1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic You have been watching... (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2018.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Saw the end of Shetland last night.... I love the atmosphere and the settings but I must admit to having dozed through key parts of several episodes.. Infuriating Mme who then has to explain it all to me...

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

2. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Agree with this Dave

canary-dave likes this.
  3. Scullion

Best film for me this year so far is "The Shape of Water"

Aforementioned TV series: Vera, Endeavor, Shetland and even Y Gwll (Welsh Shetland), what I particularly like about these programmes is the lack of gore, sex and violence. I don't actually mind gore, sex & violence but too much of tv today is based around it.

Anything with sub titles so I can actually hear what is going on, being a hearing aid wearer.

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  4. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I like sub titles too...not sure why. Borgen, Engrenages, Montalbano among my favourites.

Scullion likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I enjoy Montalbano and find that the sub titles help to understand what is happening. I find that I get on French TV sub titles over English. They then become annoying as you sit there distracted with the inaccurate translation. It can also be frustrating to have dubbed French when you can still hear English in the background.

6. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Foyle's War for me - almost comfort viewing for me... I end up quoting the script. Endeavour and Vera are quality dramas.

Guilty secret? Holby, which I genuinely enjoy. Casualty less so but the two have intertwining storylines and Mrs H F insists!

7. Pointless! The programme not this thread of course.

8. Scullion

I cannot understand why the 2 presenters who have been to Oxbridge do this as a job, surely they can find something better to do? They are not alone on TV I would add, must be easy money.

9. Scullion

Oh yes Audrey Fleurot :emoticon-0115-inlov Ooozes sex!!!

10. Great quiz show though!

And to keep up with Fez's theme the first film I saw at the pictures was Star Wars. And the one I never tire of is The Godfather - although the Good, the Bad and the Ugly is close.

Hornet-Fez and andytoprankin like this.

11. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Oooh, ‘The Godfather’ (that was a Homer Simpson drooling impression :)). Simply brilliant. Every second.

Embarrassing comfort viewing film-wise: TV films of ‘East of Ipswich’,’Outside Edge’ (original with Paul Eddington, Prunella Scales, Michael Pennington...); feature films ‘Guns of Navarone’, ‘Maltese Falcon’ (nothing to be ashamed of except the number of times I’ve seen it), and westerns too numerous to mention.

I love TV’s ‘Archer’, which is very ‘wrong’, but knowingly.

12. andytoprankin

This is serious Matej territory.

Deleted....... likes this.
  13. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

I’ve never really been a box-set fan (don’t really get time with the kids!) and have never been a massive film buff, but a couple of years ago I did do my only box-set and watched the whole of Breaking Bad. I suppose I haven’t got others to compare it to but it was the best TV I have ever seen. You may have all seen it by now but if you haven’t, give it a try. Impossible to put down, edge of your seat stuff.

14. Hornet-Fez

May I recommend Justified with Timothy Olyphant? 6 series of 13 episodes with an over arching story arc of the relationship between US Marshall Raglan Givens (Olyphant) and off the rails "best bud" Boyd Crowther played by Walton Goggins. Set in small town Kentucky it's a moral roller coaster ride featuring neo-Nazis, drug dealers, religious bigots and a hero lawman not entirely within the law. Terrific performances, brilliantly scripted. Quite violent, plenty of cliff hangers and not entirely predictable.

15. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I've read 'The Maltese Falcon' and watched the film several times and, though I love it, am still not entirely clear about elements of the plot. I believe Dashiell Hammett admitted there were a number of unresolved loose ends!

Because Pointless must come on before the evening news I've only ever seen the final part and it makes me realise how little I know about films, pop music, celebrities, and photographs of people called William!

After some of the political threads, this one is becoming a 'comfort' thread!

andytoprankin and Deleted....... like this.
  16. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I love Pointless for that very reason Theo, I learn so much about a wide variety of subjects! <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  17. andytoprankin

Couldn’t agree more, A1. Best TV ever. Trying to get Mrs Andy to rewatch. Brilliant performances and series full of plot - I tend to think yanks are better at this than us, I don’t think Brits could fill the season with fascinating plot development like the yanks, we would pad out. I think there was only one episode of BB we felt like that about, that was the ‘fly’ one. That doesn’t give anything away to those that don’t know it! Top recommendation, though. ‘The Godfather’, in terms of quality, of the small screen.

18. andytoprankin

Raymond Chandler was fairly loose in nailing down loose ends, too. But I rather like that, it stopsevery focus feeling like a contrived plot point that will be resolved. Think that Chandler referred to the identity of the murderer of the chauffeur in ‘The Big Sleep’ like this:
    “I don’t know. California can be a dangerous place.” <laugh>

19. andytoprankin

Thanks, Fez, will check that out. <ok>
    Just what I hoped this thread would be, a placeof recommendations and shared loves of screens large and small. <ok>

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  20. Hornet-Fez

Indeedy. Each series has a properly bad baddie in it, all deadly different.
    Other favourites include A Town called Eureka: (a family friendly -not too small children - Sci fi); Life (Damien Lewis, criminally gutted by the writer's strike); Generation War (3x2hr WW2 drama in German with subtitles ); Ray Donovan with Live Schreiber is pretty good too.

andytoprankin likes this.
: Films, Television