1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who else has never lived in Hull or even East Yorkshire?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Jimmy Graham's bald head, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

An interesting story emanates from a conversation held a while back with a lad on another Hull City board about how our families came to be in Australia.

Turns out his Grandad was a young merchant seaman from Hull and in the early 1920's jumped ship and swam to the shore as the ship was leaving a port in South Australia.Friends he had met ashore hid him from the authorities and ultimately he found a job, married and started a family. His dad nor he has ever visited Hull and that is a life ambition for him. His grandad lived in a house only a stones throw away from the old Boothferry Park.

Now a welder in his early fifties he is talking about the possibility of joining the John Firth ex-pats group on their planned visit to a City match next August. Evidently his wife has a severe flying phobia which does complicate things somewhat.

2. tigercity

tigercity Well-Known Member

proud of you.. that is something some people just will never understand..

I personally never ever remember "choosing" Hull City as my club.. it just is.. I grew into it.. my dad took me to BP in the 80s - Stoke he says was the first, I remember West Ham though.. it was the game they had a collection for the Hillsborough disaster..

I was born in Beverley and I've lived in (order) Catwick, Hornsea, Derby, a kibbutz in Isreal, St Petersburg (Russia), Izmir & Antalya (Turkey), Lyon (present)..

so been to local games of Hull City, Derby County, Goztepe, Antalyaspor & Olympique Lyon.

3. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Great story.

4. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

I hope you've crucified Febbos and the Yank lads then. No connection to Hull, have they?

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Aye up, it's that sad desperate City stalker popping up yet again and still spouting dull, clueless bollocks I see.<ok>

6. Jerel Ifil

I "stalk" every forum in the Championship (and some beyond) because I'm interested in learning and discussing. If you want a sanitized Easties-only zone, go on City Independent or whatever.

Please explain why my post is dull, clueless bollocks, because as far as I can see, I'm just trying to apply amberosia's standards consistently. I.e. the standard that if you support a club you've no geographical connection with, you should be berated.

7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Your answer confirms, your dull clueless and City obsessed nature. If you genuinely believe you've made a valid point I pity you.

8. Jerel Ifil

And you side-step entering the argument like a logical person again.

Do you not have a response, is that it?

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You've shown before that you're incapable of logical argument, you just troll away trying to get TWS a mention on threads. If you could do it in an amusing or interesting way it wouldn't be too bad. But you're so, so dull.

As for the football bit, just sit quiet and think about the comments leveled about Man U fans from Surrey etc. and leave this thread for the grown ups, there's a love.

10. Jerel Ifil

I argue logically every time I'm discussing football. You pepper people with baseless ****, ad hominem insults and finger-in-ears lalalalala comments which blatantly ignore the most pertinent points. And after all the **** we get for our fans not from Leeds (including from you), I have every right to mention us on a thread where there are Hull fans with no connection to Hull who aren't being similarly treated. Like I say, this isn't a Hull City forum, it's a sports forum. And if you don't consider my posts amusing or interesting, that's your problem. I'm not here to entertain bitter old men.

What about those comments? I don't agree with them and don't level them myself. It would be hypocritical, as it would for pretty much any fan of a football club with out of town fans who they accept.

OK, I'll come back in six years when I turn twelve.

Spunky kisses.

11. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

What a screeching mess of a reply that was. It simply confirmed you haven't understood the point at all.

Just stick to the last bit and come back in 6 years, although I suspect that'll just be one more in the long line of bollocks under your names.

13. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Before we were rudely interrupted...

I think most supporters have some family or geographic connection with this area. Of the few that don't they are generally so far removed from English football, that 'choosing' City is probably a bigger challenge for them to keep up than it is for that are City fans by accident of birth.

People that genuinely choose a club they've no connection to over less successful local teams miss so, so much of what being a football fan's really about. They seem to be filling some void in their life with vicarious 'success'.

14. Amin Yapusi

So I was an accidental birth? Great <ok>

And at the time I was brought into supporting City (2 years old) Leicester were doing brilliant in the premier league. By the time I was old enough to understand things and have friends who all supported Leicester who were still doing brilliant, I still stuck my allegiance to City. I could have chosen to convert to Leicester with everyone I knew and follow the success of my local team, and granted would have missed out on so much if I did, but if I had, with choosing my local team it wouldn't have made me any less of a fan or make me a glory hunter.

There's also a local in my pub who's an ex Leicester hooligan, who's choice of supporting Liverpool is so surreal and such a long story I won't go into it (no family or geographical connection), but for anyone to call him a glory hunter would cause him deep offence and rightly so, IMO it's not the club someone supports and where they live/family originates that makes them plastic, but the reasons and manner for choosing a club.

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I don't know if I'm misreading yours or if you misread mine, but I think we're effectively saying the same thing.

16. Amin Yapusi

Probably me I've been on the beer <ok>

please log in to view this image

17. Amin Yapusi

I thought you were saying, if someone who doesn't support their local club doesn't choose Hull City, they're a plastic. I'll have to re read in the morning.

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Nah, I'm not even sure what a plastic is. I'd favour it being someone that keeps changing clubs depending on success.

My main point is that, generally speaking, to follow a club, you need some connection to it. This could be family, geographic or 'other'. This can leave people with a genuine choice, as you had between family, friends and geography.

A small percentage, such as the Americans on this thread, were in a position to choose ay English team really. Having chosen City, they're going to have a harder job sticking to it. If they do, they'll start to feel a closer and closer bond.

Those living near or having connection a lower Club and choosing a larger one, not because of links but simply because they feel it elevates them deserve little respect.

Just to muddy the waters, I know of a couple of people at the KC who followed other Clubs in their youth because that's where they lived. Since then they moved and settled up here and raised a family. The kids wanted to watch football and follow their local team, which meant dad had to take them. After several years sharing the journey, dad becomes a City fan. (All pre 'success' I hasten to add)

19. bigfattiger

bigfattiger Well-Known Member

born and bred on the owls side of Sheffield but my devotion has never been in doubt. never regarded myself as anything other than 100% tiger.

it ain't where your feet walk, it's where your heart beats.

COYH

20. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

That was my first kit too! Admittedly a handy down from my brother but I've still got it, probably about 6 at the time...