1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Woolly Wolstenholme

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by ccfcremotesupport, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

After last weeks refereeing decisions, we're already Victims of Circumstance.

This is a bit of a blast from the past. Some great tracks to reminisce about.
    From Ring of changes, I thing there are a few on here who can claim to be a Fifties Child. Haven't heard from Aber for a while, but track five might appeal, Midnight Drug.

Spookily, Woolly also wrote a track for Time Honoured Ghosts called Beyond the Grave.

clingo likes this.
  2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Encyclopedic knowledge there remote - fair play to you sir. BJH clearly got through to you - the power of music eh?
    <ok>

3. ccfcremotesupport

And a refresher from Wikipedia.<laugh>

I did spend quite a bit of time listening to their music during my late teens though.
    I'll dig some of it out in the next couple days to reaquaint myself.
    Was listening to Van Morrison's latest album today. Very bluesy. Not quite sure about it yet.:emoticon-0112-wonde

4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

This thread has made me realise just how eclectic my taste in music acually is. Hadn't though about BJH in years and van the man has also fallen from my radar in recent years. I may try and have a listen to his new album now you've mentioned it - bluesy sounds good. <ok>:emoticon-0159-music

5. ccfcremotesupport

He's always been a bit folksy / bluesy, but I was surprised how bluesy this sounded.
    I don't dislike blues, just not quite what I was expecting.

6. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I think he spans quite a few styles including very soulful soul. There can't be many people that can honestly say they don't like a single song by the guy. A bit like The Beatles in that respect.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  7. ccfcremotesupport

Call me a heathen, but not a Beatles fan.

Now, Jethro Tull is a different matter. Seen them a few times.
    Oh, and the Eagles. Got most of Joe Walsh's albums. Saw them on the Hell Freezes Over tour.
    Glenn Cambell was good live as well.
    Quite a varied taste myself Cling, though have my favourites, most of it quite old. Camel, caravan, lynyrd skynyrd, supertramp, mamas and the Pappas, Bob Marley, meatloaf, the animals, Bryan Adams, Tom petty, JJ Cale, cher, free, Neil young...........

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    clingo likes this.
  8. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Wouldn't say that I was a huge Beatles fan either, but like I said earlier, I couldn't honestly say that I didn't like all of their songs.

As for the rest of your faves, there are some great names that conjur equally great memories. One or two in there whose name alone makes me cringe, but that is the beauty of music, in that it's diverse nature speaks to the individualism and diversity of humanity itself. On the whole though, some great names in there. Can't believe you missed out Man though. Mind you, Terry Williams (drummer) is a faithful Swansea fan.

Interesting to see Caravan on your list. I remember seeing them in Cardiff's Top Rank with Vinegar Joe opening the show, followed by Caravan and headlined by Argent. One of the best gigs I've been to. Also had the pleasure in playing in a band that supported Supertramp at Cardiff High School! Obviously, this was well before they hit the big time, and as I recall, they were paid £140, a sum my band was hugely jealous of. It was obvious even then that they were on the way to fame - wonderful instrumentalists to a man.

I might have to dive into a bit of Jethro Tull now. I'll just make sure I take my Aqualung.

9. ccfcremotesupport

I think I started with Broadsword and the Beast and worked back. Saw them a couple times in Bristol when we lived there.

Quite liked Phil Collins, though never got into Genesis.
    Saw The Enid a couple times. Robert John Godfrey was an interesting character. Spoke to him after a gig he did in Swansea Uni.
    More and more memories.
    Some a little more hazy than others.:emoticon-0138-think

clingo likes this.
  10. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Crikey. The Enid - I'd forgotten all about them. Can't say that I bought any of their albums or saw them live which is strange considering their links with BJH.

Deep down, I remain a soul man having spent most of the sixties listening to the Stax stars. However, being a regular at the Paget Rooms in Penarth, my eyes were opened to allsorts including many of the names you've mentioed. The clubs and pubs of the docks equally influenced my tastes during the late 60's and early to mid 70's. And that's when things got really hazy.

11. ccfcremotesupport

And their links with another band I never quite got, Marrilian. Robert John Godfrey was a mentor of Fish.

