1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Greatest and Worst Moment Behind the Wheel

Discussion in 'F1 Off Topic' started by TheJudeanPeoplesFront, Jul 4, 2013.

1. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

We've all had moments driving a normal car where we've considered ourselves Schumacher, and moments where we've probably been compared to Massa by someone else <wah>, so share away...

For me, driving a Toyota Yaris 1.3, I certainly can't smoke anybody except in the infirm and elderly... Thankfully, they tend to drive Ferrari's and supercharged Jags, and everytime I pull away from one on a country road after they've been up my arse through a 30mph area with a school, because I had the temerity to go the speed limit (inconsiderate arsehole that I am), I feel like an F1 king... My greatest moment was thus pulling away from one such chap in a new Mercedes supercar, who refused to go more than 50 on a single carriageway in case one of the trees decided to walk across the road.

My worst moment... I haven't been driving long. So my worst moment was only taking 25 minutes to parallel park in my own drive area... dammit.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think what my greatest moment was... There's been so many :p, but I do know my worst.

I started my old 850 T5 in the driveway and heard a belt making some noise, so I jumped out, popped the hood to take a look... at which point the noise stopped, so I decided to jump back in, give it a squirt of gas to see if it came back... It just so happened the car was still in reverse, so when i punched it, the car jumped backwards and I about ripped off the open driver side door on a pole in the carport. Cost about 2.5k to fix. :p

3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I used to have an old 1.4 Renault Clio mk1.
    please log in to view this image

It used to shudder a lot and overheat when I got up to 88 miles per hour :)emoticon-0103-cool:)
    I had a look under the bonnet and found that 3/4 of the spark plugs had popped out?!? (and kept popping out) so was a mystery the car lasted just running on 1 and at that speed!

4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think my best and worst moments are within the same 10s <whistle>

worst moment was braking into a corner to late so that the back end decided to try and overtake the front end, the best moment was that I was able to hold it and make it look smooth <laugh>
    It was in my chav-mobile of a Focus ST170, but fortunately it didn't result in a typical chav situation of in a hedge. Not really had any bad cars in my time so far which I'm pretty pleased about (touch wood), and I've yet to hit anything which is also good (double touch wood!)

5. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

Similar story. Was on a twisty country B road in Antrim Glens, was driving under trees and it had been raining day before. When into a severe decreasing radius corner way too hot, combined with the moist pine needles, soon found my rear end pulling me toward the ditch with frightening inevitability (worst moment). Then instincts I didn't know I had kicked in, I actually think it was developed from too much time on sim racing games. Jerked the car out of its slide into a spin, held the spin with opposite then flipped the steering into the spin and in a flash I was facing the way I had originally intended after a full 360 and was on my merry way :D (best moment)