer profiles. His answer to 'what would you be if you weren't a professional footballer' was, 'a virgin'. Whatever else people criticise him for, you could never accuse him of having an over-inflated ego or sense of self-importance!

7. Cottagecravens

Zamora is a smoke screen and he's really offering for Dembele in return we get Crouch and dosh.

8. Captain Morgan

That would be more like it. If that is what Spurs are after, I hope we ask for Hutton plus cash rather than Crouch. Then we can spend the cash on an alternative second striker to replace Dembele. If we don't sell Zamora now (or in the next year), his value will soon drop, meaning that now is the best time to cash in on him. But selling is only good business if we can use the money to replace him, and I think it will be a lot easier to replace Dembele than to replace Zamora. El Hambaoui is still available, I believe, as are many other options. I'm happy for us to keep Dembele, but if selling him fixes the problem at right back and provides the cash for a new striker to play with Bobby, I'd take that.

Edited bit: Cottagecravens, it just occured to me to ask, do you have any basis for this, or is it just a hunch on your part?

9. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

My choice Crouch & Hutton

10. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

My choice Crouch & Hutton,straight swop.

11. Captain Morgan

Is that a straight swap for Dembele or for Zamora? I'm not sure I could see Crouch and Zamora flourishing in the same forward line, and as others have said I'd prefer to keep Bobby. Hutton and cash for a replacement in exchange for Dembele is the best option (or, keeping Dembele and just offering cash for Hutton!)

12. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

I'm with the Cap'n on this.

13. FFC_Madness

Personally don't want Crouch at all. Never really rated him and does not have an impact at all. Our defenders always had an easy afternoon against him. Hutton and cash on the other hand... yes.

14. Penguin

Penguin Member

The more we speculate about this the more it (at least the original deal) doesn't make sense. Zamora is a far better player than Crouch and I don't think Jol would trade one for the other (unless a huge amount of money was involved). Spurs are a bigger club than us (unfortunately) and they would pay Bobby more money but at Fulham he is number 1 choice for every game, popular with fans, team mates and manager - I don't see the Spurs fans warming to him (he wouldn't be "good enough" for them) and I don't see him being no 1 striker there which would harm rather than enhance his England chances. Finally, 'Arry 'as (presumably) quite a bit of money to spend and can afford a "better" striker than Bobby.

So I can't see it happening. The proposal being a smokescreen for a deal involving Dembele whom, as I recall, 'Arry was interesting in last year, I do think is a possibility. I don't think Hutton's name has been mentioned by anyone except us but its certainly an interesting idea.

15. Cottagecravens

Just a hunch. I don't think Harry is done with this one. A knock to VDW at Brighton over the weekend plus him bleating on about injuries plus if Modric goes he will have to replce. I think he would re-visit.

16. FFC_Madness

If Chelsea are to sell Zikhov and get an improved offer for Modric, Spurs will have more cash to splash out. I think either Zamora or Dembele for £10m plus Hutton will do for me.

The key to everything is what Dempsey will be doing (only based on what I read on other posts). The last thing we can afford is to let two of Zamora, Dembele and Dempsey go. We will be left too weak up front.

17. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'd rather keep our better players and swoop for Hutton.

18. valjing

valjing Member

Many think Harrys offer is somewhat derisory.
    But lets face it Harry the spiv,its the sort of offer one expects from a chancer.

19. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Well said Bidley. Don't understand where the talk about selling/ tading Dembele and Dempsey, never mind Bobby, comes from. Okay they're the players we'd get most for but why sell the family jewels.

Some hard facts -

* the club is currently £190m in debt; most owed to MAF in the form of interest fee loans. But
    * we are nonetheless paying £4m in interest pa
    * 69% of annual turnover goes in wages
    * only £10m pa is being raised from commercial activities (the Kappa sposorship is a misely $2m)
    * the latest accounts (published recently) show an aannual loss of £17m

That situation can't continue indefinitely but unless MAF pulls the plug (mind you he is 82), I repeat why sell the family jewels. And bringing high wage earners is no answer. Nor is bringing in players who would keep us at the top of the 'pensioners' - as we have been on average squad ages for the last two years.

Jol said that a couple of weeks in the job that he had only had a saquad of 19. Since the he's added 3 new players (okay keeps the age stats up). But he's clearly chasing the younger player policy in going after Jerome (£5m), Verhoek (£3m) and Immes (loan). Two forwrds and a midfielsder. This makes sense and will keep the wages in perspective.

If we really must offload, look to Johnsaon, Etuhu and Kelly. But whatever leave the stirring and horse trading to Lairy Ha(i)rry.

20. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

No. Just no. You trade them and you may as well give up.

Crouch and Zamora up front together however would be good.