1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Xbox One

Discussion in 'The Gaming Forum' started by luvgonzo, Jun 4, 2013.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Xbox One: Microsoft launches new console

Microsoft has launched a new Xbox video games console that it claims will become the single device that users need to control television, video games, music and entertainment in the living room.

At an event at its US headquarters in Redmond, Washington state, the electronics giant boasted that the new device’s voice and gesture controls will allow users to interact with it more naturally.

By saying “Xbox On”, players will be able to both turn the device on and allow it to recognise who is using it.

For the first time it will also integrate TV, so users can move straight from watching programmes to gaming or music.

Speaking at the launch, which was streamed around the world, Don Mattrick, president of the interactive entertainment business at Microsoft, said: “Today we put you at the centre of a new generation in the living room - where your games look and feel like nothing else, where your TV becomes more intelligent, where all of your entertainment comes alive in one place.

“Team Xbox is on a new mission - design and build an all-in-one system to light up a new generation of games, TV and entertainment.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo.../Xbox-One-Microsoft-launches-new-console.html

I'll update this as more Xbox One news is revealed.

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Microsoft mocked for emphasising TV on Xbox One over games

Only hours after the Xbox One was officially launched in the US, the online community is already beginning to poke fun at Microsoft's focus on one of the console's new features, television.

At an event at its US headquarters in Redmond, Washington state, the electronics giant boasted that new device’s voice and gesture controls will allow users to interact with it more naturally.

Microsoft's executives also wasted no opportunity to remind viewers that the Xbox One will integrate television for the first time, so users can move straight from TV to gaming and vice versa.

The Washington-based company also revealed a link-up with Hollywood director Steven Spielberg on a live-action TV adaptation of popular game Halo.

It was precisely this heavy dependence that spurred one YouTube user to splice together mentions of the words 'television' and 'TV' from last night's launch event into one clip, much to the amusement of the online community.

The parody video, uploaded by user Darkbeatdk, seemed to strike a chord with some fans, with one commenting: "I have a TV. I want a gaming console."

3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

they will be giving achievements for tv programs.

tbh It sounds like a system I would be interested in but I have yet to see any real gameplay on it and I hear the starting price will be around £600 <yikes>

4. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

As with every gen of consoles, it's always pitched at the higher end as fools will buy it (for almost any price as long as it's in line with competitors).

The smart money will wait until after the first Christmas it's been out. Within 2 years, the RRP will be little over half of its orignial RRP.

Trust me, man, people will continue to use 360s and PS3s for a while yet.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree, there are plent of good games on the consoles.

6. Two years down the road they are worth less because second hand ones are about too

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The Xbox PS war looks very much in favour of the PS I wont be buying either to start with but in the future I'm now leaning towards the new PS.

8. National N1

National N1 Active Member

Have owned the last two xboxes and the sega machines before that i will not be bothering with xbox one and i think many will do the same shame really but i just dont think this systems suits my Gaming needs and will opt for the ps4

9. Rubik's Tube

Rubik's Tube Member

I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one that's really excited about the Xbox One. I use my 360 pretty much every day for iPlayer, 4OD or Youtube and most days to play games.

As I see it, there isn't much wrong with the gaming side. I trust Microsoft and Playstation that the next gen will have better graphics and processing but I can't say the improvement is desperately needed.

However the interface; loading time; occasional crashes etc for the media apps are really frustrating. This is the area they are way behind other technology, esp Apple.

Microsoft seem to have identified what is awful and scrapped and redesigned it. They also know what is working and will no doubt explain how they have made it even better.

10. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Problem is, I've yet to be shown where any of the Xbox's media apps are doing something that i couldn't already do more efficiently on either my TV or Laptop and by focusing on them rather than the gaming (in fact restricting games noticeably) they've alienated their core audience. We'll see how it works out for them, but Sony have dominated the PR war so far.

11. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/06/why-youre-wrong-to-hate-the-xbox-one/

Let’s address two of Reddit’s the internet’s biggest problems with the One head-on: the need for an internet connection, and the used-game-reselling things. As many people and outraged memes have noticed, the Xbox One requires you to connect to the internet once a day, and the reselling of games may be slightly restricted.

Pretty much everyone reading this, by default, has an internet connection. Connecting your One to the internet once a day really won’t be an issue for you. Yes, I acknowledge that occasionally, when you move house or there’s a catastrophic network outage, you might lose connectivity for a few days. But y’know what? A) I would guess that 90 per cent of the readers of this site have a smartphone they can tether their One to for 30 seconds, to fulfil the connection requirement; and B) you can live without playing your Xbox for 36 hours.

What I’m trying to say is that it’s stupid to rule a console out because of an unlikely situation that’ll happen once every few years. I get that people like options; but honestly, connecting your One to the internet once a day isn’t a massive chore.

Moreover, having internet connectivity has worked before. As a PC gamer, Steam is my Mecca: it requires an internet connection to play games (unless you put it into Offline Mode before you lose your connection, but that requires foresight, so meh), and people don’t complain about Steam.

They don’t complain about Steam because it offers benefits. Namely, digital copies of a game that are accessible on the day of launch, and the ability to access your game libraries from any computer.

