1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Work In Progress?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by royalbarclayfan, Mar 31, 2018.

1. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Whether this is work in progress or not
    Is hard, at the moment, to tell,
    And how long, I wonder, if there´s no real change
    Before there´s a shift in groundswell

For some, this year has been a bore,
    Despite new formations and pretty football
    We can´t do the basics, and score

Is getting still harder, to see,
    Almost a year and two windows have gone
    And we´re standing still, basically

Without Maddison here to sell,
    The future would look bleaker still, so thank you
    Alex Neil, for working your spell

And some seem convinced of that fact,
    At some point some tangible signs must appear
    Or else even Farke may be sacked

And how many years it may take,
    Does Webber seem committed enough to stay
    For as long as the cake takes to bake.

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I had a very rare attendance at the game yesterday and I must say in the main I witnessed a very good performance against a very good team. The only let down imho was Josh's inability to make correct decisions and frequently handing back possession to Fulham.

FML berates the fact that only 2 shots from 14 attempts were on target, what those stats don't show are the several last ditch sliding blocks from some excellent defending, who knows how many of them would have been on target?

I remain very much in the optimistic court!

<rose><rose><rose><rose><rose>

3. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

There was a discussion on Radio Norfolk about the possibility of the teams spine not being around come the start of the season. Gunn, Klose, Maddison and Oliveira. Also, Pinto could be gone as he is a Prem wage earner as are Klose and Oliveira. I find the downward trend of this club depressing, but the serious mistakes of the past will be around to haunt us for years to come.

JM Fan likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="CitySlicker2010, post: 11601726, member: 1001425"I]There was a discussion on Radio Norfolk about the possibility of the teams spine not being around come the start of the season. Gunn, Klose, Maddison and Oliveira. Also, Pinto could be gone as he is a Prem wage earner as are Klose and Oliveira. I find the downward trend of this club depressing, but the serious mistakes of the past will be around to haunt us for years to come.[/QUOTE]
    I agree the spine could be dismantled in the summer transfer window, but I'm not convinced it will be. Gunn and JM will almost certainly be displaying their skills elsewhere and possibly Klose too, but we have Raggett who should be able to step up. at CB. We also have three reasonable loanees to return in Cantwell, Godfrey and Morris. I liked the look of Phillips in the Under 23s, but he may need another season on loan. Let's not forget that we also have Thompson out injured.

I'm confident that we'll certainly be at least challenging for the play-offs next season!! <ok>

Edit - this is from PD's article today - “You look at when crosses are coming into the box how many bodies are there in the box? If one man makes a run across the front post and the defender blocks it – like for Cairney’s goal – he slots it in. You need to get bodies in the box, get runners in behind.
    “It is something we work no in training and it is something we speak about regularly, to be fair.”
    You look at most other teams and they usually have 3 or more bodies in the box!!! :steam:
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-0-fulham-2-1-5458310

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  5. royalbarclayfan

Morning gents - just asking in my, for some at any rate, irritating fashion, :) if it really is work in progress, or whether in reality, Farke hasn´t taken us almost as far as he can. Because as far as I can see, what we´re getting now, is what Farke does, plenty of possession, stubbornish in defence and hopeless in attack. Without Maddison and his little spark in midfield we´d look very ordinary, in fact even with Maddison and spark, we stil look pretty ordinary. As already debated to death, next year will be tougher still, however we try and deal with it, and er... at the moment I can only see us going backwards from here, or at the very best, holding our mid-table status.

6. canary-dave

Not having Trybul, Thompson, Leitner et al makes it very difficult to judge imo! <ok>

7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I think Hanley is much more important to our core than Klose.

As for Oliveira his performances certainly don't justify his wage bill and I would see him leaving with his attitude as a bonus rather than a loss.

For me the loss of Gunn, Maddison & Pinto are the only a real concerns and if we get anywhere near the money we want for Maddison then I'd see his sale as a bonus as well.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    DHCanary likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've been to around 10 home games this season and IMO, yesterday's was the most enjoyable. We were playing quite well and threatening their goal on several occasions at the start of the second half and they seemed to 'go up a gear' after they scored the opener. As Dave says, we were without 3 very influential players and against a VERY good side, so no disgrace in yesterday's result. I'm not overly concerned if JM, Basil and Klose are sold and at least we should then have money to invest in a striker - though I'd love to see Morris given a chance. #watchthisspace

9. carrowcanario

Thinking about progress for quiet a while now we have been 10 points off a play off place, whilst the gap between us and the relegation zone has increased.

This suggests to me that we are now keeping pace with teams challenging for a playoff place, not something we were doing earlier in the season.

canary-dave likes this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

any
    Yes canario - I'm more inclined to agree with your view than cs' view on the MDT - but at the end on of the day, this is a forum and we're ALL entitled to our point of view without anyone else taking umbrage/sniping/etc!!!!

11. carrowcanario

I agree, not sure what I've done to suggest otherwise !

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I was referring to CitySlicker's comment on the MDT.

13. canary-dave

Well, if my having a different opinion to somebody else is me sniping then I may as well stop posting because my opinion is my opinion and won't be changed by having a poop at me.

I probably won't be around much longer anyhow so I'll bow out early!

14. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Let's analyse the title.
    Work: Maybe, but not hard enough 4-1 to QPR.
    In: the **** next season? Yup I think so.
    Progress: Only backwards very fast, please someone end this season now. how much am I looking forward to going to the Cardiff game!?!

Bah!

15. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I've seen no progress on the pitch all season. Compared to last season, which was so disappointing, this is far, far worse.

16. royalbarclayfan

Totally agree Mr Lines, we´re treading water, and have been ever since Farke and Webber were appointed.

17. royalbarclayfan

There was I, about to say
    Where was the stubbornness today. <laugh>

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well, now that the ire of Monday's hideous defeat has subsided (for most of us I hope), I think it's time to draw your attention to this worthwhile article by Andy Head n MFW. Of course we could have gone down the well-trodden path of bringing a manager/head coach with experience of English football etc, but would things have been any better - perhaps in the short term they would, but I'm in complete with this article and nearly ALL of the comments that follow it.
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...me-old-and-not-even-trying-a-different-route/

By all means if your still not happy with the route being taken by SW/DF keep posting to that effect (DD/FML seem to be the ones shouting the loudest that they would prefer Big Mick/A N Other), but I still believe that we had to try something different, even though there is NO guarantee of it succeeding.
    I see McClean had an excellent performance against Motherwell last night and I'll remain QUIETLY optimistic re next season up until the results of the first 10 games are in at least!!!! <ok>

19. royalbarclayfan

Personally JM, I´ve got nothing against trying a new approach, but when Webber was given carte blanche and had the chance to appoint a head coach capable of getting us up and running, he then opts for a second rate German, who subsequently brings in second rate German players, you do begin to wonder just where we are headed. It´s pretty flimsy on Webber´s part, and all on the basis of one lucky stab with David Wagner. It´s a bit like everything else - you buy cheap ,second rate goods, you get cheap, second rate quality.

Time may prove that he was justified, but until/if he is, I remain verý sceptical.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0137-clapp
    From what I've heard/read, it seems the majority of fans are pretty divided and this article really hits the nail on the head - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...at-and-does-it-have-to-mean-little-enjoyment/