1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zaha a good fit?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by A Touch of Clas, Jul 12, 2012.

1. A Touch of Clas

A Touch of Clas Active Member

Reports today rumour Saints with an £8million approach for Palace pair Wilfried Zaha and Nathaneil Clyne.

I wouldn't mind this deal coming off, if of course we have a genuine interest.

Clyne is a promising young defender who I've always thought we should try and sign since January.

Zaha is a good player and has flare and a creative edge. Certainly one for the future should he continue to improve.

But, I'm not sure if he is for us? He reminds me of a less talented Nani. Targeted by opposition fans for going down too easily etc. Would he be someone you would like to see? I'm undecided on his attitude and all round game.

2. CorteseIsOurLeader

Top signings if true (not that I believe the Daily Mail!).

Clyne has represented England youth teams on numerous occassions and has always looked assured when I've seen him. Zaha is a more interesting one, when I've seen him he's been very hit and miss however, speaking to a Palace fan at work recently, he says firstly what a top bloke he is (does plenty of their charity events apparently) but also wat a huge huge talent he is. Rates him as their best player by far with a huge future.

If it was me, sign them both up, get Butland in and that gives us a month or so to find a centre back.

Incidentaly, just got my MLC tickets and guess who I saw popping out and into his fancy sports car... Nicola! Maybe off to meet with some players agents or what not!?.... OR more likely just out for lunch! Nice car and suit tho :D

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't like to see him, as I've stated in the transfer rumour thread. Beats players regularly in the Championship because he's quick, and that's about it. Remarkably poor goal/assist ratio, his final ball is appalling. Reminds me of a quicker Steve De Ridder. Investing now is far too early when he's 100% potential, 0% current ability. Leave it a year to see if he's actually showing signs of improvement, Clyne is similar, quite poor defensively but pretty good going forward. £8m for the two of them is extortionate. Money I'd rather see spent on someone like Butland who, though playing considerably less than the two of them, has shown considerably more.

4. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Wouldn't mind either but I would prefer a keeper and CB first. I'm sure the two N's have this in hand though!

5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Would rather have a winger that could cross the ball.

6. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

Zaha is SO overrated. As for Clyne, good player, but simple tactics against palace away showed how to take advantage of his height.

7. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

As we have said on other threads both are young and have lots of progression to come. You would be paying for potential. Nigel has to decide if they are better than our own youngsters. We just have to trust his judgement.

8. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Zaha has quick feet, but his football brain isn't up to much. Whether we go for a player with an inch-perfect cross or an attacking winger who runs at defenders, making decisions about when to pass, when to shoot, when to cross and when to keep running is a key skill. Theo Walcott gets a lot of stick for not being a great crosser, but that isn't his game. He maintains a good goals and assists record because he runs at defenders and gets into the box. Zaha does the same, but when he has to make a decision, he panics and snatches at the ball, hence his average goal/assist record.

Has Clyne signed a new contract at Palace? If we have to pay more than compensation, I'd walk away. Because of his high profile, his value will be inflated and we could probably get a better RB elsewhere for less. Decent player, but no more.

9. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Not worth those inflated prices. If we are to spend that amount I do hope its on priority positions in the squad.

10. Wisescummer

Wisescummer Active Member

Is Zaha a good fit? I don't know, lets find out. BRING ON THE WALL!!!

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

As long as the shape is one where you have to lie down to fit through we'll be fine. Just get a defender to stand within five feet of him.

12. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

If we believed all the rumours coming out of the papers, Saints would end up with 3 squads of 25 players, and all of them together costing much more than a decent top 6 side.

Where necessary, where the squad is thin, we need better than we already have, or back up to what we already have. I don't want to see a scatter gun approach, and neither do I expect, are Saints doing anything like it either.

By the way, as before; if Nicola and Nigel want a player, that's all right by me, whether I think they're any good or not, they are better qualified to judge.

13. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

I think these are two very quick players who don't seem to offer much else. I think Richardson is a better defender than Clyne, and I think we could do with a winger who can get stuck in a little more than Zaha. They probably have plenty of potential, but I'd rather we sign players who are good enough now.

14. MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

15. Wisescummer

Wisescummer Active Member

Lot of angry Palace fans there...

16. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

People on there comparing Zaha to Chamberlain. We got as much as we did because he was 17 not 19, had a final product to boast about and we didn't need the money. I'd baulk if we paid £15m for a carbon copy of Chamberlain from a league 1 side. If they want that sort of money, we'll tell them to get knotted and move onto the next name on our list.

17. RLSGM

RLSGM Member

the lot of them are dillusional! if a player like Zaha, a bright prospect, but in reality he is all pace, is worth 10m then surely AOC, quick and can play some ball, would be worth in excess of 20 - 25m? all joking aside that forum suggests palace are on the up ( a dormant everton or villa, someone says ) but not a top 4 club. I think any club with money troubles and promising youngsters like zaha should sell! 8m for him would buy a very very decent squad which could challenge the playoffs, i have no doubt! Much how i see what we did in the Champ, sold our brightest talent to get promoted, its all for the greater good.. no player is bigger than the club, especially if they are looking elsewhere..