1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why did we spend so much on a goalkeeper ,and was it a huge mistake?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Whether this guy becomes a great keeper or not, this must be the worst deal ever done in the RA era. Ludicrous fee, unproven player, loads of other options. Why?? Add to this the way Courtois shafted us, and went for half what this bloke cost and you begin to see that we are hopeless in the transfer market. Great work Maria.
    Get a replacement for Emanelo ASAP, we are heamoraging money and doing ridiculous deals.
    Anyone for Drinkwater? Come on surely he's worth $35 mill, wasn't it?

2. The Ginger Marks

I think they were quite astute in buying him but agree about the price being ludicrous. He is Spain's 2nd choice burin my view he will push De Gea all the way. Clearly a talent for the future imho.

3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

it's a hell of a lot of money but Liverpool just spent similar money on their new keeper. Needs must. We couldn't have realistically started the season with Cabalero when it was clear Courtois was going.

Not sure the options you refer to really were there. Everton didn't want to sell Pickford who was the only one I saw us seriously linked with. I think Oblak may have been mentioned as well but his buy out was even higher.

Least the kid is young so we should get plenty of years out of him.

The transfers have been hit and miss over the last couple of years without a doubt. But I think keeping Hazard, securing a new keeper and bringing in a fabulous couple of players in Kovacic and Jorginho (under Cities nose no less) has been solid business.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  4. Chelsea Pensioner

Some very good transfers but too many dopey ones. We should look to Atletico Madrid, they seem to keep delivering gems for much less than we spend.
    Looking back on the RA era, I think Claudio Rainieri found more good players than anyone since. Why not get him involved??

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

When you consider that Wolves signed Portugals No.1 keeper, Patricio, on a free transfer.....then yes, our deal for Kepa looks ****ing awful.
    Patricio is a decent keeper too.

BobbyD likes this.
  6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

it is what it is boys.

Hopefully Kepa begins to shine through.

7. Chelsea Pensioner

Aint that the truth !!!