1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic your x marked the start ..now . beyond 100days what for the next 100 ... 7th July

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not an OAP yet JGF2, so no state pension for at least 5 years for me, but don't work anymore and haven't for about 8 years now. Derive my income and hence my living from investments made during my working life - hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was planned - honest!

A mixture of both growth and dividend funds can smooth the choppy waters when economic factors are the only forces in play, but this virus problem is a different animal all together.

You would expect growth based funds to be taking a hammering recently, but the suspension (delaying) of dividends will hit hardest those that expect historical dividend returns to be in some way "protected" being the more conservative (safe?) route. Personally, mine are all growth based.

Nothing is going to escape this epidemic for a long time yet. Only those who took the guaranteed annuity route have cause to feel finacially disengaged from the problem, but then you've lost control of your hard earned pension pots.

Drawing the same income from SIPP's and investment ISA's as though nothing has changed will obviously lead to an erosion of fund values. Whether growth or dividend based, the dreaded "sustainability" factor then creeps in.

Having said that, if and when this turns around (and it will), the more adventurous will see a massive opportunity in growth funds - that's if you get the timing right and have the balls to do it. Just hang on in there and keep safe until then..........<ok>