1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why do you think vettel gets booed?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by tribo32, Sep 28, 2013.

?

Why do you think vettel gets booed

1. Multi-2,1 incident

2. His personality

3. His dominance

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tribo32

tribo32 Member

Everyone keeps going on about how it's because of Malaysia, but I don't buy that because surely he'd have been booed from that point onwards
    Personally I think it is because of his dominance that has caused a lack of any proper racing at the front

I do have to add that I would gladly boo him if I had the chance, we didn't need another Schumacher era. We suffered enough with a boring F1 and need some proper competition where cars are more closely matched
    But that's just my opinion

2. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

It's a bit of everything I think. He pretends to be a nice guy off track and then is a complete dick on track along with the fact that he thinks its down to him that the car is miles better than anyone else has got and because it's the same thing every week with a Vettel pole/win with the only car with TC onboard.

3. The Iceman

The Iceman Member

His dominance, that's why he grates on me anyway.

4. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

This should have been multiple-choice :p

Basically what Fred said plus a few other things. The people that surround him (i.e. Horner and Marko) do nothing to make him more likeable to the public, he's completely devoid of any charisma - despite a lack of a PR entourage team he has the personality of a robot, his childish generic gestures when winning (petting the car, "WOOHOO, YES BOYS"), and he can pretend to be the nicest guy on the grid but the second things turn south he becomes an immature little brat. Dominance is a big factor but I see it being a strictly more personal thing.

5. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Well the bits in bold are obviously bullshit.

It's because he's successful at the end of the day. Schumacher was hated because he was successful, Alonso was popular when he beat Schumacher but then became the most disliked driver on the grid, but is now one of the most popular now he's Vettel's nearest challenger. I was a Raikkonen fan since he was at Sauber and no one used to like him because he was monosyllabic and apparently boring, but despite his character being exactly the same as it always was he's now incredibly popular, probably the most popular guy on the grid with fans.

It's nothing to do with Malaysia, the cretin Joe Saward reckons it never happened before that but I know for a fact he's been jeered at Silverstone for the last four years, it's just never been as apparent before because the ridiculous podium interviews are recent development.

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It all goes back to WWII apparently.

7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why stop there :)

8. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

It's because he is black.

9. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Its because he's a German, I've just returned from a PDI in a Belgian factory and they have retained the pill poxes that are placed in each corner inside the factory, these were erected by the Germans when they took over the plant and turned it into a munitions facility, some things take a long time to forgive if ever, sadly.

10. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

What happened to my German humour something fishy comment .... Can a guy not make a German humour something fishy comment no more?

11. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Fish have feelings too!

12. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Would people boo a fish on the podium?

13. Di Resta is faster than u

Main reason: The domination is killing the sport

other reasons

But as Di Resta says he seems to act like the Red-Bulls success is all down to him. "you make your own luck" really pisses me off.
    Red-Bull make fizzy drinks...
    The questional legalities of the cars (flexi wings, TC etc.)
    He has a very average teammate and is in a dominant team so there is no one to challenge

Multi 21 has little to do with it, it didn't help but I didn't like him long before multi 21

14. St. Slicks of Stoneham

St. Slicks of Stoneham Active Member

Sebastian Vettel - other drivers are available.

I thinks it's because he's going down in history (in some people's eyes) as perhaps the greatest grand prix driver in history - if statistics tell the truth, which of course they don't - and of course, he's not.

He's good, just not that good. He's the first example of a manufactured champion.

15. StoneRosesRam

StoneRosesRam Member

Personally the domination factor is the biggest for me, in sport very few people/teams who dominate a sport for a prolonged period of time are liked by the fans. Guys like Federer are anomalies in that respect, however with Sebastian there are certain things which probably do not help him when it comes to increasing his popularity with the fans.

- The fact that he is so different with the media and out of the car in comparison to when he is in it. Don't get me wrong a driver should have a certain mindset when it comes to racing but with Vettel it is almost like Jeykll and Hyde. One of the reasons I reckon Kimi is so popular is due to the fact that there is not much discrepancy between the 'driver' and the 'person'.

- Rather like with Lewis he does not help himself with some of the comments he makes, calling Lewis an idiot at Germany last year, the Senna comment in Brazil which I thought was quite disrespectful, the 'dirty tricks' comment (I called BS on that at the time), also his sense of humour is not to everyone's taste for Instance the 'soaking testicles in the pool' joke I know has been seen by some people as being disrespectful to his rivals.

When it comes down to it I actually don't mind him too much he does make me laugh sometimes and he is a phenomenal driver but I can see why he does arouse quite a bit of anger from fans at times.

16. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

Indeed him and Lewis are the first real corporate driver champions.

17. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

or some wise men saw 2 kids with amazing talent and offered them a chance, toe the line and we'll get you to F1, to which they replied 'yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir' because only a moron wouldn't

18. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Define corporate champion?

Vettel wasn't picked up by RBR until he got into F1 via BMW.
    Alonso's career was guided by Briatore
    Schumacher had Mercedes and Wili Webber
    Hamilton, no doubt McLaren corporate machine.

All of them had help and guidance to get them into F1 in the first place, then to get them where they needed to be. Surely that make them all corporate to an extent? If none of them towed the line, their management teams would have spat them out before they became great.

19. tomcat606

tomcat606 Member

Vettel was 11 years old (1998) when he was choosen for the Red Bull Junior Team. BMW ADAC series came 2003/2004.

20. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I thought BMW released him from a contract to allow him to race for Torro Rosso?