1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who Will Be Sold In January?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brixham Saint, Dec 13, 2018.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Every time I have watched a stream or televised match in which JWP has been playing, the commentators praise both his dead ball ability and work rate without fail, and are puzzled why he doesn’t play more often. Whatever certain Saints fans think of him, he seems to be held in high esteem generally. I hope and believe that Ralph will give him more chances to prove his worth. He would certainly have been impressed with him during the Tottenham game last week, where he ran further than any other Saints player.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Completely agree.

3. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

It's like Fat Sam said on TS this morning, it's very hard selling players nowadays due to the salaries they're on with most premier league clubs, only another premier league club can afford average players salaries, so the club selling can end up losing money in any deal, especially if the player goes to a European club, other than the top 7 or 8, which none of ours will do.

4. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

Don't want to lose JWP. Think he might fit Ralph a lot better than sparky. Also he can take a mean corner and a mean free kick.

Davis can go if he wants go get regular football, alternatively he might move somewhere else in the club in a training capacity - he's been a good servant to the club.

We need someone to bang in the goals, so I wouldn't sell both Gabbi and Austin.

there's worse defenders than Yoshida and his experience will be useful to younger players alongside him.

Saints_Alive and ChilcoSaint like this.
  5. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

I can not see anyone being sold in January, hopefully Forster can be moved on, and anyone not willing to bust a nut can be shown the door. If all goes well with Ralph, I can see a big clear out in the summer

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Agreed!!

7. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Lovin’ the support for JWP. Hope someone shows him this thread.

Saints_Alive and ChilcoSaint like this.
  8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a sustained run of games with JWP and Pierre part of the whole midfield for ages. Under Puel it was effective and under Pellegrino the team always had better contol of matches but it was never persevered with for a length of time. They are the workhorses that give the more creative offensive players licence to express themselves more and both are liable to get into the box themselves on occasions.

9. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I too very much doubt that anyone will be sold in January............A few may be loaned out perhaps.
    Also I don't think JWP will be sold in the short to medium term at all. A couple of our current players out on loan will be sold during the summer but I have a nasty feeling were not going to see much come in then either....I hope I'm wrong........

10. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

As Brixham Saint/billyvegas has correctly calculated, there are some players whose value is less than the wages we owe them for the rest of their contract. That's when weird things start to happen, for example it would clearly be good for us to pay some % of Davis's remaining salary for him to go Rangers.

There is another problem with a big squad that I can't really explain better than players taking up space on the training ground. Things like coaching/physical attention getting spread more thinly, less focus in our tactics, fewer opportunities for young players.

11. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Evidently Davis has run his race at Saints , but I’d still be sad to see him go. Model pro who always got his head down and got on with it and always put in 110% whatever the situation, and has never moaned once. Shame more players ain’t like him. One the younger players should look at and aspire to be like.Top man.

12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Davis will simply cancel his contract to expedite the move. Will likely cost him 1-1.5m in wages for the final six months of his contact, but at his age that's probably a trade-off he is willing to make in order to play (and play with a club where he probably has a pathway into coaching if he desires such).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018