1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who would Barca play after Independence?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by E.T. Fairfax, Oct 3, 2017.

1. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

OR.

The model previously mooted included no promotions or relegations.

OK, so the 'big boys go off on their own to play with themselves. Not a lot at stake and all just a bit sterile.

MEANWHILE, back in the real World the rest will carry on as before.
    Little will have changed, apart from the big Clubs who got most of the £££'s and all the top players are out of our picture.
    What will be left is more of a level playing field, in the top division.
    Probably less Skye running the game.
    Players who will be a bit easier to identify with.
    A top League where just about any Team can win it.
    PERHAPS, just perhaps, even exciting football.

Well, hope costs nowt.:emoticon-0145-shake

rooch 3 likes this.
  2. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Weirdo.

3. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

A man who doesn't like benders calls me a weirdo <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh> having my doubts about you Jemima sorry I mean Jimmy.

Billy Death likes this.
  4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

A European Super League without promotion or relegation is what I'm talking about. It will have the same effect as the Premier League has but on steroids. It will become THE pinnacle, with all of the top players going there, all of the sponsorship going there, all of the media attention going there, and ultimately the majority of public interest going there. With reduced quality, reduced media and sponsorship income, it will be increasingly hard for teams that remain in the domestic leagues to hang on to decent players, so interest will wain and income from media and sponsorship will fall and attendances will fall and so on and so on. As this spiral continues the domestic leagues will increasingly become irrelevant. There won't be some utopian state of affairs where the domestic leagues become more interesting without the big clubs. The rich clubs will just get richer and the rest will get poorer.

Take a look at the disparities between the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga and other European Leagues. Before the Champions League, it was more common for clubs outside of those leagues to win, or at least get to the final of, the European Cup. It's pretty much a closed book now. A European Super League will have a similar effect.

5. rooch 3

Its strange how people have different opinions because I think exactly the opposite I would love them to piss off.<ok>

6. The Norton Cat

And support a team that would always be second rate, without any hope of ever reaching the highest echelons of the sport? At least under the current arrangements it is still technically possible for a club like Sunderland or even Hartlepool, or Forest Green Rovers, to reach the highest level of club football even if it is unlikely. A European Super League would rip the heart out of football.

7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Leicester springs to mind.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  8. The Norton Cat

Yes! They or us, or anyone else might win the league a lot more without the 'big' clubs but it would always be a hollow victory.

Nacho likes this.
  9. rooch 3

I don't think the super league would last 5 minutes it would be as boring as **** like the prem is now.

10. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Leagues without promotion and relegation are dogshit.

11. polyphemus

Consider that away from The Premier League and mega-rich players with their free spending Wags, there is a World where Football continues to be played and enjoyed by millions.

This week was FA Cup week for the 'little Teams'. Around the country hundreds, sometimes thousands, will have gathered in cold draughty stadiums to get vey excited about THEIR Team.

Go back to when Darlington folded and the spirit of the supporters who got it going again.

My point is that you don't have to support a 'big club' to enjoy football.

Away from the prima donna's, the hype and the Sky Schedule, lies another game that just might be worth looking at.

I suppose that I'm thinking that IF the system did change and our team was to become a 'big fish' in the smaller pond, it might not be so bad.

If we didn't like it we could do what the Londoners do and follow MU. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

12. The Norton Cat

I am considering that. The magic of football is that the small clubs can, technically, work their way up to the highest levels of football and on some occasions do compete against the biggest clubs in the land. The Premier League came along and massively widened the gulf between clubs in the English Leagues. A European Super League would only cause that to widen further. There would be no chances for the Blyth Spartans or South Shields of this world to compete against Manchester Utd or whoever and no fairy tale stories like Leicester or Hoffenheim or 1960s Ipswich or 1970s Forest or Castel di Sangro or Eibar or Girona. A closed European Super League would be bad for the game at all levels. It might be wonderful if the pond was smaller but no matter how much anyone tried to pretend, we'd all know that it was a pale reflection of what football could and should be.

Indeed Polyphemus, there would be no legends to abound in and any victories that we won would be against 'nobody'.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  13. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Homo

Billy Death likes this.
  14. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Lol. <laugh>

15. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

The Catalonian FA have announced their opening day fixtures for next season.
    Barcelona vs Barcelona B
    Barcelona C vs Barcelona D
    Barcelona E vs Barcelona F
    Barcelona G vs Barcelona H
    Barcelona I vs Barcelona J
    Barcelona K vs Barcelona L
    Barcelona M vs Gerona

Burly Hurley, rooch 3 and Billy Death like this.
  16. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I prefer the away games so I'm really looking forward to the second half of the season!

Gil T Azell and Disco down under like this.
  17. polyphemus

There is are precedent's for a Team to play in another country's League.

In UK we have welsh teams in The Prem and Ch/Sp. Berwick, an English Team, play in the Scottish League.
    But this can all be blamed on history following our inventing the game.

A more logical example is Monaco playing in the French League.

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I still don't agree with Welsh teams playing in English leagues, how about if Sunderland decided they'd rather go and play in Wales, would the Welsh allow it? Would they balls.

19. The Norton Cat

Historical anomaly innit?
    It's because football really didn't take off in the southern parts of Wales until much later than the rest of the UK due to the popularity of Rugby Union. There was no Welsh league for the small number of clubs that existed in Wales to join so their only option was to join the English league system.

20. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

You learn something new everyday. <doh><laugh>