1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 27, 2018.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44467548

Irritated indeed...

The Spanish football federation (RFEF) said it had dismissed the 51-year-old because the negotiation occurred "without any information to the RFEF".
    "I know it's a very difficult situation. I know there's going to be criticism whatever I do," said RFEF president Luis Rubiales, who was told of Lopetegui's new role five minutes before it was announced. "You can't do things this way, two or three days before the World Cup. We have been compelled to make this decision."

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I've merged your thread Nick with the existing 'World Cup ' thread, it had slipped down the table, I have now 'stickied' it up.

NickH likes this.
  3. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think Spain should have kept him for the World Cup tournament.

Rafa Benitez linked to the job!

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

are they allowed to change personel aftwer the submission date?

ps don't forget your groups forcast if you haven't already....

5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

For players I think you can only call up from a pre-determined 'stand-by' list, but I don't think there are any such rules for coaching staff. If there are, then Spain would be made to look rather silly!

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

The first match of the tournament showed me that neither team will go very far. Saudi Arabia were very poor and Russia took advantage of all the opposition’s weaknesses which proved very little, particularly when they play the stronger teams - but you never know because they are a strong country host.

7. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

For me it's Russia Vs Egypt to qualify alongside Uruguay. I expected more from Saudi Arabia, but they were dreadful. Hard to gauge Russia on that basis, though they scored some nice goals.

8. johngalleyfan2

depends on what the Russians diet is? wholesome food or ………………….

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Portugal - Spain :emoticon-0104-surpr what a game! Good start to this World Cup!

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Fabulous game, what a player Ranoldo is even at 33, just goes to show there is nothing better than a 'Golden Olde' like us..:emoticon-0105-wink:

11. johngalleyfan2

yep even some of us old phartz have still got it …. what used to take 2 mins now takes half an hour!!!!!

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I still remember that old Fred Wedlock song that it takes all night to do what I used to do all night, maybe not such a bad thing.

13. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Portugal - Spain....A lesson in how football should be played....

14. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Another great day! A worldie free kick from Kolorov, a stunning goal from Coutinho before Brazil were pegged back by Switzerland, but the day belongs to Mexico! I thought they might sneak a draw, but to beat ze Germans is a great start.

Just need England to do their job - on paper they should win, but Tunisia have the potential to upset much like Mexico & Iceland already have. I'm looking forward to it. ☺

wizered likes this.
  15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I couldn't agree more but I think this England side is a bit different than previous, no bigheads, no immortals (that I'm aware of), just a group of players and a manager trying to do the best for theit country, it's different and refreshing and like you I'm looking forward to it,

oneforthebristolcity and NickH like this.
  16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I think maybe some people have been a bit unfair accusing past England players of not caring, but I do agree that there does seem to be a better vibe with this side than others. I get the sense there's a greater feeling of togetherness & more attacking intent. Hopefully they pass the first acid test.

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Can I just add to that I think our manager is totally different from previous appointments ( Big Sam not included), he is young, in touch,media aware and far brighter than people give him credit for, I love younger people taking over in life in general but I was a critic of Southgate but what an organised aware guy, I'm happy..<laugh>

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  18. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I was very unsure of Southgate when appointed, in fact I'd go as far to say. it seemed like a boring appointment.....And I know we haven't won anything yet...but I do like the way he conducts himself and how he seems with the players.......defo grown on me....fingers crossed, him and the team will give us some respect back!!

19. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Same old problem for Brazil. Players are amazing on the ball and not half clinical enough in front of goal.

I wanted Argentina to beat Iceland but they had the same problem. Plus Iceland had 11 players behind the ball for long periods.

Peru and Costa Rica also very wasteful when they had opportunities to score.

The Achilles Heel of South America ?

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Mexico played well last night, really shook up Germany, looks as though they could go a long way, fair play to them.