1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who's up for the Cup?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Southcoastoldgaffer, Dec 4, 2021.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I do not remember Neil Thompson ever taking a bad corner.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

and the same logic applies to a lesser extent to crossing from open play, at which we are also hopeless.

3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think Cresswell was probably the last player at the Club who could cross the ball.

itfcptc likes this.
  4. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

JM has opted for a risky approach changing their shape after a season of 4231. They were not great at it but two proper full backs would have made a lot of difference as a modest tweak in jan.

But last night JM used 3 formations in one game I could discern. To stop us haemorrhaging goals he packed the midfield because carrol was so useless.

The issue is formation is not the magic wand; it’s relevant only in the context of the players you have at your disposal and what suits them best. And It’s irrelevant if you have unmotivated players that don’t want to try because we sacked the one reason they came to the club. We’re now playing the division’s ‘best 10’ at left wing and I have no idea where Chaplin or Celina can fit into a 442. It’s a mess.

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Is the training pitch the same size as Portman Road?

6. Bigalreigned

We have a training pitch??! ;)

Nuggets, San Diego, Redruth and 2 others like this.
  7. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

i just listened to the interview with Mckenna on you tube where he says he likes to pitch his training appropriate for the level of the players. so in our case it'l be: 'right lads, this is a 3 yard pass and it goes forwards; towards the other goal, ok...?'

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Well if it’s not, why not? The main pitch should be, shouldn’t it? How difficult would that be to sort out?

I hope the penalty areas at the training ground are 18 yards but I have my doubts on that too!

Redruth likes this.
  9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

You would think so, if it's not it would go some way to explaining why our corners are off the mark.

10. Bigalreigned

No,more like

“See this round thing,the aim is to get it in that square shaped hole at the other end!”

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I've felt since the start of the season apart from maybe the Doncaster game our players have always felt so far away from one another, there was no real flow and connection between the positions apart from when Burns was in the team and he connected well with Bonne and Donacien

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  12. itfcptc

We've gone from a manager who refused to change the formation even if we were losing to put another striker on to a manager who has changed it about 5/6 times in 3 matches.

Whilst I didn't agree with Cook in terms of his decisions to change the whole squad and be tactically inflexible he seemed to be going down the line of practice makes permanent, with a new squad keep the same formation and repeat habits and it will get there in the end. Wigan fans said at the beginning of his tenure some of the football was pretty dire but it got better.

13. itfcptc

The midfield has been completely imbalanced. I like Morsey and he's a talented boy, his League debut was one of the best displays I've seen in midfield for a long time, problem is he is a little like Nsiala in that he can be a little rash at times and when he's your sitter than can create lots of openings. I'd like to see us play a midfield 3 with them all taking responsibility both attacking and defensively.

Completely agree re: Burns, think he was our best player at the start of the season, I haven't seen that good wing play for a while, he just attacks space so well and has good a pretty food end product also. He's definitely been our best signing

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  14. itfcptc

Yes me too, I consider myself as someone who likes to see good attractive football but if you get a set piece in the opposition half, lump it into the box and see what happens. If you're not in a good run of form set pieces can be vital

15. itfcptc

Penney has been particularly poor at this mind you when we did get some good balls into the box neither if our strikers attacked the right areas

16. itfcptc

Also the last player to play well consistently for more than 1 season at Town and probably the only one to do that in about 15 years