A bit radical the Enid. All their albums were instrumentals after their vocalist died. There were lyrics on Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    They played the backing track to Kids in America with Kim Wilde, but couldn't appear on TotP as they didn't pay their musicians fees.
    Had their own recording studio and used to press their own vinyl.
    Something Wicked....... was banned by the BBC. Something to do with the album cover.<confused>

Worth a listen. A bit lighter than Tangerine Dream.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...6BAgKECw&biw=412&bih=612#imgrc=wfaTofRmEza0BM

clingo likes this.
  12. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Cheers remote. I'll give it a listen tomorrow, but for now I'm off to bed. Hope I don't dream about Elkie Brooks fronting Vinegar Joe.:emoticon-0107-sweat

13. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Saw Vinegar Joe at Kensington Court Club, Newport 1971ish. Elkie Brooks certainly later smartened up her image from the English Janis Joplin persona she had then. Was a great night though. Robert Palmer was class.

Other bands I saw at "the Ken" were Status Quo (stood close to the stage and was deaf in my left ear for a week after that), Roxy Music (the week Virginia Plain was released), Climax Blues Band (their roadies got lost so we ended up carting their gear for them), Argent, Sassafras, Dr. John (pretty awful), Hackensack (good old deep South rock), Jigsaw and a prog rock band promoted by Ross Ballard of Argent, Capability Brown. Got their one and only album and still play it from time to time.

Must have been others but can't remember.

2 I missed that I would love to have seen were Man and Focus.

My tastes remain mainly in prog, particularly Yes who still tour after 50 years although no original members left with Jon Anderson linked up with Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman as ARW.

Love Pink Floyd - there are several good tribute bands out there. Never got to see the original though.

Wishbone Ash are still going strong with 2 touring versions. I have seen Andy Powell's version several times and Martin Turner's edition are performing in Maesteg, of all places, shortly.

Being a dinosaur I don't find much worth listening to in modern music, if you can call a lot if it music. In the car, when not listening to footie. I have Union Jack on DAB. A good range of mostly British music from 60's onwards, very few ads and little chat. Some good comedy clips as well

clingo and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  14. ccfcremotesupport

Never saw Yes, but have a few of their Albums. Got most Rick Wakeman albums and have seen him live.

I'm in the same mould as you BfB, don't listen to much new stuff.

Talking of old stuff, I do like Sam Cooke. Portrait of a Legend is a great album. Another who died too young.

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  15. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Wow BfB, The Kennsington Court - now that takes me back.

Vinegar Joe actually had one hell of a line up which apart from Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmer, included Pete Gage and Keef Hartley. I also saw the precursor to Vinegar Joe which was a band called Dada. Managed to see them with just Elkie up front and also when Robert Palmer joined them. They were a big soul band - 11 or 12 of them as I recall. Brillant live.

And Sassafras! Didn't expect to see them on this thread. Old Terry doing all sorts of tricks with his tambourine and the band going through more drummers than I've had cooked dinners. I can remember Congo Jones drumming for them too. The band I was playing with at the time shared rehearsal space with them in Canton and got wasted a few times with Dai Shell. Good band but too late to get the recognition they deserved.

I think there is a limited amount of good stuff being released these days, but of course and like everyone else, I listen to the music of my youth with great affection.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  16. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Saw the Snow Goose tour in mid 70’s.
    Caravans girls who go plump in the night a favourite.
    Is there a better album than Aqualung?
    Ditto for Neil Young’s Zuma?
    I was one of the drenched few at NP for Bob Marley in 1977.
    The Pronounced album by LS was mind blowing for a young teenager weaned on glam rock.
    Not a lot more anyone can say about the greatness of Free. Saw Bad Co last year at Motorpoint.
    The Mamas and Papas still sound fine today.
    Now on to the 2 on your list which resonate the most with me.
    Supertramp are indescribably fantastic. Not a week goes by still without me listening to them.
    But it is the late and totally great Tom Petty whom is my #1 in your list. Still regret missing him with Nils Logfren in the Students Union in 1977, and was desperate to see him before he died. Not having any new music from him (like REM) is a big hole in my life.

ccfcremotesupport and clingo like this.
  17. BluefromBridgend

Supertramp <ok>

Never saw them but got Crime of the Century and Crisis, what Crisis. Great albums.

I think Roger Hodgson still tours every couple of years.

18. BluefromBridgend

In fact he's touring this year. Virtually all in Europe but 23 and 24 May at Royal Albert Hall.

Bit of a kick up the arse for UK fans.

19. ccfcremotesupport

Saw supertramp in 83 i think it was.
    Read the book snowgoose after hearing the album. Only a short story, and worth a read.

20. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I went to see him at St David’s Hall a few years ago.

BluefromBridgend likes this.