1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Women's World Cup !

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Edelman, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Quill

Quill Bastard

THEN they spent 7 minutes sorting out the penalty and retake - never showed how many minutes added time there was initially, and then she blew a minute later! ****ing WHAT? Literally zero players on the pitch could believe it from either team, that should've shown her how much she ****ed up.

Des Head and Edelman like this.
  2. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Very controversial. Debatable penalty, and retake of pen. But even more dubious was the time played after the original extra time was announced.
    The Scots did however throw it away.
    Edit. Original extra time was 4m. The pen debates was at least 4 more. Ref played about 1.5
    min of the 8 + min needed. Tough on the Scots - but they blew it.

Edelman likes this.
  3. tigerscanada

Just like the stutter step rule when taking a penalty. Daft rules.

Des Head likes this.
  4. Quill

Quill Bastard

Can you even properly save a penalty without going forward? Getting a dive to the corner without forward power? Just diving straight to the side. Surely they’d have to start behind the line!

So, by that logic - you start to stand behind the line, right? BUT YOU CAN'T. THEY MADE A NEW RULE THAT KEEPERS CAN'T START BEHIND THEIR LINE FROM PENALTIES. THEY HAVE TO START ON THE LINE AND KEEP AT LEAST ONE FOOT ON IT UNTIL THE BALL IS STRUCK.

What absolute ****ing bullshit is this?

5. HullCityAFC1904

HullCityAFC1904 Well-Known Member

Two matches I've seen ruined by this now. VAR was supposed to be for clear and obvious mistakes. Well done to Ellen White on her goals in the England game, 3 ACL injuries, she's lucky she can run properly let alone play football, Snodders was written off by some when he had his knee issues

Newland Tiger and Quill like this.
  6. tigerincanada

tigerincanada Well-Known Member

I didn't see the game or high/low lights but to be three nil up with fifteen plus minutes to go, regardless of whether the ref or video replay ****ed up, surely the Scots players and coach bottled it?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. tigerscanada

They did. They were knackered, but the Argies brought on one sub who changed the plot dramatically, regenerating the entire team.

tigerincanada likes this.
  8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Scots out??
    Shame

9. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Taking out the argument of whether the Scots threw it away or not, how poor the refereeing was and so on, the fact remains that if the last 10 minutes of that farce become the norm in football then the game is ruined and will wither on the vine and die.

Edelman likes this.
  10. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Exactly ernie.I expect ben and Dennis feel ashamed now for the way they've always supported VAR.
    Fools

11. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who is finding almost all the refs more attractive than the players?

12. Quill

Quill Bastard

I've kinda supported VAR, it seemed to be on a good track during the World Cup last year, but since then, it's been taking the ****ing piss. I don't really watch the PL that much, but if this bollocks is going to be happening next season, I imagine a LOT of people will turn off.

I still think VAR should've been like challenges - you get to use it once a match (maybe a half), but if you're wrong, you get some sort of punishment. That would of course probably been executed incredibly poorly anyways as FIFA seem to be as corruptly incompetent as ever.

13. Quill

Quill Bastard

****ing good. The PL obviously think last night was an omnishambles and want nothing to do with it.

Also - on that picture with the tweet, doesn't she look on the line?

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

VAR worked very well at the World Cup, I've still no issue with it in principle, it's only the way that it's applied that's the issue.

Love it, or hate it, everyone's going to have to get used to it, as it's definitely here to stay.

tigerscanada and Edelman like this.
  15. Clovis Iscariot

Clovis Iscariot Well-Known Member

I have every objection to it in principle. It was supposedly going to be used only for clear and obvious mistakes. It’s taking the passion out of the game. No-one can be sure now that when the ball is in the back of the net that a goal will ultimately be given. It’s reducing football to a science. Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle and it’s not going to go back in. The more enlightened of us predicted this outcome but the brigade who were enthusiasts of technology (we have it so why not use it) couldn’t grasp the fundamental truth that a forward thinker would know was going to be inevitable.

Newland Tiger likes this.
  16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

You have a fair point !
    The excitement of a goal going in is going to be tinged with doubt, thus taking away that edge .

17. tigerscanada

The problem is that so much money is at stake. The rewards are great, but so are the costs to recoup the investment at the highest level.
    It'll take a few years, maybe 4-5, for the technology and application thereof to be refined/tweaked.
    I can't recall who the player was (most likely George Best way back when, knowing his sense of wit) who once asked a referee if he could be sent off for what he was thinking.
    Ref: "No George, I'm not a mind reader."
    George: "Well ref, I think you're a **** for that decision you just made."

(George had been kicked to hell during the game, and the ref never called a foul against the perpetrators. Probably playing Arsenal at the time :emoticon-0105-wink:).

The point is, all are mere human beings on the field, players & officials alike. Mistakes are going to be made by all participants.
    Watching the tennis at Queens today had at least 6 decisions proved/reversed by "Hawkeye". Correctly. Technology will become just as accurate in football not far from now.
    Refs & their assistants are at a hell of a disadvantage. Any technological assistance is critical imo, for the sake of fairness & in many cases survival of some teams, their players, staff and their owners. Let's not forget it's business.

I'm reminded by a ref who was officiating a game I was playing in about 40 years ago.
    At half time (he was a pal of mine from a team we'd both played on a few years earlier) I suggested to him that I thought he'd got it wrong on a particular call h'd made. His response was brilliant I thought:

"If I made as many mistakes as you do during a game with all the other players on your team to cover for you, I'd have given up playing (he meant reffing)
    years ago".

Put it in context beautifully.

VAR will come good eventually.

18. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Well not really been watching this but put on the game just now and VAR is an absolute joke. It could kill the game.

Two examples.

Germany score a good goal from a corner. No question about it. But they go to VAR for some dubious offside shout. Made the right decision but several minutes wasted reviewing it.

Then the Nigeria defender misskicks the ball and catches the jerry with the follow through. ****e technique but absolutely nowt in it. Just one of those things that happens in a contact sport. Of course they go and give a penalty and book the Nigerian. Wrong decision but if they are spinning that into a foul then it should have been red.

I watched a bit of bundesliga and Serie A last season and saw some terrible penalty decisions from VAR reviews. You can see what you want to see with slow motion replays.

19. Quill

Quill Bastard

I'd go the other way.

That first Germany goal should've been disallowed, based on the (****) offside rules. She's blocking the keeper's view, ergo interfering with play.

Second Germany goal was a pen - it doesn't matter if it's an accident, if it's a foul, it's a penalty. It wouldn't be a red because red cards aren't given with penalties anymore unless it is a handball on the line or seriously violent conduct.

20. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

I don't think it did myself. I think she could see enough and watched the ball all the way. But I get what your saying.

That ball was always hitting the back of the net. Even with a male keeper <whistle>

I see the studio experts completely disagree with me <laugh>