1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

York v Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

This is a game with one team who cannot win at home playing against one who cannot win away so the logical result would be a 0-0 draw given the lack of goals by both teams. Throw the possible debut of Bobby Grant and surely a start for Lawrence into the mix for us and the Wilcox new manager factor (first 28 games at Scunny unbeaten) for them and it becomes a bit more interesting. This will be my first visit to Boothams and I predict a 2-0 win for us with Collins and Weso scoring.

2. greenhousmeadowman

Just read that Weso is suspended so perhaps Grant will come in for him and I change my prediction for second goalscorer to Mangan.

3. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After last weekends good win over Cheltenham, Town make the long journey to York this Saturday. The last time we played them was a 2-2 draw at home in 2003 and a 2-1 loss away in august 02. Our last away win was in April 96 on a Tuesday night!

Useless facts about York:
    The Shambles is believed to be the oldest shopping street in Europe, even getting a mention in the Domesday Book of 1086.
    York is home to the largest Railway Museum in the world and has the only Japanese Bullet train outside of Japan.
    Guy Mowbray, Guy Fawkes, Dustin Gee, Frankie Howard, Vincent Cable, Frank Dobson, and our very own Connor Goldson are all born there!

York have had a poor start to the season with the last six games resulting in two draws and four losses. In fact they've only had one win this season against Stevenage. Top scorers are Fletcher (3), Hyde (2), Lowe (2); Lowe is a defender so I guess these are from set pieces, which Town will need to be wary of. Dave Winfield and Luke Summerfield play for them, so they'll have a point to prove if they get on the pitch. Injury wise they have Fletcher out with a Hamstring, Winfield is carrying a thigh injury, and Coulson with a calf. Number 10 Penn is out due to getting two yellows in the last game.

Shrewsbury have a full squad bar Wesolowski who is sitting out due to a five yellow card ban, so that'll save him for 'that' cup game. So who'll replace him? We have Robinson, Griffiths, Clark, Caton, Vincent and erm ... Wildig available for the position. We also have Bobby Grant, who might still be at the club as the rumour has not appeared to have turned true. I'm guessing we'll go for the same formation as we played last Saturday and hopefully break our away duck and not let York win with their new manager!

I'll go for a 2-1 win for Town with Summerfield getting their goal! Anyhow, Breathe on 'em Salop, Floreat Salopia v Eboracum Merda <whistle>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29580018
    http://www.shrewsburytown.com/fixtures-results/match-preview/index.aspx?matchid=3734224

4. Matster

Forum Moderator

Threads merged

5. Matster

Forum Moderator

It is a game I would like to head to, maybe next year if we are in same league!

6. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

following last weeks excellent win for town, which it was a pleasure to watch I take town to win by a goal. providing Lawrence starts. he made all the difference last week in 2nd half. chelt had some beefy defenders but town ground them down and put 3 past them.

i go 1-0 to town. floreat salopia!

7. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

Well, they certainly made heavy weather of that. They should have been out of sight before the sending off. Grimmer looked promising and Griffith did a decent job in centre mid. Grant was a bit hit and miss playing behind the front two. Capable of playing passes that can open up defences but sometimes wayward. It was with an enormous sense of relief all around when we scored. Even after that there were some panicky moments in our defence and York came closer to scoring than at any time in the previous 87 minutes.

8. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

a win is a win, no matter how late. doubt we would have beaten 11 men. anyone know what is wrong with Lawrence and why town are still loaning?

town now 7th and back in play offs. need a win against bury and Pompey to set us up for Chelsea's old men.

9. Matster

Forum Moderator

Commentators reckoned Grant would've got MoM if he'd remained on the pitch. They gave it to Luetvieler in the end.

10. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

Can't see how Lutweiler would have got MOM. Pretty much all his few saves were reasonably routine. I would have given it to K-P. Always reliable and unlucky not to score with their keeper pulling of a reflex save. Many people around me were calling for Grant to be subbed (he wasn't that bad) well before he was.

11. greenhousmeadowman

Agree with you KDS - one very good save from the free kick but otherwise not a lot to do. I thought Griffith was very solid before he went off and helped Woods a lot _ I cannot believe some of the negative comments about Griffith on B and A as he is clearly a player coming back from a serious injury and I think he will play his part this season. Grant made some intelligent runs but is understandably lacking a bit of match sharpness. I would also give MOM to Knight- Percival who looked very solid at the back and almost scored from a corner. Not a pretty game at times but the best team won in the end and we did well to overcome the effects of new manager syndrome and get our first away league win of the season.