1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will jgf2 Stat's Agree with This?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 12, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

2. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Whilst 14th isn't exactly exciting, what would you be happy with?

I'm surprised they have Reading finishing so low & I think Birmingham have splashed enough cash to not be in the bottom 3.

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I would love to give you an answer but I have so little faith in Jnr because of last seasons debacle, his judgement on signings, his naivety on tactics, selections, broken promises, I know this is a new season but so far we have won 9 points and lost 9 points, so I am on hold with any answers for the time being but I'm sure you have noticed I have made no adverse criticisms so far this season and have promised to be quiet and see where we stand at the end of September, 11 games.

Just to say like many others I have very littte faith in the man but I accept he is the man in charge and hope with all the money he has spent, the new investments on stadia , staff and the faith that Steve Lansdown put on him we will soon show some progress but because like you , it's Bristol City FC, not the man that I have followed and supported, in my case for over 60 years..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

really a bit early although I have City to finish 14th, Burton for drop Bolton 21st Birmingham in bottom 10 Midds to win it Cardiff 8th.... My "revamped " finish" ( DURING THE BREAK )had Bolton Burton Millwall and Barnsley bottom 4, top 6 (8)
    Middboro
    Derby
    Fulham
    Leeds
    Wolves
    Cardiff
    Hull /Norwich
    note NOTICED on doing the guess its etc my list of positions "I HAD OMITTED LEEDS" who I had in 4th

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Just a simple question Wiz - you've stated your position re: LJ regularly in other threads, so no need to state again.

Regardless of who is in charge, what position do you think Bristol City (based on the squad and status of the club) should finish? Clearly, it's higher than 14th...

6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Sorry mate but I'll make my position clear as frequently and as I deem necessary whenever and wherever I wish.

A simple question deserves a simple answer, anywhere below the top 10 will be a severe disappointment, I have already predicted on jgf2's thread 21st but I hope it's better.

7. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Pretty ambitious - I think I'd be satisfied with 11th myself!

8. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I would be happy with 11th

Spending money is part and parcel of the Championship I'm afraid

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Anywhere below 10th? We've never finished above that since 2008 so why 10th.
    If you say the money spent I'm going to smash my head into the Severn bridge.
    Transfer fees have jumped up massively over the past two years.

10. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Expecting 10th or above is a bit ambitious in my view , though I accept you are entitled to yours, as ROD pointed out the money we've spent is really not that great , just what needs to be done to even have a chance to compete. I actually feel more confident than this time last year, whilst no one could have expected the debacle that happened , I do feel we are better equipped this year . My prediction is mid table, anything less I will be disappointed, anything more would be a bonus.

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I was asked what I would be happy with, so I answered, I also pointed out that on a previous jgf2 thread I had predicted 21st but I hope it's better.

12. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Bit of a throwback there Wiz - the conversation's moved on a fair bit.

If you think we'll finish 21st, but that we ought to finish 10th or higher then that's your opinion, and presumably due to your very low opinion of LJ. I personally think we ought to finish 15th-ish & that we are likely to achieve that, though next season we ought to finish 8th+.

I don't think LJ is particularly special, but nor do I think he's incompetent/a liability. Hard to know what the players think (even the most brilliant tactician/coach is no good as a manager if the players don't believe in him), but it doesn't seem like there's an underlying issue there. As always, time will tell, but I'll judge LJ on what I deem to be realistic expectations. If not reaching the top 10 is failure, then all I say is that those are some pretty lofty standards & I'm not convinced there are many managers out there that would have been capable of delivering that.

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I never said anything about failure the wording was ~ 'anywhere below the top 10 will be a severe disappointment.'

My own personal thoughts, other City fans will feel different and quite right.

14. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I tell you what wiz, there's a career in politics waiting for you if you want it! <laugh>

15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

No thanks but just for fun I will leave you with a quote from a politician called Johnson ~

On promises:

"It is easy to make promises - it is hard work to keep them."

16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

...So what's the context of that? Has anyone made any promises that you intend to hold them accountable to?

17. johngalleyfan2

absolutely, LJ in a way stated do not expect much until we have had 3 windows, we have and now he should be able to deliver "a happy season".. we stay above 16th!

18. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

16th would represent progress, if a little unexciting - I don't think the 'three windows' comment amounted to promising a top ten finish this season though!

19. johngalleyfan2

what do you think it amounted to? if not a promise of better things to come after it

20. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Steady improvement, ultimately resulting in better final league positions year on year. For this season I myself would categorise:

1st-2nd - Incredible! Significant Over-achievement
    3rd-6th - Very, very good. Over-achievement
    7th-12th - Good progress shown. Slight over-achievement
    13th-16th - OK, not exciting but acceptable. Par
    17th - 21st - Disappointing, no progress & even moving backward. Under-achievement
    22nd-24th - Total disaster and immediate dismissal if not already done so!. Significant under-achievement

...Next season I'd expect a bit better, with 7th-12th becoming the new 'par'.

What are your thoughts?

AshtonRed likes this.