1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yet more proof it's all gone wrong

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by JAMES THE GILLS MAN, Aug 14, 2018.

1. JAMES THE GILLS MAN

JAMES THE GILLS MAN Active Member

2. brb

brb CR250

Sad day for football. Maybe a reason last week we saw high attendances at some games in the National League. Supporters are getting fed up with it all and searching to the lower leagues for their genuine footballing fix, where the rules at stadiums are less stringent and players less pampered. I'd happily watch any non league game than put my money into the Premier League coffers where the game has been social cleansed. Sorry i'm off on one again...

grumpygit likes this.
  3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Relatively short for you brb. Expected a full dissertation style tirade of that he game has gone lol.

brb and grumpygit like this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Top flight football is owned by businessmen who are in it for the money, a lot are not even English so have no interest in anything but the bottom line.
    Fans are low on the list of priorities, they come with high overheads (stewarding and police) and low returns.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

It's ok mate i was saving the extended version for the pub <laugh> either that or we can talk Millwall penalties <whistle>

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Without any research at all I've been saying for ages now that Premiership Clubs could survive quite easily without anyone in their stadiums on a match day. Lo and behold I switch on my radio this morning and there on 5Live is a statement that somebody or other has looked into this and they indeed don't need fans anymore. No **** Sherlock............... It doesn't exactly need a genius to work that one out does it as non plastics have been saying it because it's obvious to anyone who looks. This is what people have been striving for with their overwhelming desire to reach Utopia. A club that doesn't need them anymore. Congratulations to all of those who have achieved the position of "no longer required". I hope they are happy with it.

brb likes this.
  7. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

In some ways they don't need fans.

But would you watch a Premiership match on Sky (or watch the MotD highlights package) if there were no fans at the match(es)? I know I wouldn't.

So they still need the fans in that sense. Just shows that they really should be lowering the ticket prices all round - they certainly don't need the ticket revenue!

brb likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

Could the Premier League be described as a Cartel?...

Quite a serious question when you consider it with some deeper thought, after all it's maintaining prices at a high level, and yet the reports suggest they don't need the supporter revenue. Add my claim over many years that football is being social cleansed, maybe my vocal outbursts over the years are not as crackpot as they seem.

Prices being maintained at a high level and restricting competition, ie restricting the EFL. Meaning we clearly cannot compete with the Elite and there is a difference between making a profit and obscene financial greed. After all let's not forget, the roots of all this is a COMMUNITY game, isn't that what we still promote today, or in L1 at least!

So now let's take my comments above a step further. It would be in breach of EU regulations under the heading illegal contracts and agreements which include none less than, price fixing, market sharing, agreement on customer allocation, agreement on production limitation, that latter, EFL is productively limited from a broadcast sense in comparison to the top six.

Finally distribution agreements, where the price charged to the customer is imposed by the supplier! So who exactly is the supplier these days if they don't need fans, does that become SKY - I rest my case.

@itstimupnorth is writing the complaint letter as we speak @alwaysright is arranged as the delivery driver, @grumpygit can carry the brief case and I'm sending @The Gills PegLeg to check out the local Belgium beers.

After all it's called being anti competitive, and if proven would cost you 10% of your turnover, wow NHS problem solved over night. Although only one thing wrong in this genius plan of mine, the body we are complaining to is the EU...hmmm, nothing Elite about that, cough, cough...i need a lay down to rethink.

At lest I've ticked Beethoven's checkbox for passion even if I play the excusable duff note occasionally. I just hope it passes peglegs approval of more like brb's style of short stories.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    grumpygit likes this.
  9. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Now you've given me the most difficult task of all here @brb but for the purposes of research I will investigate the Belgium beers for you.

Yep I av found 'em all belgish an like. Good stuff dis. Wondering about the yocals acting all yob ish. Some waitress clonked me on me head. Ouch. Oh blimey guv it's ze rozzers. Look Mr. Policeman Officer I'm drinking all your stuff for research so shh. You monks make some good stuff but it's no PG Tips and vimto. What ya mean out, brb sent me with his mate Rupey Murder somebody. Got no fans you Belgish. Ouch. Alright geezer I'm off but remember I know brb and he likes ale so watch it shmuck.

Well that went well.

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Yes they are.....if you think differently then lay down and take 2 of the yellow pills. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

brb likes this.

11. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - you could have saved yourself a whole lot of trouble - and just said; " financial greed "

I understand that businesses have to trade with the intention of making a profit. Profit is necessary for businesses for all sorts of reasons. It is only the scale of the profit being sought, that turns it into 'greed.'

Mrs. Alwaysright used to work in a shoe shop which catered for children - the sales of which were not subject to VAT. The owner of the shop placed a 100% 'mark up' on each pair of shoes - compared to the price he paid to his supplier. I would suggest that a 100% is greedy. ( ps - no profit sharing for the staff ! ).

My father worked for BP, and as a young alwaysright, I did a 'project' at school - in which I highlighted that petrol is basically a by-product in the refining process of oil - and could be considered a 'waste product ' ( where the greater income from oil is derived in the earlier stages of oil refinement ) (( not unlike TV money for football, compared with gate receipts )).

There are other examples of cartels -- the 'Big 6' Energy Companies - whose price increases are usually ridiculous compared with the rate of inflation.........

..... and talking of finances - The Banks - I don't find their interest rates very interesting ! ----- and how can it be morally correct for some of the loan companies ( I won't describe them as sharks - to avoid insult to such beautiful marine creatures ), to charge interest rates of 4 figures !!! 1000, 2000, 3000 % etc ?

There are other examples -- including Football. None of them are morally correct. With ALL of them - including Football, the extent of the exploitation of the customer, is only governed by the level of financial greed being sought.............................
    ................... now - where did I put my box of yellow pills ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

always - I think 100% mark ups are common practice in the clothing/fashion industry, that's how they can have their 1/2 price sales, 70% off, yet still make a profit.

The biggest gripe I have with banks is the way they offer you 1 or 2% interest on your savings, then lend your money to someone else and charge them 20%, I have no problem with banks making a profit but it does seem that when it's your money they're lending/risking, you should get a greater share of the profit.

alwaysright and brb like this.