1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup Russia 2018!!!!

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, May 15, 2018.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The excitement starts here! Yay!

The FA, in its boundless wisdom, has given young Gareth two goes to name his squad, giving us twice the fun in criticising him. Deep joy.

Tomorrow his 23 man squad plus stand bys will be announced, and the BBC reckons it omits Hart (good, he’s been crap for ages) and Wilshire (hmm, he’s not really played enough but is genuine class when fit and on form). Rose, despite only 9 starts for Spurs this season, will be first pick left wing back. Back 3 of Stones, Maguire and Walker, though I’m not sure who is right wing back in that scenario.

Don’t think there are any truly great international teams out there, but there are some very good ones. Hard to bet against Germany.

Will Gareth lead the lads to victory? Will the fans behave in the face of the Russian mafia, football firms and security forces (interchangeable)? Are the WAGs going, and if so will they be buying Faberge eggs?

The tension is mounting, the expectation will be built up by the telly people, pundits warming up left right and centre, and I’m looking forward to a long sleep.

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Hart is well past his best now, can't even get into a ****e West Ham team - but then Butland (just relegated), Pickford (too young, erratic, relegated last season with Sunderland), Forster (can't even get in a ****e Saints team ahead of McCarthy, who didn't look great when he was with us) and Pope (not experienced at international level) aren't much better.....give Smithies a call up Gareth least he can save penalties....

3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I presume Trippier would be the right wing back if Walker is played as a CB. I'd prefer Walker as the wing back.

Uber_Hoop and sb_73 like this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Good spot. Apart from Kane up front and Dier I reckon there are few nailed on starters.

Given that we couldn’t win anything with a midfield including Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard and Scholes (granted all played slightly out of position except Beckham) I won’t be getting my hopes up. Still, we’ve always done best when things look dodgy early in the tournament and we’ve had to change shape/personnel - losing Greaves in 66, Wilkins getting sent off in Mexico, the players demanding we used a sweeper in Italy....

I’ve just looked up the dates. Turns out we play Panama when I’m working in the US, it’s an 8 am kick off. First job tomorrow is to shift a few meetings......and then hope that some channel will be showing it - one of the Mexican ones at least.

Didley Squat, kiwiqpr and rangercol like this.
  5. rangercol

A lot of that was down to the twats letting club rivalry get in the way. Thick ****ers!!
    I'd take Wilshire, as we haven't got a lot in midfield and sadly Lalaana isn't going to be fit enough.

sb_73 likes this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

What do you think of Alli? I’m undecided. Clearly talented but something worrying about him. He is still very young though. Delph apparently likely to go, I reckon Henderson would be a starter, he works for Liverpool where he’s surrounded by talent, not so sure about England. Shame that Loftus Cheek only got an international try out so late, he’s been playing really well for Palace.

Which one did the FA say we should be aiming to win? 2022?

7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

England not possessing a half decent keeper hampers us.

Steelmonkey and rangercol like this.
  8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I'd definitely take Shelvey.

NorwayRanger and Stroller like this.
  9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Having thought about it, I would still play Forster in goal over the others and go with something like this off the top of my head ( Southgate obviously wouldn't though.) Solid at the back with pace and two in form strikers up top.

please log in to view this image

10. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

German players not in the provisional WC squad ...

Mario Gotze, Andre Schurrle, Shkodran Mustafi, Emre Can, Sandro Wagner, Max Meyer and Benedikt Howedes. That's some strength in depth :emoticon-0107-sweat

11. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

It will be interesting who Southgate choses from his squad and even more interesting, who he will chose to play.

For info, Paweł Wszołek was NOT selected for the large provisional Polish squad. It should be noted that recently he has only been a squad player. Analysis in the press highlight that currently his goal scoring record is poor, which is true, plus he does not play as a regular.

12. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

If England can assemble a great attack, I wouldn't be too concerned about the keeper.
    At least you guys have some great younger players.
    We Aussies are putting our faith in a pensioner named, Cahill ................. who at 38, can't get a start at Millwall.
    Yep, Aussie football is booming nearly as much as the sale of sand paper.
    With this in mind, I'm on the lookout for a decent second side to follow ................. so you people need to put a good show, ok!
    I don't want to be left supporting Kazakhstan in my yellow thong, saying, 'Hi Five' to every goal they score or let in.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Uber_Hoop, kiwiqpr and QPR999 like this.
  13. rangercol

I really rate Alli. However, he needs to learn to stop coughing up possession so regularly. At international level this is a huge no-no, especially as teams aim to play on the break so much. He also tends to slow down counter attacks by taking too many touches.
    If everyone was available and fit he wouldn't start in my England team. Unfortunately he'll have to. At least he looked like he was back in form in the last few games.

NorwayRanger, QPRski and sb_73 like this.
  14. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Plus very large experience of playing with Harry (Kane - not old dodgey knees!)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Sterling? Given his form for City hard to leave out of the starting line up, and a potential match winner, but I wish he had Guardiola or Arteta on the touch line giving him 1:1 coaching - he knows what he has to do for City, but they have lavished attention on him to make sure he gets it, which he won’t have in Russia. Gives the impression on not being the sharpest tool in the box.

Been thinking about Paul Scholes, who both Guardiola and Iniesta say was their favourite player, and wondering why we never built a team around him.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  16. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Agree I like Alli too...so much natural talent, but nerves and situations get to him.
    He is brilliant when things are going for him and Spurs.

He is the first to crack when they go under pressure. His game gets much shorter, he tries to do too much and he has a short temper.
    If he can control his nerves England will do well. If he can't he might be a bit of a liability.
    He is the most creative player we have...so in the later stages ...we need him to be excellent

17. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

I like him too - when he just gets on with playing football. There's a real joy in some of the things he does. But... am I the only person who thinks he's got a mean streak in him? A tendency to risk a red card by trying to settle scores off (or near) the ball?

18. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I believe that he does have a "dark" or 'hard" aspect to his game.

19. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

This is the squad:

Goalkeepers
    : Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44138600

20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member