1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World cup thread.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, May 24, 2018.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Keep it all together here lady and gents.

Here are the groups:
    download (1).png

I don't expect too much from England but am looking forward to watching a few games as the tournament progresses.

I think Mexico have a tough job on their hands to get out of their group, ni modo.

Also, I hope the tournament goes smoothly for Russia's sake.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Deleted....... likes this.
  2. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Three questions occur to me regarding England:
    1) How far will England need to progress in order for Southgate to keep his job?
    2) At what point will the British press turn against the team?
    3) Who will be blamed for England's elimination?

Perhaps we should run a competition.

Markthehorn likes this.
  3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Good idea!

4. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Surely get out of our group - from then on who knows.

Need Kane to be on form - that is for sure!

As for overall winners - one of France or Brazil I reckon.

Mexico do have a though group but they seem to always make the last 16!

5. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

When Belgium have a decent team, they usually do reasonably well, so I'd say that they are dark horses.

6. Markthehorn

Certainly do - but hopefully not at our expense!

7. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I appreciate that this thread is supposed to be about the impending World Cup, but I didn't know where else to put this post. I appreciate that FIFA have decided how many places each confederation has when the tournament expands to 48 teams, but I think they could have used some creative thinking(!) and given a place to a squad drawn from players whose countries failed to qualify. If you think about the players that are going to miss this years tournament, it makes a certain amount of sense. The manager would be someone who has been successful, but is currently without a job. There must be players from all confederations, with the possible exception of Oceania. I'm not saying that there cannot be players from Oceania if they are good enough to be part of the squad, but it is unlikely.

8. Mexican Hornet

The coach hasn't been getting good reviews recently. I think we'll struggle. (Yes, I can say we I am nationalised here)

I hope I am wrong mind, they might up their game come Cup time.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Deleted....... likes this.
  9. It's a pig of a group really. Had a soft spot for them since 1986 as the atmosphere in their games was stunning. Had some very good players over the years too.

I guess it must be fun going out and watching their games when the time differen

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  10. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

I think Belgium could go all the way if all their stars play to their full potential.

11. I just don't think they will. They have a big issue with nationality like the Spanish used to and am also not convinced they are that good anyway. Having said that, I backed France and you can make lots of the same arguments

12. Markthehorn

13. Mexican Hornet

Mexico had a 0-0 against the sheep shaggers on Monday.

Now they have Jockland in a bit. Hope for a better performance and that Osorio doesn't put out the same team as his selection was questionable against the Welsh.

The Azteca is some stadium, that is for sure.

14. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

England should reach the quarters but dont put any money on that it's too risky.
    The winners will come from one of the European sides as i think they are better and i fancy Germany to scoop the award again. If you are looking for an outsider then you wont go far wrong looking at Portugal.......

15. Mexican Hornet

2-0 at arf time. Hopefully more in the second.

16. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

I reckon unless they lose heavily in the group stages - can't see that happening - then he is already safe. The last three results were well above expectation and we are playing attractive football. Last night our possession and recovery were the best I've seen in years. And who would they replace him with?

I think Southgate is good at PR and controlling expectations. Only stupid press will have a real go.

Sterling when he gets red carded for cheating. I think he is a liability and I'd drop him :emoticon-0127-lipss

17. swanseaandproud

England have not played anyone of note and they expected to win to boost confidence....They have looked shaky on more than one occasion to ever think of winning the WC...

18. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Swan I'm not sure any sensible english supporter has seriously proffered WC winning thoughts. What most England fans are realistically looking for is to have a good tournament - possibly quarter finals - and that seems realistic based on recent form that we have seen. And recent results have atleast met the fans expectations: England 1 Italy 1, Holland 0 England 1, England 2 Nigeria 1. Yes they are friendlies but you'd be hard pressed to find many better sets of results.

While Germany have played harder teams 1 point out of 9 doesn't look too good.

Yes there are exceptions like France of course.

As far as playing anyone of note England have played teams who match up well to who they'll meet in the first 3 matches of the world cup. Seems a sensible strategy to me.

Anyway hope you enjoy the WC despite Wales being unlucky not to make it. Atleast you've had some great performances of late and can build on that for two years time <cheers>

Hornet-Fez and Deleted....... like this.
  19. swanseaandproud

I do think England will reach the quarters but there are not that many quality players to choose from and my belief is because there are far too many Foreign players occupying our premiership that is hindering a lot of quality to come through,,,,This has to be addressed just like Germany did who went on to win the WC. My mom was born in England of Irish grand parents and i am Welsh so i support everyone except the Scots <laugh>.......I will be supporting England 100%...

Deleted....... and kchorn like this.