1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wycombe up next.....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

A shame we couldn’t get anything from the match after the good win against Peterborough. Over the festive/New Year seven day stretch, we’ve got Oxford, Pompey, and Lincoln. Hoping for six points out of nine there, keep in the top two, and look to bring in some more firepower in January.

Although I take the point that a centre-forward’s role in a McKenna system involves a lot of pressing - it would be good to have a reliable goalscorer on the bench. Hopefully we’ve got our eyes on somebody a bit more prolific as failing to put away chances is arguably our Achilles heel (either that or an odd five minute lapse in defensive concentration per match).

On the whole though, I’m still impressed by McKenna and this team. Second in the table and two points off top - we’re typically sliding to mid-table around this time each season in League One.

2. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Talking about time wasting in last few minutes when teams are in front. We do try and do it just not very well. Against fleetwood, Jackson broke away ran the length of the pitch down the left side and then gave away a throw in. There have been other games we’ve done / tried to do it so can’t blame other teams for it. Good news is that we have players coming back from injury, Aluko played 75 mins last week and got some more minutes today and also Evans got some minutes and he is the key for me. Very good passer of the ball but also frees up Morsy to get forward. Would have taken 2nd at Christmas at start of season and would certainly take 2nd at end of season right now. As

3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Still second,a win and a loss is better than two draws (Sheffield Wednesday).

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Agreed Bigal but.....we should have pulled away from Sheffield and Plymouth by now, so many games we have thrown away leads or dominated but failed to take our numerous chances, that's the frustrating thing!!!

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

We're talking about Town here,it was never going to be an easy ride!!

Spanish and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just have to give some credit to the opposition. Wycombe never gave us a crumb. Very rare you can say that about a side in League One. Any goal we scored would have had to be well worked and high quality.

Yes we should have done better but sometimes we’ll face an opposition that’s effective against us and we’ll have to work a lot harder than usual to break it down.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I know, we all hope they are learning from this glaring weakness! I guess other teams have been throwing points away too. McK sounded remarkably upbeat about it.

He knows we must get a striker in. I liked Keogh too, he showed his maturity and experience. Aluko came on and showed us his touches of class.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Wes Burns is not the player he was last season. We desperately need some competition on that flank.

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Trouble is every team knows how he plays, at times there were three on his case! He still managed to deliver some good crosses.