1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wolves & Other Championship Clubs losses...

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

£57m in their promotion season....£23m in previous season so they've lost £80m in 2 seasons yet the EFL are basically powerless to do anything.....what a crock of ****e...

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Exact same game we tried to play, but with Sparkless and Kneecap we were destined to fail (which we did, miserably). Who knows how we'd have fared with a decent manager......

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Eclipses some of our losses but they got it right on the pitch so they'll reap the fortunes the Premier League offers to cover their FFP losses when they get the hit...

4. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Safe as long as they stay in the Premier League? Exposed to FFP if they get relegated?

Didley Squat likes this.
  5. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Yes. Just as we were. That is why we should have shown Harold the door once we scraped our way back up. The parachute payments alone would have covered the fine and it would have been a lot smaller if Fernandes had accepted the decision rather than trying to prove he could beat the system because he was an infallible genius in his own eyes. If you recall, Bournemouth backed a relative unknown young manager instead of a famous name, pretty much kept the nucleus of the side that took them up, and settled their FFP liability quietly without fuss and fanfare. They have also never given themselves delusions of grandeur by insisting they could not survive in the Premier League unless they had a 45,000 brand new state of the art stadium. Not sure if Burnley ever exceeded their spending limits - they spent their parachute payment wisely by reinvesting it into the infrastructure of the club. The lessons are there for all to see

We have a millstone round our necks for as long as we have Tony Fernandes and his consortium as owners.

6. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Burnley were looked after by someone called Lee Hoos when they went up.
    I think Lee is trying very hard to get us relatively solvent. I personally think he's doing a fine job with a headcase club that is QPR.
    We really could and still can crash and burn
    ...admittedly caused by TF giving free range to Sparky (and his agent cronies) and Arry and his free spending meltdown.

Well done SLF and Lee Hoos

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

7. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Strongly agree with this. Those who want SLF gone cannot fully appreciate the magnitude of the predicament we are in. Were Hoos to walk, I would be very worried about the future of our club. However, with those guys and Amit in charge, I think we can eventually get back to winning ways. I've consistently stated that will take a long time. Much longer than most of us have patience for.

8. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I don't want to be overly pessimistic about things, but as much as I trust Hoos, I fail to see how we can become solvent.

Our losses are huge even with our final parachute payments, and once those payments are gone we will only balance the books by cutting the wage bill in half (not a fun prospect) or selling players for hugely inflated prices (unlikely, sadly).

Would be delighted if someone can show me what I'm missing.

It's easy to see why lots of clubs decide to go full tilt and gamble on promotion (damn the consequences) instead of taking austerity measures.

Re Wolves, surely they will cut a deal like Bournemouth did and just pay a fine. The league won't want to wait around for potentially 10 years to punish them...

9. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Saw a table somewhere showing last season's Championship Wages as a % to Income, with 15 Clubs over 100%, and most of the rest like ourselves not far off 100%. Unsustainable really. Apart from the 3 teams actually promoted to the PL is no prize money paid out by the EFL, as in the PL? With the FFP rules as they are, perhaps there needs to be.

10. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I think that the only way QPR will ever become solvent is if we can continue to pick up free transfers and then sell for millions. It is what the club had done for years - only the recklessness of certain managers who have caused the club problems by wasting money and paying wages on players that gave nothing back in return.
    We bought SLF for £15k and sold for millions, Andy Sinton was a relatively cheap purchase that was sold for just under £3mill, IF we can get £5 mill for the BFG then that is good business, there are hidden gems out there - we just need to get out scouting network performing. Eze, Freeman, Lumley and Luongo are all players that could generate some decent money.

11. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Villa made a loss of £36m before tax in their latest set of accounts........Actual loss was £54m before factoring in player sales.......Wages up to £73m and they have 379 staff working at the club of which 184 were players and coaches.......The new owners have pumped in £68m to keep the club afloat this season but are confident of complying with FFP.......I must be missing something<doh>

Just read they made a £15m loss the previous year so total losses £51m for 2 years so they'd have to get promoted or make a £12m profit this year.......

Now this is getting murkier......

From beeb website

Under the EFL's profitability and sustainability rules, Aston Villa are allowed to post losses of up to £61m over the three-year period which takes in their final season in the Premier League.

Villa made a loss of £80m in their last season in Premier League.....by my reckoning their accumulated losses are £143m.....way over the £61m allowed.....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  12. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

well......Villa wont go up.....and have they a player worth £12mill? answers on a postcard!!

13. QPR Oslo

Yes, it seems Grealish is valued at €20 million.

14. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Won't be £20m if they have to do a fire sale.....plus they've already spent a net £10m on new players in this seasons 2 transfer windows.........I can't see how they've cut their costs to meet FFP they were losing over £1m per week last year and probably doing the same this year if the owners have had to pump in £68m as reported......

15. QPR Oslo

They look to have big problems if they don't go up. But there is an article in the Mirror which says they have 2 possible escape routes. 1 is their training ground will be cut in 2 by HS2, they will get a replacement training ground as compensation, and maybe able to sell the first one for development, income from which will reduce their FFP losses. Or 2, they can sell Grealish, which sounds a quicker cash raiser! Also Birmingham and Sheffield Weds have big problems. With the wages bill/ income ratios in the Championship, it looks like most Clubs not getting a promotion will struggle on the current FFP rules.

16. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

There was something about them receiving £3m compensation in the latest account from HS2 as it was going through part of their training ground.......

17. QPR Oslo

Same place that has Grealish value at € 20 million has Freeman at just 3.5, both at 24 September 18. I can only imagine that gap has reduced considerably this season to date.

18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I thought FFP was about running costs, not capital assets.

I imagine most, if not all clubs in the Championship, if they were to actually hit the FFP targets, would be very small outfits indeed, whatever their history. The EFL generates almost no real revenue for its members. Soon it will only be recently relegated teams and those with gambling owners who can get to the PL, where the finances are totally different.

If QPR’s owners seriously never want to get into FFP trouble again, and want to stop chucking money at us, we will likely end up in League One, unless the majority of the clubs in the championship are trying to do the same thing. I can’t really see how a new stadium helps us unless we are in the PL.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    kiwiqpr likes this.
  19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

20. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Oslo - I forgot about Grealish…...probably cause he was injured.