1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yet more lunacy

Discussion in 'Wolves' started by evergold, Feb 23, 2012.

1. evergold

evergold New Member

Now Wolves have added Walter Smith to the list of managers who have told Morgan and Moxey to take a hike! He turned down both short-term and long-term contract options, apparently. Are we to be surprised? Why would a man with his CV decide to ruin it with a relegation-bound club who wouldn't be able to give him the resources needed? He'd have to be insane to do that - and he is certainly not that. At least, however, Wolves have finally approached a suitable candidate (after Curbishley, Bruce, Poyet and Warnock). However, why did they not keep the approach to Walter Smith quiet and informal, rather than publicly embarrassing Wolves yet again?

Who now, then? Bruce is far from the right candidate in my eyes and must surely know by now that he is well-removed from being a first choice, or even a second or third choice, candidate in the eyes of the Wolves board and the fans. What is more, the players now know this too - so what will that do for squad confidence? All of this has come about because of the incompetence of the Wolves board.

About the only thing that Morgan got right initially was to say that this was a job for an experienced, cool-headed manager with substantial prior Premiership experience. Of course, he's since panicked and gone back on that statement by tring to recruit a manager who has zero Prem. experience. However, he was right to begin with on this one point. Who then is left who fits the bill?

I doubt anyone with the right CV would take the poison chalice which is the post of Wolves manager at the moment. However, at the risk of more embarrassment (does it matter any more?) I guess Avram Grant is a possible contender. Whether he is the right guy to motivate the team is another matter. Whether he would come must be highly unlikely. Whether Wolves would pay enough is even more unlikely still. Would he be able to save Wolves from relegation? I would very much doubt it, if only because I doubt if any manager on earth could save them. Might he be able to build for the future from a Championship base. Quite possibly, I suspect. But this would mean his being prepared to start from such a base. We can ask the same question, therefore, as we might have asked regarding Walter Smith - why would he?

Several posters have suggested Premiership novices (or relative novices) such as Hughton. Forget it. They do not hold enough sway or respect in the football marketplace, nor do they have the myriad of contacts internationally which would be required to get the right players to agree to join Wolves, with all the constraints this implies (low pay, questionable prospects, etc.). No, a wise old hand with all these attributes is essential - and, critically, he must be appointed on a permanent basis and paid handsomely.

Ha! Now the problem is obvious - as it has been all along to those who were not too blind or stubborn to see.

Good luck, Wolves. You will sure as hell need it.

2. Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty New Member

Bruce was by far the best option for Wolves.

They'll probably end up with Avram Grant or Paul Ince though.

3. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

The only people to officially turn them down are Curbishley and Smith.

Smith had already retired from football and has no ties to Wolves so was a long shot to lure out of retirement.

With McDermot and Poyet, Wolves asked the clubs for permission to speak too and were denied. McDermott has even said that the deal he signed does not get sorted in a few days. it takes weeks both sets of legal people to look over the paperwork and that he has been working on the extended contract at Reading for 3 weeks. Wolves and Reading have a good relationship so Wolves were no go behind their backs.

Warnock got the Leeds job and not even sure if he got an interview.

Bruce is still in with a shout as far as i am aware.

I do admit that 10 days seems a long time to recruit when we only had 13 games to turn it around, but i would be surprised if we don't have an appointment before the early part of next week.

4. canarie-chippy

canarie-chippy Well-Known Member

Hi Wolves fans
    Canary in peace

Must say im a little surprised watching the search for your next boss unfold!
    You would have thought that Moxely must have had an idea of who he wanted to take over from Mick, but it doesn't seem that way?
    Out of the supposed candidates youve had touted i must say that Smith would have been the strongest to have kept you guys up this season.
    With the two week break it would have been wise to have got this over to prepare for this weekends match, with only 13 left its looking like quite a fight ahead ?
    Good luck with who ever you get, hope its not Glenn Rhoder ! Or you are F*CKED !

5. boabwest

boabwest New Member

Have to say that Walter Smith has stated he has NOT retired. He just wanted to get away from the toxic atmosphere in Glasgow. Look at what has happened to Rangers.!!!! He knew it was coming...