1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycling' started by The Secret Ingredient, Aug 16, 2011.

1. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

what bikes do you ride and how long have you been riding
    i got into bikes very young as my father was a marshal at scramble meets (now called moto x) and ever since the first time i went the mud,noise,smell of the 2 strokes and the sheer excitement of it all i've been in love
    i started riding bikes where the metrocentre now stands at the age of 11 on a knackered monkey bike
    first road bike was the now iconic fizzy
    dream bike as a kid was the Yamaha RD350LC (never got to own one)
    currently i own 2

Honda CBR 900 RR Fireblade (bought for a streetfighter project)
    Suzuki 750 intruder

anyway after owning many different types of bikes and dabbling in all sorts of bike related stuff i'd just like to know what bike you own what got you into bikes and general bike stories

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Very quiet on this forum, TSIUFMP. I'll try to make it a tad noisier, by being here.

Been into bikes, on/off since about 1976. First one was a Lambretta GP125DL scooter in turquoise blue. Absolutely gorgeous condition, and a brilliant little machine. Wish I'd kept it, seriously.
    Then I started my first and last project. A box of Triumph Tiger Cub bits. The big end had gone [no surprise], but the rest of it was pretty good. Gradually I built it up into a trail bike trim, ideal for the Cub engine. That was the surprise though. It was a Sports Cub, with a huge Amal GP carb attached. I had a racing big end put on by Alpha Bearings [who are still around] Ltd, and finished the project. The way it was geared it was good for way over 80mph [the speedo stopped there], probably 85-90mph, and could climb up 1:1 slopes with just a twist of throttle. Another one which should have been a keeper.
    Then there was my terrible Honda CB250K3. It had low mileage because I never wanted to ride it..! I only parted with it last year for lots of money because it was old. But it was a horrible, evil handling bike, which I stored for years.
    Then the Suzuki GSX550ES, which was awful. Less said about that, the better. I seriously went off bikes after that. Then, just a few years ago, I was persuaded to buy an old Honda CX500B, with a tiny 30,000 miles, run. What a lovely old machine. Ultra reliable, and a little turn of speed. It got me back into bikes.
    So I now have a red Honda VFR800FiY from 2000. Utterly, utterly brilliant bike. I'm keeping this one.

3. The Secret Ingredient

as bad as some of the old Hondas are compared to the likes of the yammys/suzukis etc i have owned their engines have always been bulletproof in comparison

4. GhostOfNinian

GhostOfNinian Member

My first foray into the the world of powered-two-wheeled-machines, was in Australia, where I accidentally got a job as a tour-guide running off-road 4x4 tours for backpackers...then got involved in Scooter-Roo Tours which was owned by the same guy and then taught myself to ride one of his Yamaha TW 200cc's with huge sand tyres that I put through their paces on national park tracks, storm-washed beach tracks and if it was early enough to be safe from the wardens, on the beaches too!

Got back from Oz with the bug, got my licence, bought a 2000 plate CBR600F, on which I clocked up 20K+miles in the first 8 months and also did a few trackdays.

I then added a 56 plate CBR 1000RR6 Fireblade to my garage, which I'm riding at Portimao in my avatar pic...love this machine...so much fun!!!

5. The Secret Ingredient

got a soft spot for blades myself have owned 3 and have one now for a project i just never seem able to get round to starting