1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup 2014 Thread & Sweepstake

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Mar 7, 2014.

1. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Cup final mentality from the go, Costa Rica have proven they aren't afraid to bite at the throats of big dogs. Roy was proving to bring fresh impetus but slumped back to a similar style of football as seen in 2010. Brb I agree that there needs to be wholesale changes on how the football league and prem are run, but how can that honestly be done without entering a dark age of top flight football in England? A runaway train can't be forced off a track without any damage being caused.

2. brb

brb Guest

Good post and agree. I know we can never undo what has been done and the benefits have been reaped in new stadium builds from a rotting era. However, there needs to be a closer communications at all levels, including supporter federations to find a new balance.

My main aims cap player wages and transfer fees in a universal agreement. Prevent clubs such has Hereford and the like from going under with small debts in comparison to the top level. I'm not saying give them money but a better understanding of financial insight. Listen to the players and coaches at lower league levels to understand what is required. Severely restrict foreign imports at all levels. It's no good having an elite league that produces no national achievement. This is all brief and done in a few seconds off the top of my head but i'll let others add more of what they think is required.

This whole SKY revenue needs to be looked at and dispense with the old boys club of the FA and FIFA.

3. Steve347

Steve347 Active Member

Banned for 4 months

Attached Files:

4. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Either he's guilty or not. You can't be partly guilty in that situation. As he has been found guilty,4 months is not much punishment. If it starts now,he will be back playing for Liverpool ( I doubt they will sell him and just make some pathetic excuse for his behavior) by the end of October. The 9 match international ban ,apart from missing the World Cup, won't affect him too much,because he will have served it by the time the next meaningful competition games come around for Uruguay. It's not really much more than a slap on the wrist.

5. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Well,it won't be Brandy. He's just joined Evan's lot

6. Steve347

Steve347 Active Member

7. MikeGills32

MikeGills32 Member

Well I'm in the semis

8. town end

town end Member

That's me out then, a great effort from Costa Rica showing that better individual players don't always make the best team (take note Roy Hodgson and any future England manager)

9. brb

brb Guest

I thought Costa Rica were the outstanding nation in the World Cup and i was so willing them on to win last night. However, like all the other matches before them, the underdog took it to the wire but the favorites stole the show once again.

I don't pretend to be any great knowledge on the Costa's but rather than Hodgson so much, the FA needs to take note. How many Premier League players were in that team, I honestly don't know not being a Prem follower but i guess about one. Please someone correct me if they know the answer and if i'm wrong in my thoughts of hardly any Premier League influence.

Costa Rica were a joy to watch, yeah against the dutch they had no real strength for a majority of the match to look like scoring until right near the end but when it came to penalties, the footballing gods deserted them and favoured the cheating, diving Robben team. Every time he ran with the ball, you knew he was going to go down, when are FIFA going to stamp on this, i believe near the end of the game, when Robben ran into the Costa player, his feigning was beyond belief.

I'm happy to watch any team lose every week, if they lose in that style, even more so when up against a so called top nation full of over expensive talent.

What's wrong with football in this country, it structures players on price rather than true talent. You can keep your Rooney's and Terry's of this world, what was the overall price of a Costa Rican? I'm sure i heard the cost of one Championship academy...World, plastics but more importantly FA take note.

10. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Tbh I was surprised that Algeria managed to get out of the group but Costa Rica hasn't definitely been the stars of the tournament. You never know, Arsene Wenger may actually give Joel Campbell a chance now lol.

11. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I believe Arsenal wanted to play Joel Campbell this season but they were still waiting on a work permit as they have had problems with that ever since they purchased him.

12. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

So who am I facing in the final??

13. MikeGills32

MikeGills32 Member

All I can say BSG. Let the best man win ;-)

14. MikeGills32

MikeGills32 Member

Oh and brb just checking all 32 members have to pay the winner a fiver each? :p

15. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

I heard it was £20!!

16. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

WHo would have thought they would be a game of football with an Englishman supporting Germany or the Argies!!

17. MikeGills32

MikeGills32 Member

In all fairness mate I think I'd rather the Argie bargies over ze Germans.

18. brb

brb Guest

Sorry guys...I've got to go for the Argies...I have real £££'s riding on this. I'm just hoping fate don't change course and give it to a european side for the first time ever in South America.

19. MikeGills32

MikeGills32 Member

Thank you very much. Now the world cup is over bring on the new league one season and up the Gills

20. brb

brb Guest

Well done MikeGills32 <applause><applause>

and like you say...bring on the new season