1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wimbledon 2016

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Jun 25, 2016.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

As this is the one tennis tournament that captivates the British public, we can post our thoughts on a daily basis for the next fortnight.

Who can possibly stop the dream final between Djokovic and Murray. Can Serena win again or is Father Time beginning to catch up as younger players emerge who have more mobility than she has right now? And how about the doubles competitions?

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Love Wimbledon fortnight....takes care of some time during the long break from football (though this year we have Euro 2016) and takes my mind off why people are leaving Saints and no one is joining (at least it seems like that). Then we have the Olympics....shall we run a sweepstake on how often they mention the zika virus. I shall keep my fingers crossed someone knocks out Djokovic....or one of his legs falls off.

The Ides of March likes this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Andy Murray plays Liam Brody in the first round, so at least one British chap will get through. James Ward plays Djokovic <yikes>

4. The Ides of March

Is Djokovic British? Well he does speak English more fluently than half the England football team.

Number 1 Jasper and ChilcoSaint like this.
  5. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching Wimbledon, if only to see how far the plucky English wildcards get - they can usually get from one end of the court to the other, before some upstart Eastern European teenager outplays them.

Tennis could be a very entertaining game, and England has many facilities, but they all appear to be behind the high fences of very elitist tennis clubs who care more about where your parents went to school that whether or not you can actually play tennis.

# Come on, Tim!

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Murray's route should be less exhausting than the French Open. Grass is a lot quicker than clay so Murray *should* spend less time on court through the early rounds.

7. The Ides of March

I thought there have been efforts to change that. Just think how much untapped talent there is on our streets in sports like tennis, all the athletic disciplines, and other ball games. This is what local and national Governments need to focus on, not cutting back on funding.

8. The Ides of March

Furthermore, as he will be assigned in the main for the Centre Court, he will be playing if it is hosing it down on the outside ones. However, I promise two weeks of sunshine.

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I think it's Murray's year again, can't underestimate the Lendl factor, I truly think that Murray is at least as talented as Djokovic but just falls behind Novak's awesome mental strength and consistency, maybe Ivan can even that up.

10. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Probably going to head down there on Monday for the first day. Always go at some point - but didn't get any tickets this year, so will probably queue again.

Always a highlight of the year, this fortnight. Let's hope the weather stays good.

11. fran-MLs little camera

I always find it amazing that the British developed lawn tennis and cricket....two sports that need sunny weather.

12. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Murray to win the Men's, Muguruza the Ladies and Mahut and Herbert the Men's doubles. Don't know enough about the Ladies or Mixed doubles to predict.

13. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Although not necessarily the next two weeks, in London SW9 :emoticon-0103-cool:

14. fran-MLs little camera

Am enjoying the Evans v Struff game....Evans winning 2 sets to one, but I suppose I will have to turn over for the football. Make it worth my while, England.

15. fran-MLs little camera

Evans won 3-1, so can now fully 'enjoy' the football.

16. fran-MLs little camera

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-tennis-player-pulled-off-205343540.html

Feel good story of British player Marcus Willis (772nd in world) who came through qualifying and won his first round match yesterday....earning him 65K for those old credit card bills. He's got Federer next...I know Fed isn't what he was, but I'm guessing that will be the end of the fairytale.

17. fran-MLs little camera

Nice feel good story today....Marcus Willis plays Roger Federer today. Can't be anything but a gallant Brit loser, but what an opportunity for him to enjoy a great day out. He's also earned about 65K compared to a few hundred pounds last year. Marcus's plan is to get the yellow ball over the net and between the white lines...faultless plan :) Federer said he will have to discover his story, because Willis has the advantage of knowing all about him. Murray says he should enjoy the day....so do I. Go, Marcus.

18. The Ides of March

Hopefully the rain clears away this allowing a full day's play. No Wimbledon coverage here on terrestrial TV which is quite ironic as they do show other ones like the Madrid Open, Moroccan Open, Mallorcan Grass Open, Edgbaston but when it comes to the majors ......nada!!

19. fran-MLs little camera

All set for cricket and tennis and most of it a washout. Djokovic just gone through in straight sets..though his French opponent played a spirited third set. Am I really evil and unsporting that I want Djok to sprain an ankle....nothing permanent, just enough to need 2 weeks rest? I am....oh well, I'll live with it. :)

20. fran-MLs little camera

Federer two sets up v Marcus Willis (6-0. 6-3). Willis can obviously play and the crowd are enjoying it...but Federer is like another species. Will surely help Willis get a coaching job.