1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

More praise for Godfrey and also Morris from the Shropshire Star’s equivalent of MB and PD - https://www.shropshirestar.com/spor...shrewsbury-towns-canaries-doing-the-business/
    I seem to remember when AN bought Godfrey from York (?), he was a midfielder, but I remember him being primarily playing as a CB for the under 23s last season and he really seems to have blossomed during his time at Shrewsbury (despite mine and others howls of disgust when we learned that he was going back there in January!!). Seems as though Godfrey may no longer be a DM, so he could certainly cover that position in the event of injury suspensions
    Interesting that they are praising Morris, as I know he wasn't always in the team in the early part of the season, so he has obviously buckled down and upped his game to be a regular starter. I really liked him in the under 23s last season and it would be great if he could bolster our striker options next season.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

So the youth got done 3-0 by Fulham tonight. It seems they have a hoodoo over us at multiple levels!

And this isn' even news just inevitable, Jarvis limped off after 18 minutes, sounds like further ankle problems. Well done, Neil, Delia, Stone and anyone else involved in his permanent signing!

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  4. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

EDP really didn't sugar-coat it either...

"The half was overshadowed by Jarvis going down in the 18th minute holding his ankles, having seen a few crosses blocked and a couple of runs down the left wing come to an end due to his rusty touch."

In case anyone has forgotten what Jarvis looks like...

please log in to view this image

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cantwell was among the scorers as Fortuna Sittard best Einhoven 1 - 3 away <ok>

General Melchett likes this.
  6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

mike555 likes this.
  7. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I saw a report that stated that he was the MVP of the whole league in this last round of matches. This loan is doing wonders for his development, unlike Edwards with us.

JM Fan likes this.
  8. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Did he join them because he liked their colours? Easier to adapt?

9. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    zogean_king likes this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I believe he's scored a hat trick earlier in the season as well and as you say, he'll probably do the same as Middleton if he isn't progressing through the squads.
    Edit - Just found this article - https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/december/adam-idah-barnsley/

11. Canary Spring

I thought I remembered an earlier hat trick. Thanks for the link. Idah has been getting some good press the last few months.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like you keep an eye on all of your loanees but just in case you missed this one........Remi Matthews played a blinder on Saturday. Made one worldie one on one save and kept us in the hunt for a play off place against all the odds. He has had a terrific season with us and is one to watch in my opinion for the future. We have had horrendous injuries throughout this season not least in the keeper department but throughout the side. Remi has adopted the never say die attitude of the whole squad and they just don't know when to stay down for the count. Think we have been as good for him as he has been for us so thanks to club and player for the loan.

p.s. can we keep him please.

13. Canary Spring

Thanks for that, sg. It's good to get such an excellent report about one of our loaned out players. In all likelihood we will lose Angus Gunn after this season, so I'm afraid we will be needing Remi back at Carrow Road for next season.

All the best to you guys at Scunthorpe tomorrow.

zogean_king likes this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'd have NO issues with him being handed the No 1 shirt if DF feels he deserves it.

Edit - I'm HOPING that DF sees fit to bring back TC, Godfrey and possibly Morris; so that losing JM won't be too much of a wrench.

15. Canary Spring

I didn't mean I'm afraid Remi will have to play for NCFC. I was saying to sensiblegreeny I'm afraid they can't have him if we don't hang on to Angus. :biggrin:

zogean_king, DHCanary and JM Fan like this.
  16. General Melchett

I'm optimistic that Remi can make the step up and be our number one next season. It's great to hear he has had a good season. Much as Gunn has been excellent, using Remi, frees up a loan space and money for another loanee in a position we perhaps need more desperately. There must be another Tammy Abraham in someones development squad waiting for a chance at championship level. Though in a way that will be pretty damning for; Morris, Tristan Abraham and Fonkeu to be passed over for someone elses youth.

Bah!

zogean_king and JM Fan like this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that one or two of those could make the squad.

18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morris perhaps, given he's at least played league football this season. Fonkeu and Abrahams surely won't jump from U23s to first team without a loan in League 1/2. Our striker issues this season are well documented, and I think at least Fonkeu fits the mould of the type of striker Farke wants. If he hasn't been considered good enough this season, I can't see him being in the first team next year.

I think we'll have a new first choice striker, Srbeny second and maybe Morris third, or perhaps a real punt of a signing.

JM Fan likes this.
  19. General Melchett

I basically agree, Morris I simply don't see as good enough, but it is a question of how his or any other strikers style will facilitate oportunities for those around them as well as their own goal output. It would appear that our chosen path is to only have 2 frontline strikers, to that end I can't see any of those mentioned being one of the two, so they will be better served by loan moves. At least one needs to be retained for u23's and for emergency cover, unless another utility forward like Watkins comes in as 3rd cover. I think we will have a new main striker, bought from Germany for £4m, Srbeny and a new attacking wide/utility forward, like Watkins, but better (Please sky pixie, let him be better) or if we are feeling particularly cheap, rely on Hernandez or Murphy as 3rd choice striker. I doubt that though, bodies in will not be our problem, it will be the: quality, experience and adjustment period for those bodies that worries me.

Bah!

20. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morris as 3rd choice was essentially based off him being considerably cheaper than Watkins, I agree (based on stats alone) he's not looking good enough. Shrewsbury seem to like him though?

zogean_king and JM Fan like this.