Guess what? Those functions are available on the Xbox One. Digital copies of the game are available on launch day, and you can play your games without having to stick the game in every time. That’s only possible because of the internet connection — if you didn’t require an internet connection, it’d be all too easy to pirate the digital game copies, and the game studios wouldn’t allow these cool features. Going forwards, being tied to discs would destroy innovation; all the Xbox One is trying to do, I think, is innovate. To punish Microsoft for that is cheap.

The Used Game Problem
    The second, thornier issue is that of used games. Microsoft have said that the market for used games is going to be restricted a little. You can still re-sell games, but only through ‘authorised retailers’, and you can still give the game to a friend, as long as you’ve been friends with them for more than 30 days.

Yes, it sucks that Microsoft is restricting the re-selling of games. But it shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. I hate to use the example again, but PC gamers haven’t been able to re-sell their games since online activation became commonplace. It’s not a problem, though, because the game market adapts.

Go onto Steam right now, and you can find games that are a few years old for a fraction of the price they used to be. Case in point: I recently bought the entire GTA series for about £15. The Command and Conquer set was even cheaper. As games get older, you’ll be able to buy them for less and less money. Sure, it’ll be a little harder to flog your old games on eBay for cash, but again, that shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. Microsoft have made it clear that you’ll be able to re-sell games, given a minor inconvenience. Console gamers should consider themselves lucky that they’ve even got the option, something I’m sure PC jockeys would die for.

Let’s not forget, Sony aren’t creating a completely open market for used games either. They’ve said that just like on the Xbox One, the used game policy will be up to individual game devs; in essence, you can expect the system to be very similar on both the Xbox One and the PS4. If you’re going to get mad, get mad at the game studios, not the people who make the console.

The Advantages
    So that’s why the Xbox doesn’t suck, but that fundementally doesn’t make it any good — especially when the One is £80 more than a PS4. Only, it’s got a Kinect controller that, in the right hands, could revolutionise gaming. Yes, Kinect is mandatory, but that’s the only way to force adoption. If Kinect was an optional extra, most mainstream game manufacturers would shy away from it, since it might rule out potential customers. Making Kinect a necessary device will drive development, creating a whole new genre of immersive games any decent gamer should be totally psyched for.

There’s also the TV stuff. Yeah, Microsoft said TV a lot in their Xbox One reveal, but that doesn’t make the One any less of a gaming device. Just because Microsoft is giving you a bit of extra functionality, does that mean it’s not a gaming device? Of course not. The PS2 could play DVDs, and I didn’t hear anyone complaining about that.

Fundamentally, Microsoft has given the One internals every bit as good as the PS4; a controller than has the tech world all hot and bothered, and a cloud gaming functionality that should enable devs to produce some wild graphics. Just because they’re also trying to make the One a controller for TV, doesn’t mean it won’t play your precious games. That’s up to the developers, and if we can learn anything from the much-maligned FIFA and Call of Duty demos, it’s that game studios care about the Xbox One, very much.

To use a footballing cliche: at the end of the day, the Xbox One’s flaws have been blown out of proportion. Checking in online at the end of the day isn’t a hassle for 99 per cent of everyone, and it enables the digital rollout of games, which is a Good Thing. You’ll be able to sell your used games, albeit with a few restrictions. It’s gonna be the same deal for the PS4, so no points to Sony there. And finally, the One comes with a technologically ridiculous Kinect; TV functions that honestly look quite cool, and gaming hardware that’s more than a match for the PS4.

If you still think Sony’s won this round, you need to think again

12. - SW6 -

- SW6 - Well-Known Member

Well said Luv<ok>

People are sceptical because Microsoft are perceived as moving away from gaming and towards multimedia, but that's a reality that has already been initiated by the PS3 when it launched.

Google, Apple and Microsoft are all looking to be the big players in home entertainment, across all platforms, so this is just a natural progression.

The games will be amazing, and there is no way they could afford to let that side of it not be, it's just that they are looking to appeal across a broader section of the market.

The long and short of it is: Microsoft are a technology corporation, Sony are an entertainment corporation...I know who will get my vote.

13. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

Poofy mongo geek **** <ooooook>

14. - SW6 -

- SW6 - Well-Known Member

:)

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Seeing as my 360 is broken I'm going to have to dig deep for this.

16. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

I bought one a couple of days ago.

I got FIFA14 with it but there's a weird glitch for me. Every time I finish a game in career mode and go on 'Advance' it crashes to the dashboard. So I can't progress in the game :(

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Have to say I'm not really loving the Xbox One. Been playing on one for 3 months, played FIFA 17, Fallout, Titanfall 2 and The Witcher 3. Graphics are good of course but the games themselves seem to lack something and as far as campaigns go there are far better games I've played on the 360.

Skyrim is better than Fallout and Witcher imo, Mass Effect is due soon on Xbox One but it's going to struggle to better the original trilogy. Titanfall was good but short and aimed squarley at online play.

Far Cry Primal looks good and will probably be my next purchase.

18. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Far Cry Primal is awful.

That new Ghost Recon Wildlands looks good if you like open world.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah that does look good.

20. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Did you try Skyrim remastered?

Lots of improvements graphically obviously, much smoother game overall and obviously in-game modding on Xbox, so lots of new toys to play with.

I enjoyed it more 2nd time round.