1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your favourite ex Manager

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Flittonhorn, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Whilst working through Friday night, the sports reports were full of Harry Rednaps iminent appointment at QPR. An interesting piece of trivia was mentioned at the end of one in which it was stated that during Sir Alex Fergies 26 years at Old Trafford Harry would be QPR's 26th manager in the same period which seemed pretty amazing ( if not ridiculous ). This got me to thinking that after Graham Taylors first stint and again after his second stint in charge we have had our share of managers, not in QPR's numbers of course but a few any how.Now obviously Graham Taylor would always win any vote on our favourite/best manager so taking him out of the picture who in the period i have mentioned would you put as top of your list of ex managers and who if any would you welcome back to the Vic and why?. Something to get the mind working on :emoticon-0138-think

2. oldnickhornet

oldnickhornet Active Member

Always good when someone poses a question then tells us the answer ! This is headed 'favourite' then you add 'best' further on ....would not necessarily get the same answer.Mr Taylor wouldnt be my favourite as a personality ,as we can answer for others, judging by the comments we get on here its hands down Malky M would win followed by A Boothroyd (!!).
    On a serious note this type of survey doesnt work as it depends which eras you know e.g I could name managers some of you would probably never have heard of.

On a (slightly) less serious note, how about a nomination for an Ex for G Zola...from Monday.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not too difficult for me, Ken Furphy although he now is in a care home suffering from dementia so cannot return. He lead us into the old 2nd division in 1969 and we reached the FA Cup semi-final with him in charge a year later. With players like Endean and Scullion the team were exciting to watch and it was a shame when Ken left due to financial restrictions. Sounds familiar, but then it is Watford.

4. oldnickhornet

Twins OFH !!

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's a surprise Nick!!!

6. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

Yep, Furphy. And I always liked Ray Lewington. Glad to see him with the England setup now.

7. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Sean Dyche - because I wanted to see just how far he could improve and move us forward. Very much unfinished business for me.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Furphy here too - first manager ever to lift us to the second tier

9. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Dear old Nick, the title said it all lol, the mention of best was a referal to Graham Taylor only, glad to see it made you think as that was the intention and of course people can only reflect on their knowledge and experience. I was also lucky in that my first experiences of watching Watford with Scullion still playing for us left a lasting impression and Ken being my first manager will always stay close, i wish him all the best.

10. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Putting to one side their departures the last four managers have been good in their own style.

Sean Dyche
    Malkey Mackay
    Brendon Rodgers
    Aidy Boothroyd

I would chose Aidy.

11. oldnickhornet

NOTHING makes me think Flit.Reluctant to say anything about KF in view if his present plight...but no wasnt a fan.
    WAS a fan of Stewart The Mad Winger tho.'Nicest' manager has to be Ray Lewington and projected a good image of the club...but 'nice' doesnt usually suit football.

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Hard to choose really - I was a 'Furphy Fan' back in the day, but doubt he would cut the mustard in a higher league - regardless of his achievement at Sheff Utd. Like w-y, I'd like to see Sean Dyche again - unfinished business and all that. But I'll plump for the quiet achiever, as both manager and player, Kenny Jackett.

13. Lloydinio

Lloydinio Well-Known Member

Sean Dyche and Brendan Rogers, (Doesn't matter how he left us) oh and Aidy Boothroyd

14. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd have to go for Ray Lewington

15. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Well if I can't have Graham Taylor - who would be the choice of most Watford fans I suspect - I too think Ken Furphy - but I'd give a mention to Mike Keen, Aidy Boothroyd, Steve Harrison, Kenny Jackett, Glen Rhoder and Ray Lewington. I definitely wouldn't want Manky and Judas back though.

16. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

Yes, I too would give a mention to:

Mike Keen - who took us back to the old 4th Division and couldn't get us back up to the 3rd in 2 seasons
    Glen Roeder - who guided us to 7th in his first full season, then left us plumb bottom and certainties for relegation the next
    Ken Jackett - who managed to take us to mid table obscurity in his only season as manager after a record number of numbing draws (at long last however he seems to have grown into the manager's job)
    Aidy Boothroyd - who, after falling on his feet with the development of Ashley Young and the huge and successful gamble on Marlon King, ultimately gave us probably the most stultifying style of football seen in over 60 years at Vicarage Road and now is impressing the locals at Sixfields with slick stylish football crowned by the Messi-like skills of Akinfenwa
    Steve Harrison - who took us from the bottom of the old Div. 1 to mid-table obscurity in the old Div. 2 after a brief flirtation with the Play-offs

Talking of anonymous managers, how about Steve Perryman and Vialli?

I liked Ray Lewington though and have a lot of sympathy over his sacking

17. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Nice one vic..<laugh><ok>

18. emiatss

emiatss Member

Would have to plump for Lewington, don't know how he kept the club in the second tier of England football despite the financial meltdown off the field and the limited talent on the field (Jamie Hand and Scott Fitzgerald anyone??? One is currently at Hayes and Yeading, the other at Wealdstone) Unlucky to be sacked, good to see him having a good career after leaving the Vic.

19. Irohas Bunyon

Irohas Bunyon Member

Jacket would be my pick, like you say he didn't pull up any trees in he first season as a manager and the great man himself took the reins the following season having finished 13th. But he was a fantastic servant to the club and even though his playing career ended before i started going to games, i have great respect for him. I think he did a great job at Swansea for the most part and is doing a brilliant job at Millwall with a club which has limited resourses. Now he has some experience under his belt, i would welcome him back with open arms as would a great many Watford supporters.

20. HampshireHornet

Harry Bassett for me, I just loved his one dimensional hoofing approach
    :bandit: