1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will Pompey play up??

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

What a match ! Well done for the win <cheers>

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Some trepidation going into that match but a fantastic display and very exciting game.Shows we can mix it with the likes of Cowleys' Portsmouth,the sort of sides we've always struggled against.Nice to see KMc showing a bit of passion too.

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

Similar statistics

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Ref. Have you chaps never come across old Charlie Breakspear before? He is supposedly one of the most experienced Refs in the EFL. He's a real favourite at Home Park and we've had him quite often. He is one of the worst Refs you will ever come across but you have to say he is consistently crap and is that bad for both sides generally. He has also dished out more bookings and red cards than any of the others. Just hope you don't have to come across him too often. Personally I can't wait for him never to come back to our ground ever again.

7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

What a game and what an atmosphere! I love Portman Road when it’s rocking like it was yesterday. Portsmouth fans were also in good voice.

That match was arguably the most enjoyable to watch of the season. We had a brilliant start and created chances throughout the match. Defensively - despite conceding two penalties - I thought we were actually very strong and Wolfenden and Edmundson had much better games (following a couple of iffy performances). The midfield combination of Evans and Morsy must be one of our strongest in years. They both put in good displays and avoided the silly tackles of last weekend. Harness and Chaplin are a bubbling cauldron of creativity and incisive running, I really hope they both stay fit.

Worth checking out videos of our fans wasting time with the ball. For context, Portsmouth were one of those many sides happy to take things slow, waste time, and they appeared like they were happy to come and play for the point. One ball in the lower Cobbold must have taken a good minute to get back in play. Thought I saw one lad rolling the ball along the advertising hoardings, away from the Pompey player trying to get it!

Great performance, massive result - two winnable games against Cambridge (at home) Tuesday and basement boys Morecambe on Saturday.

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

It’s also worth stating that we’ve played the rest of the current top six and I’d argue only Plymouth looked better than us. There are some tough teams we’ve yet to play - Derby and Peterborough would worry me - but hopefully we can keep the form going and continue picking up three points against clubs we “should” be beating (no disrespect to them).

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Glad you were there Nuggets and yes I think we can all agree that was the best game this season, to come back from two unfortunate results even tho we dominated those two games for long spells too. I was especially pleased to see Morsy back on form and his old self, and not the niggly, tackly, yellow card prone skipper! And good that KM trusted Edmondson to come back stronger and wiser after a few dodgy games, and guilt at giving away 2 soft goals. He played really well. In fact, the whole team put in strong performances. Again, very good subs to give us pace and energy and create that amazing 3rd goal!

It was the perfect marker to put down at this early stage of the season. All teams respect and fear us. And all fans must believe that we can really escape this wretched league, and its abysmal offcials!

PR is rocking and as KM said in his excellent post match review, this ongoing support is so important to get behind the players, especially in difficult spells when things are not going quite right.

Roll on Tuesday.

10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Portman Road was a great place to be at yesterday, a big crowd, brilliant sunshine, and Town playing some terrific football at times, Pompey were outclassed and the two free gifts they were given flattered them as they offered nothing to worry Walton, their best spell came in the first twenty minutes of the second half but they did nothing with their possession.
    My feelings on the standard of the officials in this division are well known and their performance yesterday did nothing to change my opinion, just lousy ive seen better on a Sunday morning in a pub team game.
    I must mention our fans also, the noise in the North Stand was deafening at times and although its early in the season it seems as though good times could be coming back.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Been a while since I caught up on the tables. How’s this going Duncan?

12. DUNCAN DONUTS

18 place gap <laugh>