1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

You're not singing anymore

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by It's Only A Game, May 9, 2022.

1. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

What do you make of this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61376475

Should football become sanitised to the point of respecting the other team's feelings and only sing about and support your own team, or take every opportunity to abuse the opposition?
    Obviously, there are limits and the law does cater for that but should you stop the abuse because some oppo's fans get offended?
    This has been going on for as long as I can remember (which these days is about 1/2 hour) but is this the time to be better mannered and respect your opposition, even when we play Pompey?

"When I was just a little boy, I asked my mother what should I be?
    Should I be Pompey, should I be Saints?
    Here's what she said to me
    "Well, Saints are undoubtedly a better choice being in the PL and have a nice stadium,
    But on the other hand
    Pompey fans shout a lot more and punch horses to provide some after match entertainment.
    But really the choice is yours."

Good luck to the Spurs fans making up a song for this;
    ":emoticon-0159-musicSpurs fans have provided financial backing to Marine FC on Merseyside, and regularly contribute to foodbanks and community initiatives in London. This is what we are about.:emoticon-0159-music" La La La La.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

A football terrace is no place for good manners and mutual respect. Bollocks to that imo.

Spurs fans still chanted 'Yids!' quite loudly last time I was at WHL. Good for them imo (I'm not Jewish though. And of course it's their own supporters doing it).

3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

It’s 2022 so all peoples feelings should be respected and nobody is allowed to be offended ever.

We need some friendlier songs about how nice the other teams kit looks

4. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I quite like your irónic comment and Kits!

5. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

But if you say something and someone is offended they might get leprosy (paraphrased from a comedian who saw this coming about 10 years ago)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pathetic. There are a handful of cringe songs, particularly “(insert name) is a f*cking pedophile”, but if the song is witty and original, it adds to the experience. Without the bantz you’re just gonna get a load of generic European crap-chants; “oh-we-oh-we-oh-we-oh” or something.

Ian Thumwood and LincolnSaint like this.
  7. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Or worse - American ones

“I believe that we will win” and “De-fence. De-fence”

They are utterly baffled by witty songs. Apparently back when Hatton and Mayweather fought there were brits in vegas chanting things like “we get 2 dollars to the pound, to the pound, 2 dollars to the pound” (those were the days). And the Americans didn’t know what to make of it

And I’m pretty sure back when I followed it the WWE wrestlers used to marvel and the ingenuity of U.K. crowds when the visited

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

“One happy family
    We’re all just one happy family
    One happy faaaaamily…”

Etc, etc.

What utter bollocks.

9. It's Only A Game

I'll see if I can get that one started at the Liverpool game.

10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

The really stupid thing about all this is that I highly doubt any one actually in poverty or struggling would get offended by that. Believe it or not they probably have other concerns!

Also worth remembering that more often than not nobody is actually offended. The media create fake outrage by claiming "people" are offended when no one actually is, just to sell papers. A good recent example is the claim by The Sun that the FA were planning on "cancelling" 3 lions because people thought it was offensive. That was made up by the rag that is the sun to get people moaning about everyone being offended and too woke.

garysfc likes this.

11. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Saw this earlier. Ridiculous

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

The fact that the beeb have linked it to recent Hillsborough chants as if it's in any way comparable is beyond ridiculous.

Embarrassingly tragic article.

13. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Quite simply they can all **** off. Scousers moaning again, who'd have thought it?

Clive Davis and Ian Thumwood like this.
  14. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Would it be OK, if it was true? (eg, Heyyy, Lovren, I wanna know-oh-oh, why you're such a cnut)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Yup. Getting offended on other peoples behalf’s.

16. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I have never got the "Love in" about Liverpool fans and my own experiences of them have generally been really negative. Whilst I think there are few pleasures in football as much fun as upsetting entitled Arsenal fans, there was a time in the 1980s when the chants at the expense of the Liverpool fans were probably the most creative. I always loved the song about the "Liverpool slums" but "Sign on" does run it a close second. The cry of "Calm down" will probably perplex a number of younger Saints fans. I think most Liverpool fans are thick-skinned enough to endure the abuse they get but there are loads of cases of other clubs getting ridiculed by opposing fans due to perceived slights. Another favourite is the Middlesoborough "Smog monster" label. I do not condone personal abuse at football matches other than John Westwood for whom I would always be willing to make an exception.

I am never ceased to be amazed at the speed with which crowds can come up with an amusing chant. For me, it is part of football. I don't agree with racist abuse but handing out cutting remarks to opposition players who have made the headlines over the previous week is one of the joys of football. However, I suppose there are instances where players like Luke Chadwoick and Jason Lee suffered too much abuse.

milton archer likes this.
  17. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Probably not acceptable now but loved banner "Atkinson's tart is a whore" from the seventies.

PS why do I read this thread title as "you're not signing any more"?

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  18. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

****e story from bbc & just pathetic. No one on the terraces (sorry seats) gives a dam. It’s just wumming; can be absolutely hilarious sometimes & cringeworthy others.

19. It's Only A Game

Anything that involves Liverpool and the BBC are on it but knowing what the scousers are like, they probably did complain about the song.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  20. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was intrigued by the news that Liverpool fans had booed the national anthem dueing Saturday's FA cup final and had also directed obscene jestures towards Prince William. There was also the suggestion that they had chanted during the singing of Abide With Me. I missed the fist twenty minutes so did not witness this on the BBC coverage. I have found the response to this fascinating. There seems to be an amount of indignation that the Liverpool fans have behaved in this manner amonsgst the mainsteam media whereas I believe that this has actually been a regular feature in recent years when Liverpool have played at Wembley. I quite like the fact that there is an anti-establishment element within the support for a game which has recently been taken increasingly away from the ordinary, working class supporters. I am pretty sure that the demographic difference between those supporters from Liverpool and those from London on Saturday woiuld have been immense. In a way, I can sympathise with their sentiments but it does grate when you consder the previous complaint regarding the song sung by Spurs fans at Anfield.

I do think that there is an element of "entitlement" with Liverpool fans who seem themselves as being victimised and that the support for their club should rightly be considered as unique and worthy of the respect of other fans no matter how unsavory. This seemed to be underlined by the comment from a representative of a group representing Liverpool supporters who suggested that this was a totally natural and not unreasonable response to reflect the lack of investment and general levels of poverty in their city. It was seen as cheekily giving the royalty the bird whilst at the same time suggesting that Liverpool had some kind of unique status which justified this behaviour as if no other city in the UK had similar problems. The abindance of food banks was seem as a reason to boo the national anthem. Once again, you get the same old impression of Liverpool being "the city of self pity" which gives their supporters justification for this behaviour. Even Klopp acknowledged that it was , perhaps, something that he did not fully understand and was therefore reluctant to condemn it out of hand.

There are certain clubs who I feel the media sometimes deems it necessary to overlook the behaviour of the fans or at least find some excuse to justify this. I would suggest that Liverpool are probably the prime example in this case. I have found the media coverage of this quite interesting with the BBC initially being critical but subsequently finding justification for this behaviour for social reasons. In comparison, the chants of "Sign on, Sign on" by the Spurs fans seems mild in comparison (amd also more amusing) but I wonder if the BBC would have been quite so generous if the booing at Wembley had been by fans of a club such as Millwall? Personally, I just feel there is nothing remotely classy about Liverpool fans and you wonder just how many of the fans who came down from Merseyside to watch the final and would have spent in excess of £200 to do so were really "salt of the earth." If Liverpool fans want respect , I think it is a two-way street and they need to show a degree of levity when abuse is heeped upon them by fans of the opposition.