1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why do other fans say Liverpool fans are delusional?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by tommynewberry, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BringBackfootie

BringBackfootie New Member

There was a lot of real Next year back in the early 1990s but that didn't last long<laugh>

It's been revamped by little dog big bark Spuds fans.
    please log in to view this image

2. Toela65

Toela65 Member

I did genuinely think Spurs fans were by far the most deluded as tv the global position and size of their average club, but then I spent a few hours on Geordie forums after the HBA links and I literally, God's honest couldn't believe my eyes. I had to read things twice.

Read these thread titles (page 1-3)

http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?board=2.0

3. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

The ones who say we're delusional are the type of people who think the X Factor is different from the rest of the music business. Ergo, delusional.

4. Dangerously Delicious

Dangerously Delicious Active Member

I know I'm biased but us LFC fans are some of the most realistic fans around, think this stance is possibly down to us being a semi-sleeping giant, not quite in deep sleep with the CL in 2005 but not exactly wide awake either! They can see that with the right management and attitude we're a genuine threat.

5. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you want an honest opinion, I think it's a combination of three things:

1. Like you say tommy, all clubs have that minority of fans with overblown expectations, but I think with Liverpool the expectations are higher due to your history, and are thrown into stark contrast by your relative performance over the past couple of decades. I think the history of success also tends to cause more of your fans to see one off successes as some sort of catalyst for a return to the glory days, which obviously leads to inflated expectations and the cycle repeats, and it's only quite recently the expectations have come down for a lot of LFC fans. I think it's a similar issue with the Spurs fans - there's a big different between how they see the size and level of their club and how their club actually performs.

2. I think a lot of your fans have a tendency to overestimate the quality of your individual players. That's something all fans do, but imo it seems Liverpool fans are more prone to it. Up until the last couple of years, if you asked a Liverpool fan to name a combined Utd / Liverpool (or Chelsea / Liverpool, Arsenal / Liverpool or even recent City / Liverpool) team they would often include a majority of Liverpool players, despite the fact your players just haven't performed at the same level as those of the other clubs over any sort of length of time.

3. Perhaps the main factor - you rise to the bait. If opposition fans tell you you're delusional and you get really pissed off with it, they'll keep doing it. It's pretty obvious to most opposition fans that you can get a good rise out of telling a Liverpool fan they are deluded, so they will go for it. Same reason so many City and Chelsea fans get abuse about buying the title, Utd fans get abuse about Fergie time / buying refs / etc etc.

If you bite, they will wum.

6. Jonesey

Jonesey Well-Known Member

That's what wumming (in it's truest sense) is all about.

7. redconn

redconn Active Member

I don't think a lot of times that's wrong

we have 6-7 players who are of top quality but a squad is 23. And depth has been a massive problem for 3 years now.

If you asked to pick a combined 23 (or even just matchday squad) we'd be in the vast minority. Add tho that coincidentally we've been strongest where United are viewed by most people as weakest.

You're 4 deep in wingers and they're all better than what we've had. We had Torres but the back up would be N'Gog and Voronin. You've always had 4-5 who were/are all better than everything we had other than TOrres and Suarez who weren't at the club at the same time.

Having 6-7 quailty players can get you to cup finals and the odd trophy but it's not going to last over a league season.

8. I think if you go back a couple of years to when we had the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Torres (the good version), Gerrard (in prime), etc we had a very good first team that could have been argued as being one of the best in the league. However, a team is only as strong as its weakest link and unfortunately we always had one or two positions that were somewhat questionable. Of course it is, and has been for some time now, a squad game and this is an area we struggled in and I believe it is the reason we didn't get hold of the trophy that season. Well, that and the endless 1-0 wins you buggers racked up <grr>

PS...just seen that Redconn has covered the squad part above too <ok>

9. saintPort&Ginger

Delusional and aspirational aren't synonyms in my thesaurus.

10. redconn

redconn Active Member

Just looking at strikers and wingers you can see why united have been so successful this year despite having one of the weakest defences and a centre midfield that seems to wilt if someone has a go at you.

RvP
    Rooney
    Hernandez
    WelBeck
    Nani
    Giggs
    Young
    Valencia

that's an ^%*&ing aresnal of attacking talent and depth.

I think a fair few sides if you stuck that on the rest of their positions and asked them if they thought they'd concede less and score the same as you they'd probably think "yes, I honestly think we would"

and that's only 3-4 positions in a starting XI depending on formation. It's the depth and quality of those positions that set you apart.

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm assuming you mean you've had 6-7 players who are top quality in past squads, cos if you are claiming that right now then I may have to drop a d-bomb ;)

Regardless, your whole point is fair, but it's one ultimately snowballs when combined with other claims, particularly those made by the overeager fans like baz and KPR. Whilst the majority of fans will accept the weaknesses in the squad and the long term impact on your league form, there are always those who will pull out the old "Suarez > Rooney, Gerrard > Scholes, Lucas > Carrick" etc to try and claim you aren't that far behind and only need the mystical "3 or 4 players" to win the league.

It's probably a similar situation to 87/88 where I'm sure plenty of Utd fans would have pointed to our immediate improvement over the previous season as an indicator of how close we were to winning the league. When in reality SAF knew the squad was a long way off, and the majority of the first team were too weak to win the league, and thus decided it was more productive to dismantle the entire squad and start from scratch than to try and hide the weaker players behind Robson, Whiteside, McClair and Strachan.

12. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I would just like to confirm that all scousers are delusional! have a nice day.............................

Who you playing next?..............

13. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

West Brom you stupid mountain goat.<laugh>

14. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

15. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

16. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

I am as pissed as a fart#!

17. redconn

redconn Active Member

fair dos

I think we're close enough to call it agreement

as much as some of ours take it a bit too far, you've got plenty of yours who think 'only one Liverpool player could make the United XI' and all your players are class when you win the title.

There are a handful of very, very good players at Liverpool but also there are plenty of squad players and prospects at united who wouldn't make our XI and most neutrals don't envy you for. They'd walk into the 23 though.

18. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

The simple fact is that we are called delusional because we are a deluded bunch. I mean, there are some fans who don't think we will get top 4 and there are some who don't think we will get Neymar. <doh>

19. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

If you think we are playing you next then you are deluded. <laugh>

20. Toela65

Toela65 Member

That 2009 team that destroyed Real Madrid and Utd in their own backyard was the best LFC team I've seen since late 80s. Best team I've seen that didn't win a league but should of.

That team was also rated in 2008/09 by UEFA as the best team in Europe. If we'd of kept Arbeloa and Xabi, keeping the team together, I think we'd of won the league by now. That first 11 was complete.

If I get to see another team as good as that one week in, week out again I'll be a very happy man.