1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wycombe v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 21, 2021.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I'll concentrate on what I think we can agree on:

- We are dire at the moment and not worth £10, or the mental pain to watch
    - Kalas and Bentley are our best players
    - Over the past 3-4 years, decent players have been sold and not replaced with the same or better quality
    - Our injury crisis is the second-worst in the football league (after Liverpool)
    - We are unlikely to go down, due to points gained earlier in the season.
    - NP (or his replacement) will need to bring in a Midfield General as a matter of urgency - we have other weaknesses but this is the most glaring.

manxrobin and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  2. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

But that has been the case for some considerable time! Someone who dominates not only the opposition, but will rip into his own players if needs be.

That type of player will be expensive - but worth it in the long run.

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Is this the same mob of players at the beginning of the season had us floating around the top with Deano in charge?
    Didn't I hear the words "at last we have a coach that can get the best from these players, where as LJ couldn't" ??
    That's hilarious....

I wasn't looking for playoff places or anything like it, but I was expecting a vast improvement when NP came in....with his experience etc.....maybe it's his way of convincing SL that he needs plenty of backing to achieve what's expected........not a good approach for a permanent position IMO..

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Different player

5. Red Robin

Us as well not spending anymore this season-complete and utter embarrassment-get the brush out and sweep them away.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  6. oneforthebristolcity

No...same player.....and the reason he's better is because he is playing.....getting used to English and championship football........and not loaned out to some backwater League 1 outfit that many on here was calling for................plain common sense..

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It really makes me laugh, 4.5 years in charge, biggest financial backing than any previous City manager in history, 65 players signed, 5 places progressed only, failed his target to get us out of the 2nd tier, no honours, no cups, only thing he ever gave us was broken promises, waffle and weird quotations, you know Europe in 5 years, the grass was to long and we can all bite like sharks on a Monday.

He was sacked for failing to hit his targets, the owner was so pissed off he wanted a breath of fresh air in the club, it's not NP's fault what transpired after Ashton & Jon Lansdown appointed DH and the signings he brought on board, NP had none of his own staff, no pre season, no transfer windows, only made one signing, he has achieved in 3 months what LJ managed for 4 plus years - maintained Championship status.

I think Hilarious is the right word to use.

8. oneforthebristolcity

I think you're wrong......like I said before....it's a good job Deano managed points at the beginning of the season, (with the same players) otherwise we would now be in a relegation spot..
    With his experience, I expected better

9. Red Robin

Can't turn Cart Horses in to stallions I'm afraid the majority are lower championship league one players and Nigel will cull them wait and see. He has given them enough chances.

Redprintt and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Explain 55 wins from the last 156 league games? LJ's slice of that was 37 wins from 108 games, the win ratio has been marginally better since he left.

You and @oneforthebristolcity can defend the 'decent' squad nonsense all you like but you cannot supply one shred of credible evidence to support that.

Pep and Jesus Christ as assistant could not polish the turds floating around in that squad.

The problem is SL is obviously a great business man and has built an incredible infrastructure at the club but the football side has declined since it was decided in January 2018, when I believe we were still in the top 3 that the signings of Liam Walsh, Ryan Kent and Lois Diony were sufficient to push on to the next level and resulting since that date in 55 wins from 156 games.

Redprintt likes this.

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

You overlook the fact that the highlighted/underlined sentence describes the start to every season for us since the start of 2017/2018 season, it's been groundhog day.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I welcome NP if and when he is appointed our long term manager but I have got to be honest, I hope as RP said recently he gets the same assurances and backing that LJ always had, I am sure most of our fans will give him the same backing and support as LJ had in his early days, he should be given time to develop and create a team worthy of Premier league status, if progress fails and we get the same standard as now, he will get the same critique and judgement from me and many others as LJ.

Redprintt and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  13. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

He played loads under LJ and Holden so that bit is nonsense, he was just badly handled by them, forced to play when he was personally struggling and the team were not helping him, very much like last nights game where he struggled physically, not a good recipe for an 18/19 year old.

14. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Again you overlook BCFC annual groundhog day, great starts poor finishes 4 seasons running, the points accumulated during those starts to the 4 seasons have kept us up, nothing has changed the win ratio is virtually the same.

So Pearson arrives in the middle of our annual groundhog day, January window already gone with 14 mainly dross/injury prone players out of contract and 12 injured, what exactly could he have done differently?, I am fascinated to know. And that explanation needs to explain why now 3 managers and a host coaches have failed to get the best out of this decent squad, because from where I am sitting they have all failed.

With all due respect I suggest that you need to watch some of our recent games and then tell me hand on heart that it's not the players responsible for our dire position, 5 maybe 6 players last night proved yet AGAIN that they are not fit to wear the shirt. The blame lies squarely at the feet of the owner and his poodles for mishandling of the playing side.

I bet the season ticket sales will show how the fans really feel about the situation.

Redprintt likes this.
  15. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think injuries have also played their part. We are missing some key players in Weimann and DaSilva. Not saying they are world-beaters, but they played a key role in the side under LJ and then under DH.
    NP has been forced to play some of our youngsters - which in itself isn't a bad thing. Play them now when we have nothing to gain or lose and no fans in the stadiums to destroy their confidence.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  16. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

22 defeats with 3 games still to go must also be some sort of unwanted record this season for a team that will survive just about ?
    Only Rotherham and Wycombe (both of who beat us) have lost more games, and they're both going down.
    Sums it up really.

Red Robin likes this.
  17. oneforthebristolcity

I also didn't overlook the fact that they are the same players...

18. oneforthebristolcity

That's nonsense.....he's 19 not 16....full grown adult.....Brought up in the lower leagues of French football....Completely different to the English Championship.....League 1 loaned out would not have taught him anything........

19. oneforthebristolcity

I didn't say that I wouldn't welcome him......just expected better performances from his management experience......

20. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

There you go again, talking without a shred of evidence, I watched French football for 16 years and it is powder puff compared to the English game, you will not see meaty challenges or the same fitness or general physicality, why do you think Diedhiou spends so much time on his arse?. I watched him in one of his last games for Angers before we signed him and he played as a loan striker and he looked really good holding the ball up and bringing others into the game, but you would be able to do that in France.

Tinnion is 100% correct that loaning young players out to lower league clubs is necessary, it turns them into men and ready for the rigours of championship football. Why do you think Bryan, Reid and Vyner turned out to be so good add to that list Morrell who is now a regular for Wales and maybe even Walsh if we ever get him fit, but hey what does Tinnion know eh?

Redprintt likes this.