1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wyke

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Lewberry Pie, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Lewberry Pie

Lewberry Pie Well-Known Member

Charlie wyke is the first striker in my lifetime who has had a bad start then turned it around.

I've been going to games for the last 25 years and genuinely can't remember a forward ever coming back from a bad start with us, they either score on their debut or flop massively.

Can anyone correct this or confirm?

Robertson and Wolfy like this.
  2. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

If i remember right Quinny didn't start great for us in his first season

Coeus, Calmac, John Wick and 7 others like this.
  3. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Didnt Phillips have a slow start although he probably looked brighter. Wyke is proving me wrong which I am more than happy with and long may it continue.

4. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Wyke was awful and his all round game is crap but getting better. LJ said in a recent interview about the work and conversations he’s had with him about confidence, and it seems to be paying off. Long may it continue.
    He actually looks like a player who believes he’s the beat we’ve got, that’s what you want from a striker.

Lewberry Pie, RTB and clockstander like this.
  5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Marcus Stewart was another one who after a slow start became a fans favourite, a few years back now mind 2002.

6. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Hard work pays off eventually. Back in the good old days, the away support used to sing his praises; an honor, I suspect, is not afforded to slackers. His time here began with a couple of significant injuries. Wyke is a beast.

RTB and The Berk like this.
  7. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Philips scored on debut (Man City) I think

8. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

It's amazing what a couple of scruffy goals can do for his confidence. He looks so sharp and decisive in front of goal now - compare that to last season where he never looked like scoring

9. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

he seemed to hit a point where balls were played into him and if timed right, would bounce off him into the net...but that goal on tuesday highlighted his turn around imho.

when power shaped to cross it i was about to start hollering at the stream as there was no one in or near the box, somehow charlie not only got on the end of it but managed to steer it home.

he is making me eat my words and long may it continue.

Lewberry Pie, DH4, Robertson and 4 others like this.
  10. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

I don't it's just Wyke, I think it's with the other players to. I've noticed that LJ actually talks up his players saying how good they are rather than taking up the opposition or say how hard the league is like the previous manager. If Johnson is actually talking to them and golly gosh actually coaching them in training you'll see the difference in matches, which what I think we're seeing in Wyke

Nacho, Gil T Azell and clockstander like this.

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly there is a famous story written about someone similar Jekyll and Hyde.. was the story. Marvel comics copied the story, Bruce Banner and Hulk.

12. clockstander

Correct 15/8/97 3-1 home win against Man City, Quinn, Philips and Lee Clark, mercurial midfielder Chris Byrne MoM <ok>

Robertson and TopCat_ like this.
  13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Ally McCoist - but he was just a young-un when he joined us.
    "One for the future" they said - but we sold him <doh>

14. clockstander

Privileged to see Ally score his best goal for us, a thunderous drive from outside the box, from such a slip of a lad it showed his potential, and Durban was certainly proved right , one of our best managers imo., and he was building a great team until Cowie turned on him, and to cut a long sad story short we ended up with Lawrence McMenemy rated in the Guinness Book of Records as one of the twenty most successful managers in post-war English football. <grr>.

15. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Well apart from that. <whistle>
    I thought I'd read he had a slower start than I had realised. I mean Wyke scored early as well just his all round play was poor.
    Anyhow, I'm not comparing the two just yet.

samwise_new likes this.
  16. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

McCoist was a bairn when he joined us and imo was light years ahead of the rest of the team.

RTB likes this.
  17. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

he started 'okay' but i seem to remember saying to a lad at one game that if he learns to read the knock downs from quinn he could grab a few goals, strangely, one of my few 'semi-predictions' i have ever made and they both went 'on fire'.

18. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

They were brilliant together no doubt about it but the vast majority of his goals didn't come from Quinn knock downs

19. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Wyke looked like someone else against Ipswich, especially in the second half.

He was taking the ball down, laying it off, attracting fouls instead of committing them, winning in tight areas and looking like a proper centre forward . Who was he?

Hopefully it was more than just a good game. Maybe it was his cousin in as a ringer, or maybe that's the player we bought.

He was injured a long time on and off, and then had to tolerate the appalling Parkinson. So, possibly, him being fit and having some sense spoke to him by a more positive bloke is showing us the real Wyke. I think it's the last of these. There has always looked to be a goal in him, and now he is looking confident and happy in his self.

20. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Glad Wyke has come good,
    He's earned it imo.
    There's a lot more positivity now and long may it continue.
    We're on the up.