1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by JAMJAR, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JAMJAR

JAMJAR Member

Just wondering who you guys think will make it for us? We are hearing a lot about various players on the books who are doing well, with some making a few 1st team appearences.

IMO it depends on who is in charge next season as to who'll make it from our current crop. I can see Jose (please let it be Jose) giving Lukaku a go due to his similarities to Drogba.

I've listed a few promising youngsters below. Who would you a) like to see in the first team in the next few years. b) think will be given the chance and c) will make it in top flight football somewhere else??

Saville
    T. Hazard
    Kalas
    DaVilla
    Loftus-Cheek
    Cuevas
    Ake
    Chalobah
    DeBruyne
    Feruz
    McEachran
    Courtois
    Wallace
    Lukaku

I'd like to think that the maority of these guys will be given a chance over the next few years. But unless things change I can't see it happening.

I think there is always room for 3 youngsters in the squad and given that Lukaku and, potentially, DeBruyne may be considered 'senior' players next year. I'd like to see Chalobah, Kalas and Ake making up the 25 next season.

Over to you...

2. BelugaWhale

BelugaWhale Member

These are the players that I believe have a very good chance of making and succeeding in the first team, either because the pathway is less blocked, and/or because they are an outstanding talent.

1 Lukaku
    2 Courtois
    3 Chalobah
    4 Ake

These are the players that are good, but face extremely tight competition and may have to leave Chelsea in the longer run:

5 Piazon
    6 De Bruyne
    7 McEachran

Too early to tell with the others, but unless the likes of Baker, Blackman, Loftus Cheek etc turn out to be world beaters, I can see them leaving as well. Our best prospect in the 3-5 year timespan is probably Boga. We are playing some very fluid and effective footie at that level though so maybe there is a case of bringing several of those players through at the same time to maintain and reinforce the telepathy, style and resilience they seem to be developing. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts and all that, y'know.

3. GazFormidable

GazFormidable Active Member

I don't think many will be with the first team next year. De Bruyne and Lukaku almost certainly will be IMO and possibly Nathan Ake. The only other one is Omeruo, although i think he's 23 now so probably not classed as a youngster anymore! The rest will go out on loan again i think.

I read somewhere earlier that Kalas says the gap between Vitesse and Chelsea is too big and he'll be looking for another loan next season to a big league. I've already seen WBA linked with him, it'd be good to get him and some others moves to the Prem as we've seen how well they can turn out, just look at Lukaku this seasoon. I guess that means the same thing for PVA and Kakuta (if we keep him). Van Aanholt has had an excellent season and there are strong rumours of a first team call up for Holland pretty soon.

Chalobah, Piazon and Ake are all good enough for Premiership teams IMO but just need some experience before they start playing for us. I think all three will play a big part in our future.

4. JAMJAR

JAMJAR Member

I like this philosophy! Could be the start of something beautiful!!
    It would be an interesting prospect (seeing a group come through together). Don't think it'll happen but you never know!

5. BelugaWhale

BelugaWhale Member

Happened at manu 20 yrs ago, and happened at wham 13 yrs ago except they didn't make the most of it. Let's hope it happens at Chels in a few years. Could be the start of something beoootiful

6. JCC87

JCC87 Member

Guys that are ready

Courtois, De Bruyne. Chalobah and Lukaku

Guys that need a Premier League Loan

Kalas, Piazon, Wallace, McEachran and Feruz

Guy that will be ready eventually

Loftus-Cheek, Boga, Cuevas

Guys that would make other premier league sides

Saville, Kane

7. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

None of them will be in our 1st team next year because we are too stupid. Lukaku can look forward to sitting on the bench IF he comes back, the rest will disappear without trace as they all do. And as proof, we are now looking to buy another right back youngster, and a young goalkeeper. The lunatics are running our asylum.
    As many have said, Chalobah,Lukaku, Ake and De Bruyne are ready. Piazon, Courtois almost ready.

8. Cb

Cb Active Member

I really liked Reuben loftus a lot as well as piazon. Thought lalkovic was great when he played us too. Tbh you guys have waaaayyyy to much talent in midfield. It's pretty plausible that a lot of talented potentially top four players will have to leave. Very impressed by your youth set up. I know your results apart from next gen are a bit poor but that's bcse you along with arsenal and man city have a policy to field very young players for u18s. Having said that you seem to lack good wingers.

9. BelugaWhale

BelugaWhale Member

Be that as it may, even the most lunatic amongst them will realise that there's no point in investing millions in the academy if the top kids are not given sufficient chance to grow into the first team. A bit like spending millions on a cake but not eating it. They might be mad, but not contradictory.

I'm fairly confident we'll see the likes of Lukaku, Chalobah, Courtois, Ake make the first team over the coming seasons, especially in light of FFP. The problem for Piazon, DeBruyne, McEachran is that as good as they are we have too many top midfielders. Competition for places will be fierce, and there will be losers - add Hazard, Oscar, Mata, Moses, Ramirez, plus all our kids who might be ready in a few years such as Baker, LoftusCheek etc into that competition for 3 max 4 midfield spots (excl. defensive mid)...small wonder Lampard's contract extension is stalled.

10. JCC87

JCC87 Member

The problem for McEachran is that he was ready to be slowly integrated two seasons ago but we held back

Now that he needs to be integrated it is much harder as there is a younger, in my opinion better prosepct ready for integration in Chalobah

11. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Truly hope you are right, but previous actions suggest it won't happen. We seem to be fixated on "brand" names and Marquee buys.

12. GazFormidable

If you were interested and don't have Chelsea TV then the nextgen game against Arsenal is on British Eurosport. I think we're the first game on (at 5pm), the next one follows straight after too. Should be a good watch.

13. BelugaWhale

BelugaWhale Member

This is going to become an increasingly important comp. Must make sure we stick our name on the trophy. Cmon boys!

14. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Agree. Now josh may never make it in the pRem now. is all about timing. Fergie gets it right and we get it wrong

15. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

There was an interesting article in the Times today on this very subject! Apparently Josh McEachran will be returning after a tremendous loan period and if we act sensibly in using him could well become known as one of the great holders of the ball a la Bobby Moore. Bertrand was another tipped for an outstanding career! We really should try to get these youngsters blooded whenever the opportunity arises!

16. GazFormidable

Eurosport 2 now the game is live.