1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wind operations?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by YouCanCallMeJeff, Jan 26, 2014.

1. YouCanCallMeJeff

YouCanCallMeJeff Active Member

Are they declared?

I was interested to hear Knockara Beau had had a wind op prior to yesterdays run.

It seems to me that wind ops regularly see some vast improvements in horses.

Is it made public knowledge somewhere the horses that have been in for operations? I would be interested in some stats on level stakes profit/loss on horses first time out after having a wind op.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Nope, and Nope

3. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Interesting point. They asked that during RTE racing today and Ted Walsh's thinking was it should be declared as it can make quite a difference.

I used to hear it said that it takes one or two runs for them to be effective. Recall Bob's Worth taking a run or two during his novice season to return to his best after one.

4. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Yep they say usually 2-3 runs before a return to normality if at all. Finians Rainbow was touted to get back to his peak after his but unfortunately he never regained his ability but it would be a good idea to list, i can't see it being that big of a deal to do so.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

I actually don't think that is the case. As far as i know it works almost straight away, assuming the horse is race fit. Which is why it most certainly should be declared. In Bobs Worth's case, Henderson said he had only been up the gallops once between the operation and his return but he needed to get a run into him before the festival. Which explains why it took him a few races.

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I wish I could have one - a few pints and meatloaf for dinner (with plenty of onions) and I'm farting like a goat <yikes>

7. stick

stick Bumper King

THE RAINBOW HUNTER also had a recent wind op!
    One for your notebooks regarding this subject ic Charlie Longsdons SUPERIOR QUALITY who had an oo this week!

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you are right hawkeye (although I must check). The one or two races is more to do with getting the horse fit. Whether the trainer chooses to do that on the track or on the training gallops is maybe not for us to know.