1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WYCOMBE vs CHESTEFIELD - Must win game?

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by devonblue, Nov 27, 2011.

1. devonblue

devonblue Member

I normally guard against labelling fixtures as 'must win' games simply because their are 46 games in a season :) Im also another one who is completely behind Waddock and think we should keep him on even if the worst happens and we go down.

However, thinking in real terms and bearing in mind the fickle footballing times we live in, I do wonder if our next LG 1 game (home to Chesterfield on 10th December) could be crucial to our season. Sad to say, if we lose at home to the only team who has basically had a worse start to the season than us, I do fear Waddock will go.

Christmas is coming and all that - its normally a crucial time in the season with games coming thick and fast and, although i dont know the exact statistics, teams that are languishing at the bottom come Jan 1st tend to be the ones to drop.

Also, Jan 1st signals the transfer window opening and any new manager (or Waddock) could have this time to freshen things up.

I personally think, with the spirited performance away at the Franchise, and with a 2 week break for Wadds and the crew to get the players fit I think we'll beat Chesterfield anyway.

If we dont, I believe their will be changes........ :(

2. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

this game is MUST WIN, we have to get a win at some point. if we can play like we did yesterday going forward, we will win.however it is so often the situation that we play fantastically against big teams, but poorly in games like this. this needs addressing, cause if were not careful, this will relegate us.

3. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

All your games have now become "must win" games but I fear for you despite putting on a brave performance at MK Dons.

What sort of money does the club have available to try and strengthen in January? and any names knocking about as to who might head your way?

4. Bilversack

Bilversack Member

Money?!?! ha ha ha ha unfortunately Thai there's not a huge amount of that kicking about - and if we do sack Wadds who only signed a new contract last season, we'll have even less than that.

Reckon we could do with a defender - contrary to others' views, I think we're okay going forward and with the addition of Trotta the pressure will come off Beavon as someone's said earlier.

Problems sound like they are at the back. Are our first choice CBs (Winfield and Johnson) good enough? Possibly. But when one gets suspended we have to rely on Tunnicliffe coming in or Foster shifting over - that's not good. Also McCoy does need a chance. But I do think Waddock's been shrewd in this transfer window, got two good players and they will be used.

Not all games are must-win now, don't forget a couple of wins on the bounce and we are back in the position we hoped we would get to - out of trouble. There's a very long way to go. Christmas/New Year is the turning point.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree, as I've said in another thread, that the problem is behind the strikers. As soon as we lose possession we are vulnerable to any attack, whichever league they are from. That to me spells a significant weakness in defence/midfield. We shouldn't have to score 5 goals to win and we should be able to win games with one goal. When was the last time we didn't concede a goal?

6. devonblue

devonblue Member

Agree Ron, cant remember the last time we kept a clean sheet. On a slightly different subject, what happens when your blue Points bar gets to 100? Does the world end??! :)

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who knows DB? It might have ended before I get there. It does appear that 100 is the summit (at 30,000 points I assume) and at 40,000 it seems one goes into Overdrive, whatever that means. Yippee.

8. devonblue

devonblue Member

<laugh> <laugh> maybe, as you press 'submit' on the thread that takes you into 'overdrive', the bloke who set up this site will appear, giving you a round of applause. That, or nothing happens and you start again.....whichever way, the idea of loads of not606 staff scratching their heads wondering what they are going to do amuses me. God, the football must be bad this season............oh wait.

9. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Hi Ron, you may have noticed we concede goals for fun every game too <yikes> hope to god PL sorts that out in the transfer window!

Chairboyjock - I still think all your games now ARE must wins because if you draw or lose the next 2 or 3 games you are possibly going to be slipping further behind, might only be by 1 point but that becomes 1 more point to find at a later date.

I will be, as ever, keeping tabs on your progress in the coming weeks. Hopefully your fortunes can improve.

10. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Chesterfield is not necessarily must win, but could well be a defining moment for Waddock.
    I believe one of our key problems is being without Ainsworth. He is getting to the very last stages of his career, but offers so much in terms of motivation and i think his defensive qualities are also overlooked. We lack leadership on the pitch. When we went 2-1 up on Saturday i never felt that we could defend as a unit and see the game out. We are lacking that unity and between the back four and our midfield and i don't see anyone on the pitch drilling the troups.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree Slasher, we do lack leadership on the pitch. Ainsworth was that man but he's often not there now. It is vital to have someone commanding and driving on the pitch.

We need some steel also. Gone are the days of Creaser, Rhino, Steve Brown and Jason Cousins.

12. Murray

Murray Active Member

The game against Bournemouth was the must-win game. We lost it.

13. 123..

123.. Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  14. armchairboy

armchairboy New Member

Agree with all above, but I do not think that Ainsworth is not the answer. I think that he still has a massive part to play, and does still motivate from the dug out. For me I would put forward Lewis, determination, commitment, motivation, and leadership, he seems to tick all the boxes. He was everywhere on the pitch Saturday, so would be a great lynche pin between the back four and midfield.

15. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

i agree with slasher but we badly missed leon on saturday,winfield is going through a bad patch and tunny well the less said the better.mccoy needs to start foster is way off form at the moment.

16. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

i have been saying for years leon is our best defender at the club, which is a belief i still strongly hold. winfield i think is good enough, just going through a tough patch. i can never make my mind up about foster, but i cant work out why mccoy is in instead. Tunnicliffe is the sort of player who would only make the team when there is an injury crisis: nice person, trys hard but a terrible player

17. 123..

123.. Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  18. MBUWWFC

MBUWWFC Member

Said before the game on Saturday that we would be in trouble without LJ and it showed in a big way. LJ and McCoy are our only defenders with pace and they can get Winfield or JT out of trouble with that pace. Basey would be a better idea for centre back than JT in my opinion and that could see McCoy come into the side. Rowlands is a liability and should be sent back to QPR and Benyon sent back to Swindon.

19. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

leon is a class act and over the last few seasons when we have gone on long unbeaten runs leon has been at the heart of our defence no one else in the back four has his composure or can read the game the way he does.

20. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

It's not just the composure, it's the fact he's one of the only ones that has some decent pace. Winfield and Tunnicliffe have the turning circle of the Titanic!
    It's only Leon's final ball that sometimes lets him down. If he has the composure when passing, I think he would have long left League 1 behind