1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wimbledon 2011 Championship

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by KingslandSFC, Jun 10, 2011.

1. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Wimbledon 2011

please log in to view this image

So with no Football to feed our minds for the next few months ... thought I would get our very own Wimbledon 2011 thread to share our views throughout the Championship!!

So those new to this beautiful sport ... here is the run down how its works...

Qualifying begins: 13th June - 16 June (Seeds Announced 16th June)
    The Championship: 20th June - 3rd July (The Draw will be 17th June)

I dunno about you ...but every year Wimbledon comes round the same question does pop in my head "Could this be the year a Brit can get to the final and win"

However I don't want to dampen the spirits , I wish Andy Murray all the best - but I am already predicting this year it will be Roger Federer's year!

Keep an eye out on a James Ward (if he qualifies) ... Promising newcomer! Showing potential to have reached Q/Final in AEGON Queen's Championship

So for those who need a run-down on basic rules of Tennis ...Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/rules_and_equipment/4222290.stm

Will it be ...Nadal , Federer OR ...Andy Murray

Rafael Nadal - Wimbledon Mens Singles Champion 2008 & 2010

Roger Federer - Wimbledon Mens Singles Champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006,2007,2009

Andy Murray - Mens Single Semi Finalist 2009, 2010

So.... over to you!!! <ok>

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Ward'll get nowhere, ranked 216 in the world. We'll see how he does against a decent opponent in Querrey today to see his true credentials, though credit where its due, he did very well second set yesterday.

3. KingslandKate

KingslandKate Member

:confused: Don't care about tennis, I thught this was the Saints board. Not even the same sport!! <doh>

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

For one so young, Murray seems to have passed his peak. His problem is that the top players are about his age now, so he can't wait for them to retire! The way he discards coaches shows that he's a man that won't listen to advice. Money sloshes around the tennis circuit, whether you win a major title or not. It's a disgrace that we can't produce a few more players at least near Murray's calibre. Football's the problem in this country. Even Murray nearly considered a football career. Rant over.

5. fran-MLs little camera

Not about music either, but people enjoyed that. In the closed season, we all get desperate. It's only cricket and football that get me though the summer. And of course we have the Under21s starting this weekend.

6. MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

nadal will win every game 6-0 in 3 sets, the bloke is insane

7. sussexsaint

sussexsaint Member

I would not be surprised if Murray wins it this year.

8. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

The beauty of Not606 is that we don't have Nazi moderators closing everything down. I'm more than happy to talk about non-Southampton related stuff in the company of other Southampton fans here, I see no reason why we need to be stuck to only topics about Southampton FC. If the thread's not interesting to you, don't go in it.

Besides, without topics like this the board would be dead. Nothing Saints related is happening at the moment.

9. Saint-Harry

Saint-Harry Member

Think it will be the usual Nadal - Federer final. Djorkovic will be close but I don't think he's the same player on grass that he is on clay/hard court. Murray will once again fall short IMO. My dark horse would be Roddick as he always seems to perform at Wimbledon!

10. KingslandSFC

Yep I agree .. Roddick does play well at Wimbledon, as after seeing his tricky at Queen's only yesterday ...I expect more of the same at Wimbledon this year!

11. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Well I know myself, and a few others, didn't mind Saint Kitch 'invading' the Saints board with his horse racing thread yesterday so at this moment I'm all for other sports being discussed on here.

As for the tennis, can't see past Nadal IMO. And as for Murray, can't stand him. Dumped out in the first round would do nicely for me so we don't have to go through the usual cr*p of people getting excited that he might win it this year. He won't...!!

12. KingslandSFC

So true <laugh>

13. fran-MLs little camera

Murray into semis after Cilic out injured.

14. Saint

Saint Active Member

Fed.

That is all.