1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Verdict- Forwards or Backwards?.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 10, 2018.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Disappointed of course

But....

The ‘haters’ (on OTIB in particular) are dismissing our high profile performances from last season as ‘just the cup’ and choose to focus on our drop in league form from January.

Can’t have it both ways.

Supcon72 likes this.
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Last year after beating Plymouth 5 -0 we progressed to the Semi-Finals, this year bounced out by Plymouth at our first attempt, I'm think it's a bit of a blow and I hope not a sign of things to come, it makes me shudder to think of it, what will be said if we lose on Saturday?

Redprintt likes this.
  3. ClevedonRobin

ClevedonRobin Member

Great point Wizered, but we all know that in reality we will likely lose against Boro. The first 4 games will not define our season but in response to the question of the thread, I am interested in the opinion of others as to whether we've progressed?

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Mate I just tried to give an honest response to you, we had a brilliant result and run in the contest last season and we have, as I said been bounced out by a 3rd tier side at our first attempt with some of our new players this season. I don't call that progress.

5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I’m not really interested in the cup Wiz , wasn’t last season either , in fact last season it got better n the way imo, still think without it we’d have been in the playoffs , at the least, besides the only way we could have progressed in the cup season was to get to the final, which was never going to happen.
    Still to early to judge whether we’ve improved this season , my guess is we won’t , but we’ll Just have to wait and see.

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Clearly we have gone backwards,our best performing players left for pastures new,we have dabbled with players but none are a sign of intent.Saturday result will be a good guide,for the record I think we will lose.
    I’m on the fence for now but I do have my concerns regards this squad.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

But Plymouth were also a different team then - getting d1ck3d by everyone and looking like going straight back down to L2.
    Fair play to them turning it around - and for beating us tonight.
    Disappointing (as always when we lose) but not devastated

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

How well did your matey Taylor do tonight.?....thought he would have been banging them in for fun against a lesser opposition!!

RedorDead likes this.
  9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Lack of goals could be a season long nightmare and I don't honestly believe that Diedhou will fill the bag when he returns from his stupid suspension. I know the statistics can lie but they are probably nearer to the truth than we care to realise because when you look at the percentage of the play combined with most of the other stats it should tell us we won. The only true statistic we want is how many more goals did we score against the opposition than they did? All the positives will rarely, if ever, outshine the negatives when you can't stick the ball in the net. Close but no cigar.

10. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Taylor's up to it but I don't think you'll ever see the best of Matty Taylor until he has a run in the team playing off a big man.

Unwise to judge on last nights game but your comment is looking debatable.

And now we're looking for another loan CH, just how many crocks do we employ ?

11. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'm always disappointed when we lose, but I'm happy with the approach taken for the League Cup, which is start off by playing your 2nd string/kids and take it more seriously if you make it through to the later stages.

It's one of those games where in a lot of aspects you say it's technically sound, good control of the game etc, yet once again we've been hit by a sucker punch and have been unable to find a way through ourselves. Only a certain amount of that can be chalked up to bad luck - I'd rather we had less of the ball and created fewer chances if they were more clear-cut ones that were actually taken. On that front, Matty Taylor didn't take this opportunity to impress, and he doesn't have the same allowances Eisa does due to his age. Frankly, sometimes I think the whole team needs to be a little bit more aggressive, nasty and just more unpleasant to play against.

Not cause for panic stations yet - as I've said elsewhere, a win against Boro would make it a decent start to the league, though conversely a (likely) defeat would make it poor. Unfortunately the departures probably makes this another season of transition, which is a bit disappointing after a season like last where for so long it looked like we might actually have a chance at reaching the playoffs. Some incoming business has been decent, but we are relying on certain things to avoid it being insufficient, namely Maenpaa needing to be excellent and Diedhiou returning and staying fit, in-form and injury free.

AshtonRed likes this.
  12. Red Robin

Apparently shocking,when given a chance you have to take it clearly he did not.

13. Red Robin

How well did your matey Taylor do tonight.?.
    I'm not sure Taylor's up to it but I don't think you'll ever see the best of Matty Taylor until he has a run in the team playing off a big man.

LJ is not playing him to his strengths.

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It's early in the season and I think a lot more players, including Matty, need to up their games and for once I can't see that being the fault of LJ. By selling the players we did, which was almost certainly inevitable, we have changed the dynamics of a squad that needed to be built on and not broken apart. This is a part of City's DNA and until we make ourselves a football club where players want to come I think we will continue to sell our best assets and replace them with lesser souls that will struggle to adapt. That to me is not a recipe for promotion to the Premier League but rather a yo-yo team that flounder around pretending to be what they are not, and eventually miss the boat heading for higher ground and might end up on the other side heading downward and nowhere. My gut tells me we need to be aware of our condition well in advance of January, unlike last year where we sat around making commitment statements whilst picking our nose, and if the top brass are as heady as we are about Premiership football then for goodness sake then back your statements with the right actions - whatever that requires.

15. AshtonRed

Didn’t see the game , but seems the general consensus, I did think now his injuries are hopefully behind him he’d step up, he has to take these opportunities with fam out of contention to make his claim , if he doesn’t he won’t be here much longer , either Jan or latest next summer he’ll be gone.

16. Red Robin

Did not go Tuesday,apparently he was shocking.Keep that up and he will be gone with no future at BCFC.

17. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Blimey RR, all those times you promised he would come good and after one bad game he's on his last chance.......you are so fickle it's worrying! :emoticon-0127-lipss

18. AshtonRed

I understand where RR is coming from , I thought he’d make it given a chance too , but he has to take his chance when it presents itself , now is his opportunity to shine , if he doesn’t take it he’ll be lucky to get another .

19. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

Taylor simply doesn't have the quality to make it at this level. Given him plenty of chances already. We should've moved him on over the summer.

We've got a number of similar style players that can do a better job than him. We need a replacement for the Djuric option and I wish we'd sold Taylor and brought in someone of that type to replace him.

20. Red Robin

Matty Taylor is not being used properly,he needs to play alongside a big man,A Rovers fan who I respect his views says his best position is in a hole behind the front pair.
    LJ has to play him to his strengths if not best let him go elsewhere where he can be used correctly.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018