1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic World Cup

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Sapphire, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

England 1 - 0 up after 5 mins

3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

We have done it again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

Football is NOT coming home I hate to say but I don't believe our performances generally deserved to win it

4. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Nope, I reckon something got put in the half time tea, they just didn't seem the same team as that which bossed the first half, that said I did think Croatia played very strongly and deserved their place in Sunday's final.

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Even though Sterling didn't score at all at the WC, his performances improved game by game. He was a constant threat last night. As soon as he went off, our only real threat was gone. This allowed Croatia's defence to push up a further 10-15 yards, which in turn allowed their midfield to push further up and that pushed our midfield back meaning Kane was on his own and was not effective for us. Also it pushed our wing backs back to make our 352 become a 532 so it made our wing backs threat disappear too. All of this just invited Croatia to keep the ball and kept switching the ball to both wings which keep stretching out 3 man midfield and that tired us out. Also as our wing backs became full backs, they were then often outnumbered against Croatia's winger and full back because our 3 CD's were all marking Croatia's front man and all 3 switched off for their winning goal.

I said to everyone with me last night watching the game just 5 minutes after Sterling went off that Southgate taking off Sterling was a bad move because it had changed the game in favour for Croatia. And it did.

Just frustrating that we had chances to win that game. Kane missed a sitter for him. And then he took forever to follow up and ended up hitting the post. Lingard had 2 great chances and failed to hit the target both times. Stones header from a corner beat the keeper but cleared off the line.

We are obviously dangerous from corners. Yet we should have had 3 further corners in that game which were not given. 1) When Kane hit the post then hit their keeper and went out. Linesman then gave offside. Was not offside. 2) Croatia defender failed to keep the ball in play but linesman wasn't up with play so didn't see it go out for a corner so played on. 3) England crossed the ball from a free kick and Croatia player header clear for a corner but officials gave a goal kick. As we are dangerous with corners, we may have got a goal from 1 of those corners.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator