1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Window so far

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by City1904, Aug 24, 2011.

1. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

After reading THIS, article i just wondered what Stoke fans thought of their window so far? I agree with most of the article apart from the bit about Hull(the reason i was reading it in the first place), but i like the fact that you won't pay the inflated prices, i have criticized you before for splashing cash on players you don't need but i think Pulis has learnt his lesson. For me you are nowhere near the relagation battle which shows what a great job you have done since going up. But why would Spurs let Crouch go? I have always wondered that.

Sorry for rambling, just a neutrals view there. Good luck for the season :)

2. Waddos_legends

Waddos_legends Active Member

Good article City1904, but unless we bring in some new faces I fear we will be hovering around the drop zone come the end of the season as we have no reserve strikers at the moment!

3. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence re you think we won't be relegated erm..
    I'm not so sure to be blunt. We don't have anywhere near enough quality player's at the club. I'm livid at the minute becasue.
    Even Tony Pulis publically said end of last season. "We need to strenghen for next season" TWO centre halfs for basically no fee is fine.
    But, our midfield must be by far and away the worst in the Premier League. Agree about over inflated wages etc but..
    WHY Tony doesn't LOOK at the lower leagues is puzzling me. Crouch, I don't want but he keeps talking about this/that player and the more
    he goes on about it, the less confident I am of actually signing anyone. There ARE very good player's down there... Jon Walters just one who proved he can make the step up.

Othere we could have tried for.. Kevin Philips, Barton, D J Campbell etc.. I'm ready to just say leave it and go with what we have. Which I honestly think isn't good enough. We shall see what happens the next few days IF we do bring anyone in. I sincerely hope so for our clubs sake. Otherwise I see a long hard season ahead.

Good luck to (Hull City) for the season <ok>

4. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

We do need players in and fast!! I understand Pulis' objections to paying over the odds for certain players, like we did when we panic bought the likes of Davies and Sonko and put them on £20k-£25k a week but surely we can reach a compromise with these players? Or am I being naive?

5. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

I have said in previous posts that I would worry if Stoke paid over the odds in transfer fees or wages which could undermine the stability of the club. However to progress as a club we may have to raise the ceiling a little. Problem is high profile players, and those who think they are, expect high salaries. There is no doubt, however, that new faces are required or else we WILL struggle.

Our window so far ............... misted up!

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wages is the nature of the beast - FACT! If we want to be in the Prem and have a better quality of player we have to pay for it - SIMPLES!!!!!!!! I'm not saying its right, its just the way it is, plain and simple! TP's stubborn stance and gambling means we get left with what other clubs generally dont want!

7. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

****E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless off Woody & Upson, we didnt need two CB's we needed 2 x FB's, 2 x Attacking CM's, 1 x Holding Midfielder, 1 x Wing Cover & 1 x CF!

8. steve_scfc

steve_scfc Member

I completely agree - to get the quality of players we'd like we need to blow our wage structure apaprt....

Somehow though these wages would have to be paid for and I for one would not be happy in increased ticket/shirt prices. Short of asking PC to throw away a bucket load of cash every year, which won't even be legal in footballing terms soon, how would we stay profitable?

9. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what to think re after hearing T.Ps interview yesterday..
    surly, we can afford to up the wages ceiling a little bit? We HAVE to otherwise we struggle, could go down, would find it hard to return.. then what?

I HOPE we can just survive because that is what we are doing. I know mid table looks comfy enough but one or two results the wrong way and we could be shafted.

Hence, that is why I'm worried right now. T.P. say's we won't etc then he say's we all know we need new player's. <doh>

10. THe Mighty Huth Rocks

My windows are fine thanks, that is my job, but thanks for the concern <ok>

11. neo_dave

neo_dave Member

I am also concerned - but it is the same every transfer window and we are used to it. When we were first promoted we signed some players who we didn't need (although after the goal I just watched Soares set-up he definitely no longer falls into that category, even if it was against Thun) and these players have either been sold, loaned or just not played.

I am still confident Pulis will bring in the players we need and we will probably be surprised at who they are.

I shall KTF 'til the end of the month but after that I shall not be happy if no-one has been brought in, we may not be relegated but it'll certainly be squeaky bum time!!!!!