1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surprising given the "high-profile" nature of those two in our academy. I thought Fonkeu was seen as quite a coup when we first signed him, and Abrahams was doing very well for Leyton Orient before we signed him.

Interesting how much injuries appear to have played a part in these decisions.

JM Fan likes this.
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I felt DH. Fonkeu has been around for 3 years now and hasn't really pushed on. I thought Abrahams was a good prospect as well, but the rise of Idah and Spyrou may have left the others behind.

zogean_king and JM Fan like this.
  3. RiverEndRick

Spyrou has just returned from loan at Wrexham. I wonder whether he could have a shot at the first team next season, given that he can play as a striker or as a wide player. The other possibility is Mason Bloomfield, a striker who's been on loan at Hamilton and then AFC Fylde since he signed for us last July. At 22, he's two years older than Spyrou and four years older than Idah, who is yet another possibility.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    JM Fan likes this.
  4. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Mason only started 1 game for AFC Fylde, with 5 sub appearances. Averaging 23mins per appearance. Not sure if this is because he was coming back from injury.

Just the 1 goal though

5. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Can't see either Spyrou or Bloomfield stepping up next season, it's a huge jump from non-league to Premier League, and neither were tearing it up at their previous clubs.

For the most part, our youngsters have impressed on loan before first team chances have arrived. Maddison, Cantwell, Godfrey and both Murphy's took that route. I think the only player who came close to that this season is Savvas Mourgos - 3 goals in 10 games for a poor Dortrecht side, where he immediately put himself in first team contention upon joining, until his cruciate ligament ended his season. If he gets a full pre-season with the first team, he might make it into the first team picture.

The other route we've seen to the first team is of course the Lewis/Aarons approach of academy to first team. I think the only player close to that approach is Idah. His performances this season suggest there would have been loan interest, so the only reason I can see for him remaining at Colney is to integrate him with the first team. (Does anyone know if he's definitely part of first team training?)

zogean_king and RiverEndRick like this.
  6. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Says a lot about this new Luton lad that they have put him up to talk with Idah. Who you could say was our closest next youth to breaking through.

I think Akin looks and talks the part. Comes across very well.

9. RiverEndRick

10. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I don't see how playing in the National League is better than playing in the U23's for Ciaren.? By all accounts he did well last season. The U23's is a Development League, but I would think the competition level is higher.

11. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I guess the physicality and competitive nature of the players? It's a cliché, but a 30 year old bricklayer is going to pose rather a different challenge to a mollycoddled teenage PL prospect. The games at that level matter dearly to people, and he's going to have to be ready for a scrap.

For sure it's not going to be the best for developing him as a ball-playing CB, but presumably the club don't feel that area of his game is the most pressing issue.

Canary Spring likes this.
  12. Canary Spring

Yeah, real competition vs individual development. Thanks, DH, very good answer.

13. RiverEndRick

Adam Idah, Norwich City's 18-year-old striker, scored a brace for the Irish U21s, leading them to a 4-1 win against China U21s with goals in the 56th and 82nd minute, before being substituted.

Canaries team-mate Simon Power also won his first U21 cap, coming on in the 77th minute, as Ireland made a winning start their Group C campaign at the prestigious Toulon tournament in France.

Idah was involved in the build-up to the opening goal, disrupting the Chinese defenders and stepping over a cross from the left from Zak Elbouzedi to allow Aaron Connolly to fire home. Idah has been prolific at youth level for his country and has now racked up four goals in his first two appearances at under-21 level.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/brace-for-city-striker-as-ireland-u21s-win-in-toulon-1-6086128

Both Idah's goals were from penalties and the video in the article shows that he knows how to take those!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Canary Spring and ncgandy like this.
  14. Canary Spring

Here is one of Idah's goal's. I don't mean to step on your toes, Rick, I just had to look around to find a video that was "available" in my location.

His other one was in the same spot, the keeper guessed right but couldn't get to it.

This was a great play to score their first:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. RiverEndRick

Well done CS. I tried to copy the videos but couldn't get them to work.

Canary Spring likes this.
  16. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Simon Power's apparently doesn't need sprint training this summer:

<yikes>

17. RiverEndRick

Nice one DH. We should get a glimpse of that in pre-season, along with Idah and others.

JM Fan likes this.
  18. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Josh Coley joins Dunfermline on a season-long loan, another youngster out the door early.

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

There's something a bit fishy about that name!

<sorry>

20. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whenever there's a gap in the Dunfermaline squad, sit back and watch Coley fill it.

JM Fan likes this.