1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wigan Athletic v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

We're in the top 6.......
    5 points behind the leaders
    2 points above 15th

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Potter's working wonders with what he's got, that's for sure. It's so tight, what a difference a few signings could have made.

Edit: I'll add... we're doing better than I expected but worries must remain regarding injuries in a long season. But you never know...

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

If we can beat Ipswich, it would help cement our top 6 spot given that a number of teams have a game in hand over us

4. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Not happy with a point, It should have been 3.....Never mind at least we never lost....

5. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Now there's a surprise!!!

6. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Before the game who would have been happy with a point away to a side unbeaten at home

7. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Me.

8. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Me too, but perhaps Dai's point is that based on chances created we should have come away with 3 points.

9. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

It's happened before and it will happen again.

10. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

11. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

How we didn't win that one is one of life's little mysteries I think. My October predictions are all up the spout now, I had that down as an easy win. Point away from home is always a good return so not too disappointing. Next game 3pts for sure <ok>

The team, so far, has exceeded all my expectations and if they continue to play as well for the rest of the season then, surely, a play-off birth wouldn't be out of the question would it? That's what you all, just like me, should be thinking and you probably are but I bet that positive thought comes with a piggy-back rider, a nagging doubt. Your all wondering, just like me, just how long before injury and fatigue attacks our rice paper thin squad, crippling our progress and stiffing any chance we have of making it to the play-offs. I know you're all thinking that too.

12. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

What it shows for me is how good Potter is, we have a very mediocre side and squad and this guy is getting a tune out of them, even when we are struggling with injuries. My big concern is that because the board has failed to backed him, if other clubs come calling he may well have his head turned and I think he is the glue that gels us and the brains that gets us playing the way we are. So please a little investment in January to show him we mean business or we could quickly see the back of one of the best coaches we have had in a long long time at this club.

13. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

You just prodded the other piggy-back rider I've got Lefty.

I reckon every other Championship clubs, half the prem, Celtic, Rangers and others too, have all noticed Potter and the relative success he is having with an excuse for a squad and a load of Virgin footballers.

When he arrived the playing assets he had at his disposal were stripped or ripped from the squad and were not replaced. Even he wasn't allowed to replace them as the board rejected his transfer list, £6.5m Woods being the highest profile player (due diligence my arse).

Potter has been slapped in the face by the owners imo, yet he hasn't moaned, he's not complained or even shown an ounce of dissent. What he has done is get on with his job, calmly, professionally and with dignity and all this adds up to him being a white hot prospect for all other clubs.

Potter must be on so many clubs shortlist by now that it is an inevitability that one, or more of them will come calling and soon. No doubt they'll come with offers including transfer budgets and promises of future backing and support, basically, all the things he's not getting here. When that happens he'll go and good luck to him. On top of this when he goes, we may well end up losing the cream of our tiny squad. I doubt prospects like Roberts, Celina, VDH, Dhanda, even McBurnie will want to stay, some may well end up going with him. Imo, if we don't get promoted this season, which aint gonna happen, Potter's gone for sure in the summer, if not before.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

I appreciate Dai's point, which reflects how well we've done so far that we're in a position to bemoan when drawing when we should have won .

15. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

(re: Stumpy)
    Mind you, he did stay at Ostersunds taking them through all the divisions. Perhaps he is a rare manager who likes to complete a project?

Stumpy and DragonPhilljack like this.
  16. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

But did his board back him with signings year on year to improve the squad, because you can guarantee he wont get that here.

daimungeezer likes this.
  17. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Bony coming back will be a huge boost for Potter, and if we can keep the injuries to a minimum, then we will have a very good chance of a top half finish, which will be incredible considering our boardroom wasters.....................<ok>

18. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Bruce has been sacked. What price Potter to Villa, where he will get massive financial backing ?

Stumpy likes this.
  19. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

It is no good moaning saying the Board is not Backing potts,,,,,Potts is part of the plan and knows full well what the club are doing from day one or he would never come here in the first place. He left a job that he was very successful with and he has confidence in his own ability that he accepted the job.....He is backed 100% behind scenes and will get money for a couple of players we need which potts and his team is already identifying and we will get the right players and no big time charlies who just want the money. Potts will carry on with his philosophy that they if you come here you will want to come here and accept the clubs wages policy and that is the right way to do things.....Stuff the one season wonders that want megabucks and a contract akin to the Manchester United's of the football world. That won't happen now thank god.....Don't worry about the politics of the club and let them get on with it as so far it is working a treat and can only get better......Just enjoy the football....

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  20. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

There's a strong rumour that on transfer dead line day he had to be persuaded to stay due to the lack of commitment to him from the owners ,The truth is out there

DragonPhilljack likes this.