1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Snooker Semi-finals

Discussion in 'Snooker' started by redcgull, May 3, 2012.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

This years line ups for the semi-finals of the World Championships

S. Maguire............. 11/4 v A. Carter............. 7/1

R. O'Sullivan.......... 4/7 v M. Stevens........... 10/1

Now we get down to the one table and a best of 33 frames. This is where the mental toughness of the players will be tested. In Stephen Maguire and Ronnie O'Sullivan you would assume that they would be the fresher becasue of the ease and speed of how quick they have played and won this year. Maguire sauntered past Hendry and wasnt exactly stretched in his earlier rounds with Perry going cheaply, 13-7 and a 10-5 swatting of Luca Brecel. As for Ronnie the much anticipated grudge match between himself and Peter Ebdon was all one way and a 10-4 didnt flatter Ronnie at all. As was the way he dispatched Mark Williams 13-6, it was quick, lethal and done with great authority. The Robertson match was tougher but a match that lasted not much past 20 hours for 23 frames - average of 20 mins per frame, wouldnt have took much out of him.

Ali Carter and Matthew Stevens however have had a harder time of it and this might take its toll in the end. Although Matthew Stevens played well against Ryan Day, he won 11 frames on the trot, Ryan gave him all sorts of problems in the first session and Stevens would have had to dig deep in the 2nd session. Maybe it helped that Ryan Day was suffering with a migraine and probably couldnt see a ball let alone pot one, Stevens would have known he was in a match. His match with Barry Hawkins really tested him and Hawkins might think that with a little more composure he might have gone through. But Stevens dug in and showed why he made it into the top 8 rankings once over.

If we thought Matthew Stevens has had a tough passage through to the semis spare a thought for Ali Carter. After as easy a game as you would want in the first round, a 10-3 beating of Mark Davis, things changed after that. The match of the tournament so far against Judd Trump was full of tension, emotion and nerve tingling drama right to the very end in a 13-12 victory for Ali. That match and scoreline would have felt like the whole tournament rolled into one and that was just to get past Trump to get into the Quarter finals where the very talented Jamie Jones put up a very impressive fight. A 13-11 victory would have been a great feeling for Ali as he just couldnt shake off Jamie Jones and much credit must go the welshman for putting up such a fight. I hope we see him back at the Crucible as he has definitely left an impression on this years tournament.

All in all the World Champion looks like being Ronnie O'Sullivans to lose and with the bookies putting him at 4/7 its looking like he will add to his 3 World Titles that he already has...

O'Sullivan to beat Stevens... 17-10...
    Maguire to beat Carter... 17-12...

2. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I'll give you guys the bet here, usually always right on these!

O'Sullivan 17-5, Stevens will be blown away, i struggle to give him 5 frames even if Ronnie plays like he did in yesterday afternoons session.

Maguire 17-10, Carter has to many lapses in concentration and is susceptible to the odd bad shot and On fire looks determined this year, i'll go 17-10 Maguire here.

Lump on and enjoy the johnny cash.

3. redcgull

Day 14...

Maguire v Carter... 2nd session... 3-5...

O'Sullivan v Stevens... 2nd session... 5-3...

Maguire v Carter... 3rd session...

4. redcgull

Day 15...
    It is the final day for the semis and looking at the overnight scorelines its pretty safe to assume that Ronnie and Ali will make it through... Though its been hard graft, and should be as your trying to get into the final of the World Championships, the class of O'Sullivan and the mental strength of Carter has shown here. I think Ali should be given great credit if he dos make it to the final as i did think that he would fade after such a hard run, but he is showing none of it.

As a ex-practice partner of Ronnie's it may end up being a closer final than we would think... We shall see...

O'Sullivan v Stevens... 3rd session... 11-5...

Maguire v Carter... 4th session... 10-14...

O'Sullivan v Stevens... 4th session...

5. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Have seen a couple of gems this afternoon.

The opening red from Ronnie, just when Stephens looked like getting back into the match, and that snooker from Maguire.

6. redcgull

Well i got Ronnies result correct...<cracker>

And i did get the Maguire v Carter right...<ok> but not the right player...<doh>