1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wimbledon game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2019/03/01/sam-ricketts-tells-shrewsbury-town-not-to-take-afc-wimbledon-lightly/

Wally Downes will have to do without captain Deji Oshilaja and Dylan Connolly for the trip to Shrewsbury Town. this is his thoughts about the game
    "Shrewsbury had a good little run, including two wins on the trot. It’s a game that we want to go and win. If they didn’t win last time out they would have been closer to us, but every match is a target game now for us. I’ve said there are 12 cup finals and this is one of them. We’ve got to go there and perform, form goes out of the window, and it’s a case of roll your sleeves up and win the game.”

it would be a mistake to think this will be an easy game and be dismissive of Wimbledon due to there position in the league, they have won two out of five games and six points out of a possible 15 two of the deafest came against Sunderland and Charlton both top six teams and they only lost both by a single goal and the form table puts them at 18th.

the crucial thing for town are;
    is Ferjiri fully fit , can town replicate the first half performance against Doncaster ? and keep it up for 90 minutes
    who be playing in grants position for the next two games , we got into a real mess the last time he did play with a large gap between the midfield and defence and our defence was turned far to easily and no one from midfield did holding job.

with Edwards fit to return and Nobel back from his suspension ,will he try Laurent as the holding midfielder ? or someone else ?
    when Campbell going off after 60 minutes it is crucial that town score in the first half.
    who will be bring on to sub him Payne got the nod last time or will it be Holloway ? or will take a punt and go with the free scoring and pacey Lifumpa
    Mwandwe ?

so which formation ? and will he mainly stick with the team who played Doncaster. town badly need the win for momentum and if we are to stay up we have to beat the teams around us, who scores first will be crucial can town start to be more consistent, we saw against Doncaster how more effective town are when pressing and keeping the ball on the ground.

Matster likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

the Wimbeldon manager has made his intentions very clear,he views every game as a cup final and is coming to win, so it will be

interesting what formation he goes with, i hope town hit the ground running and start with the same intensity they showed against Doncaster, this is a must not lose game, momentum ,consistency, goals,clean sheets and points are what we wont to see

3. Zenfootball2

wrong team wrong tactics cost us three points

4. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

A very disappointing end to a great week. I think Ricketts is making the mistake of tailoring his team to the opposition too much instead of sticking with a side that would have given them more problems than we did today. It was absolute madness not to start with Docherty today - he has arguably been our best player this season and, even if he could only manage an hour, should have started. Thought Edwards made some intelligent runs into the box but Campbell was in shoot on sight mode and did not pick him out. Despite both incidents at the end being right in front of me I got them both wrong - at the time I did not think it was a penalty and thought the goal from the keeper's throw should have stood - I see from the highlights it wa sthe other way around. Looking at the big picture I reckon 52 points should see us safe so just over a point a game should do it. Message to Ricketts - you will have plenty of time next season to impose your footballing philosophy onto the club - what we need for now is to have our best players on the pitch for as long as possible sent out with the simple instruction to roll up their sleeves and do everything they can to keep us in League 1.

Matster and Zenfootball2 like this.
  5. Zenfootball2

"we need for now is to have our best players on the pitch for as long as possible sent out with the simple instruction to roll up their sleeves and do everything they can to keep us in League 1"

which sums up the mistake he made today, after the performance by Haynes in helping push the attack,the good interplay between Ferjiri and Campbell it made no sense to change it, Docherty made an impact when he came on unlike Edwards.

6. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A game where we were mostly in control of what was happening. Sadly we didn't control the goals, their keeper made some good saves, but they were all aimed directly at him and he could safely bring them up to his chest.

Amadi Holloway, Edwards and Golborne started which made for some surprise. Amadi Holloway did some good work up alongside Campbell and made some good defensive play too. But did this reduce our chance of winning? Edwards got through 67 mins without a card or an injury! He did make some good play as mentioned above and was also on hand to chance and spillage by the keeper too. Golborne was fine but Haynes looks a better option at lb.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  7. Zenfootball2

i agree that Haynes gives us more option, his contributions against Doncaster was a factor in a lot of moves , Golborne seems get a lot of negative posts on the B&A forum but i think he is neat and tidy, he was playing against a tricky pacey winger who was very strong and got virtually no back up. Mitchell did ok in the few minutes he was on came and caught a few corners .