1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Young boys v UTD

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by HRH Custard VC, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I did dalot a disservice with this post, the lad did well and was one of only 3 that kept any composure on the ball (other two being Pogba and Bruno)

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Did we win 5-0?

Treble likes this.
  3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nah mate it was a draw 2-1

cytrax and Treble like this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Look it's not the end of the world, it's the first game and there's plenty of opportunity to get back on track.

But it's a **** start and we can't play like that again in the rest of the group games.

Even without the sending off, they just wanted it more than us.

Where's the fcking hunger, the relentless pressure on the opposition, not giving them room to breathe.

We need to come out absolutely on the top of our game and be ruthless.

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Wasn't a great performance but the game was defined by two mistakes by players. Not mistakes by Solskjaer.

And I'm no Solskjaer fan boy by any stretch.

I agree to an extent that Solskjaer didn't seem to have a 'plan' for ten v eleven, but we'd secured an away point but for an absolute brain fart by Lingard.

The thing I do hold Ole culpable for is putting Lingard on the pitch.

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Very bad result. Hopefully not in terms of getting out of the group,which I hope we can still do without too many problems. It’s very bad in terms of Ole’s management skills and ability. I was shocked that he removed both Ronaldo and Fernandez. The very last thing any one would do in these circumstances. Why give the opposition with an extra one man that amazing boost? Why suddenly invite constant attack by withdrawing the 2 most potent attackers we have? Completely incomprehensible. A novice wouldn’t have done that. We would have escaped with a draw were it not for some brainstorming error by Lingard but really the **** up was started by AWB but made worse by Ole.

I am so disappointed with Ole and I couldn’t defend the ton of **** that will come his way from the pundits tonight and the next few days.

cytrax likes this.
  7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the match but I thought we drew until I started reading about Lingard.

I also read one text that Ronaldo and Bruno taken were taken off at 72nd minute. I honestly thought at the time that it must have been an injury or something because I couldn't comprehend why both of them would come off when we are down to ten men.

Overall, it's the same old nonsense. You can throw great players on the pitch, but if you don't give them clear direction, then the outcome will be poor when they need to be consistent.

We had two shots on target. Apparently that's the lowest in 138 European game for us. Poor!

I'm afraid Ole is left to learn basic tactics on the job when things are not going his way. The problem with that is that Manchester United should never be his school.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Agent Lingard confused himself, he thought we were playing Saturday's game against West ham

9. Christiansmith

I hope I am wrong in this but Ole or/and his players seem to have some peculiar hang up about the champions league. Last season, the excuse which was completely reasonable was the group was tough with 2 semi finalists in it. The way United lost games was irrational though. Beating PSG away but then losing to a really unfancied side away through lack of concentration. Then getting a man sent off at home against PSG through indiscipline and the manager’s lack of foresight in keeping Fred on the pitch when everyone watching was screaming to get him subbed before he could be red carded. Again we shot ourselves in the foot. Then we needed to get at least a draw against Leipzig and we concede in the first few minutes of the game. Yesterday we were playing supposedly the weakest team in the group but again we shot ourselves in the foot through a mixture of player and manager incompetence and errors.

I remember that until recently despite City completely dominating the premiership they always somehow messed it up in the CL. Are we going through the same phase or are we not savvy enough? Despite doing reasonably well in the league (fingers crossed) we have lost far more than we have won in the CL. It seems we just can’t hack the unpredictable situations that the CL presents. Ole, I’m sorry to say as I am one of his supporters, messed it up yesterday.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Solskjaer has lost seven of the eleven champions league games he's played so yeah, he definitely has an issue in it.

It needs sorting but the league is 100% our priority and he needs to make sure the CL doesn't distract from that.

Not saying in any shape or form we don't try to win it but it's not top of the list, it's a very distant second.

The obvious flip side is the squad is good enough to win it, so we definitely should be competing in it.

All this leads to what we all know; he's very inexperienced, needs to improve, probably won't by much, is therefore not really good enough.

If we don't win something this season, he gets (absolutely deservingly) sacked. The end.

cytrax likes this.

11. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

This is the last match day thread I make, bring back methh, he made winning threads

glazerfodder and cytrax like this.
  12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We will come 2nd or 3rd and be told that we are only one or two players short of competing with the likes of Chelsea, City and Liverpool because they are miles ahead of us. Then he’ll get a contract extension to continue the rebuilding efforts. What fkin tripe!

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Two things to answe that - either, both or none could be correct but just how I see it.

1) Against some lesser sides we just don't have a relentless, ruthless streak. It's almost as if the whole side from manager to players believe they can play in 3rd gear instead of 5th/6th and win. Young Boys looked absolutely up for it from 1st minute, that's how we should be.

2) In the league 80% of the sides are clubs we can play and individual brilliance from the quality in our side is enough to get a result. But in the CL that approach will only get you so far. And that's what we saw in last year's CL, and got knocked out.

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Nah, he won't.

He's been given all the rope he needs to hang himself this time. He's been backed, to the hilt.

If he ****s up they'll get rid. Rightly so.

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  15. Christiansmith

he has been backed to the hilt (surprisingly) and I have to agree with many here he has to genuinely compete with City and others for the title. The squad is strong, with many match winners and can compare with our rivals. I think that he now has the weapons which he needed and therefore the chance which some of us said he deserved. To his credit he agrees that now he has no excuse.

I think despite reservations he will make many like the people at ESPN who are waging a despicable campaign against him, eat their words. But if he doesn’t he will go. I can’t see the owners dismissing him though because for them the difference between the title and runners up is nothing in financial terms.

Diego likes this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

OK so here's a question - what's the minimum he will need to achieve to avoid the chop?

Does he have to win the league?

What if he wins the Carling Cup but finishes 4th in the league?

Bare minimum has to be a trophy and also actually be IN a title race to the end of the season (that means it would NOT be good enough finishing 2nd after being 12 points behind in April and out of a title race).

17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

A pot of some kind should be minimum.
    Title no, there are at least 3 teams out there with the same realistic ambition and they all have something over us for at least the rest of this season, fear factor.
    We lost that a few years back and it takes time to get it back, it may sound silly but teams play different against you once you have it and the game get's easier.

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Which is why I combined the two.

A pot of some kind, BUT you at least have to be in a title race to the end surely, even if you're not winning it.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Of course but what do you call in the race?

Getting the title in literally the last second of the game (City :() or coming second by 12 points.
    There are races and sometimes runaway winners, all you can do is better the rest.

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well I literally said the difference a couple of posts above <laugh>

Last season we finished 2nd but we were out of it a couple of months earlier.

If you're 3-5 points difference going into the last month (or even 6-8 points with a game in hand) then you're in a decent title race.

Diego likes this.